The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ipswichblade
We never looked likely to get 2nd though...I never thought we would. As soon as the play off place was confirmed I know we would lose again in the play offs.
I hope to God we don't have to go through the play off this year!

3 play off finals and not 1 goal to show = joke.
1997: Palace 1 Blades 0
2003: Wolves 3 Blades 0
2009: Burnley 1 Blades 0

:rolleyes:

That is a pretty feeble record. Playoffs just favour the people that have come in to a bit of form at the end of season which is normally those in 5th and 6th.

In an ideal world you, the owls and huds would go up, can't stand Charlton and would rather Yorkshire be better presented higher up the football league. There's more than enough cockney clubs about.
I wish Devon and Dorset were better-represented higher up the League. :colonhash:
Original post by marcusmerehay
I wish Devon and Dorset were better-represented higher up the League. :colonhash:

They only have Torquay and Yeovil don't they?
Original post by original_username
That is a pretty feeble record. Playoffs just favour the people that have come in to a bit of form at the end of season which is normally those in 5th and 6th.

In an ideal world you, the owls and huds would go up, can't stand Charlton and would rather Yorkshire be better presented higher up the football league. There's more than enough cockney clubs about.

Yes, we always bottle it in big games sadly...doesn't matter what form we have had going into the play offs. Always will I suppose! :rolleyes:
Original post by original_username
They only have Torquay and Yeovil don't they?

There's Exeter, Bournemouth and Plymouth in the League too, but after that there's Dorchester and Truro in the BSS and not a lot else.
Reply 6645
As a Wednesday fan, I would like to say it's embarrassing that a city as big as Sheffield has no teams any higher than League 1. We used to be quite a big footballing city! I do dislike United, of course, but right now I think BOTH teams should go up.. I want to be proud of Sheffield!
Original post by DJB_1990
I suspect that Sean O'Driscoll would likely be a culture shock for Stevenage if he was appointed. I got the impression that he prioritised technical training over fitness training which brought us, at its peak a great slow tempo, passing game but I think probably contributed to the mountains of injuries we've had over the last year.

He had a hands-off approach to management, giving the players a big say in tactics and even let senior players manage the team for a pre-season friendly. He really did value the 'thinking player' like himself who would fit into his flexible system with the ability to change tactics/formation (or "structure" as he called them) sometimes literally 10 times in a game to adapt to the opposition.

We had minimal pace and strength in the squad because, believe it or not it's hard to get intelligent, technical players also with strength or pace for free in the Championship. We were also a team of midgets under him and rarely signed players taller than 5ft10, as a result we never score from set pieces ever and conceded loads from them. This has been our weakness for almost all his time at the club.

I don't think he's in too much of a hurry to get back into management as he seems happy helping his old player Carl Fletcher at Plymouth at the moment anyway. He's probably just had a big payoff too after we dismissed him with him being on a 3 year rolling contract.

Thanks for this post, cleared a lot up. O'Driscoll is definitely out of the running however, as I hear he's joined Nottingham Forest as a coach. Still nothing new on the Stevenage managerial vacancy though, Mark Roberts and Ali Uzunhasanoglu will lead the managerial team again today, away to Scunthorpe United.
Original post by cloop
As a Wednesday fan, I would like to say it's embarrassing that a city as big as Sheffield has no teams any higher than League 1. We used to be quite a big footballing city! I do dislike United, of course, but right now I think BOTH teams should go up.. I want to be proud of Sheffield!

I really can't see us both going up. :colondollar: Your record in the play offs is better than ours so you can go up though the play offs and then we can go up in 2nd place. :biggrin:
Reply 6648
I really can't see us both going up. :colondollar: Your record in the play offs is better than ours so you can go up though the play offs and then we can go up in 2nd place. :biggrin:

Ha, no I can't either, but it would be nice! Will miss the derbies when we're in the Championship :smile: Stay away from our 2nd place spot please.. You're making me jittery!
Ugh, this just isn't right. No game today because we're on TV on Monday night...

I hate having free Saturday afternoons, it's not something that should exist.
Original post by cloop
Ha, no I can't either, but it would be nice! Will miss the derbies when we're in the Championship :smile: Stay away from our 2nd place spot please.. You're making me jittery!

Haha! :biggrin:
Original post by sr90
Agree with you there, Monday night football can **** right off.

Steel City play off final anyone? :wink: That would be interesting, Charlton have the league wrapped up and 2nd is anyones guess. It could happen!

and i agree, it's a joke how both Sheffield clubs have ended up in League One. Shame one of you will probably be there next year.

No thank you! :eek:
The only difference between us and Charlton today is one fantastic set piece. We were all over them in the second half but couldn't get the goal. Shame but think Charlton will easily finish in top spot so we are going for 2nd spot. Onto the next game, which I believe is Colchester away as it's FA CUP weekend next weekend.
Original post by Alofleicester
Ugh, this just isn't right. No game today because we're on TV on Monday night...

I hate having free Saturday afternoons, it's not something that should exist.

I don't mind the one I've had. Its meant a return to form for the Dons. 2 wins out of 2, and only 12 points off the play-offs! :smile:
Have to say league one has been turned on it's head again with Blades losing (although to be fair it was Charlton who just don't lose to anyone). And Wednesday blew a lead yet again this time against Hartlepool (I would have love to have seen Jeff Stelling's reaction), and finally Huddersfield or should I say Jordan Rhodes is back in second position.
Reply 6655
Another away defeat. That's now 12/14 away games we've lost this season.
hahaha anyone watching the football league hear about Paolo Di Canio's rant in the post match interview, priceless.
Original post by Rock Fan
hahaha anyone watching the football league hear about Paolo Di Canio's rant in the post match interview, priceless.

Certianly made me laugh!
What didn't make me laugh was the decision to allow Huddersfield's first goal (clear foul on the keeper), made even more of a joke by us having a perfectly good goal disallowed for a foul on the Chalrton keeper! :rolleyes: We got none of the luck yesterday and in a big game like that, it's vital.
Birmingham keeping up the good run. Still a long way to go but we are hitting form at the right part of the season.
Certianly made me laugh!
What didn't make me laugh was the decision to allow Huddersfield's first goal (clear foul on the keeper), made even more of a joke by us having a perfectly good goal disallowed for a foul on the Chalrton keeper! :rolleyes: We got none of the luck yesterday and in a big game like that, it's vital.

These referees are just not consistent enough. Tonight should be interesting in the Championship.

Latest