Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Martin Gritton ex-argyle player - was he a good player for you?

"Can't be worse than Sunderland", famous last words Gem! I'd LOVE to see three estabilished Premiership clubs come down because it makes a change for the PL and it brings "big" clubs down to Home Park which boasts our gate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne Auraque)
    Martin Gritton ex-argyle player - was he a good player for you?

"Can't be worse than Sunderland", famous last words Gem! I'd LOVE to see three estabilished Premiership clubs come down because it makes a change for the PL and it brings "big" clubs down to Home Park which boasts our gate
    Indeed.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    After my judas appearance at Arsenal, I see good old Barnet has won a match! Can we avoid it. Don't even want to say it.

Sheff Utd got it all wrapped up. Watford now getting worse towards the end of the season, so nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Play offs? Who does everyone think will win them and who do you want to win them?

I hope Leeds get knocked out in the semi's and then all my mates with hotels booked in Cardiff will have to cancel them. Get my own back for the comments they said to me in 2003.

Think Palace will win them me.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    I think Palace will do it as well. Hail Mr Jordan for speaking his mind. That would be the ultimate kick in the teeth for many Chairman

ReputationRep:
    Have been away from TSR for a couple of days ... I think a few things need to be addressed.

(Original post by leedsblade)
    A year ago today...
    The Blades had just beat Leeds 4-0 at Elland Road and I was out celebrating the win.
    Leeds 0 Blades 4 (Webber, Montgomery, Gray x2) 05/04/05

Not sure which is best...that or being so close to promotion a year later. Well Ok, maybe the latter but it was still damn good.
    If you can honestly, even in the form of a joke compare the result of one match (which was in terms of the league, meaningless), however good the result, to the prospect of promotion to the Premier league, something is wrong. The fact that there is a one year anniversary rememberance of this match is truly indicative of how envious some people are of Leeds United. It was a game well won, a year ago, a game you deserved to win, you were good, we were poor. But you won't find many fans reiterating results of 1 year old victories which essentially meant very little - if beating a Leeds Utd who 4 months previously were 20 mins from going bust means that much, something is up.

(Original post by Anne Auraque)
    We drew with Leeds just to help Gem. Sheffield Utd are pretty safe now!
    Another poor performance from us. A game Plymouth fully deserved a point from. Sheff Utd are pretty safe now...and we won't catch them. I'm surprised at Watford's downturn in form as well- but until everything is cast in mathematics ...there are points to play for.

(Original post by Carl1982)
    I can't believe the likes of Leeds, Palace and Watford threw it away, what a golden chance they had.
    Yer you're right. To be fair to Warnock he did everything he could to throw it away, but Palace's poor start to the season and then poor performance at Leicester coupled with the form of Leeds and Watford going down the pan, laid the Premiership on a red carpet for the Blunts. Ah well ... to the playoffs.

I hope Leeds get knocked out in the semi's
    Now there's a surprise.

We win on friday and we are as good as up. Strange and crap thing is we'll be promoted the next day if Leeds and Watford fail to win their games, when we aint playing. Rather save it for the Leeds home match a week tuesday personally
    Yer Warnock will bow to the fans .... he'll say, guys let Cardiff win, so we can save promotion till the Leeds game .... and then if things don't go to plan for you lot the next day at ER and Molineux, the blunts will be totally nerve free against us on easter tuesday. What a master plan. (O and Watford are playing on Friday)

As for who I think will win the playoffs, yer, Palace. But as sure as grass is green, Elland Road will be rocking for the home playoff leg.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Oh come on. Of course I'm gonna say I want Leeds to lose in the play offs. Nobody can imagine the crap I've taken off Leeds fans over the years. Got to take banter well but Leeds fans don't seem to or the ones I know don't. Always got to mention the fact when we beat Leeds 4-0 it didn't really matter because Leeds nearly went bust and just to be around is an achievement bla bla bla. Not many fans after the game said well done, you played very well...Webber's goal was class etc etc. It was how poor Leeds were and how bad things were off the pitch etc etc.
    The latest rumour is Leeds fans for tickets for BL game a week tomorrow night are deciding not to go to the game as they don't want to be at the match if we are promoted. Good way to get behind the team ahead of important play off games that.
    School kees asking my sister and her mates if they want free tickets to the Leeds v Reading home match...oh dear...giving away free tickets to these important games when the team are in the play offs. I won't say what she told them.

The Leeds game last season was memorable Ok so a bit of an over reaction and promotion will be so much better for definite...I've lived in Leeds for all my life uptil last Septemeber so it was very special. I'm not jealous of Leeds and I don't care what anyone says. I could have chosen to support Leeds and I went to loads of games over the years with mates including champions leagues games (before you say it...yes something I'll never experience with the Blades) but quite honestly I'd rather see the Blades in the conference than go to support Leeds in any division.
    Nothing there at Helland Road for me though....apart from when the Blades play there.

Good luck in the play offs...you're gonna need it.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    ^What dyu mean "O come on". You have every right to want Leeds to lose, I remember wanting Wolves to beat Blunts when you were in the Playoff final - mainly cos of Warnock. But regardless of your personal experience, please don't tar all Leeds fans with the same brush- I believe in my previous post, I said you deserved to win and played well.

But this:
    "because Leeds nearly went bust and just to be around is an achievement bla bla bla"
    is always mentioned is because it was important, do remember it was an achievement to still be operating as a football club.

I'll say it for the third time. Well done on beating us 4-0. You deserved to win. You were good.

The latest rumour is Leeds fans for tickets for BL game a week tomorrow night are deciding not to go to the game as they don't want to be at the match if we are promoted. Good way to get behind the team ahead of important play off games that.
    School kees asking my sister and her mates if they want free tickets to the Leeds v Reading home match...oh dear...giving away free tickets to these important games when the team are in the play offs. I won't say what she told them.
    I don't know if the rumours are true - but our away support has been phenomenal all season..all the championship fans on this board will agree. In real terms... the next two games don't actually mean that much if we're settling for the playoffs (that's not an excuse...I would hate for us to lose at BL). I wish I had a free ticket for the Reading game..I had to pay for mine.

True football fans never change alleigance (let alone to local rivals) and so of course I wouldn't expect you to want to support Leeds ahead of your team regardless of what division you find yourself in.

You're right about us needing luck in the playoffs...we'll need loads of luck.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Talking to a few Palace fans...seems they aren't so confident.
    Some may even say Leeds are saving all their goals for the play offs but maybe not. Time will tell and presuming I'm not doing anything on the day...I shall watch the play off semi's. It's my birthday on the 7th May though so maybe it will be a happy one if Leeds lose.

Your support away from home has been good unlike the support at elland road but I would imagine people will blame Bates for that!

Gem

ReputationRep:
    Leeds were the best away support we've had down this season. It will be a hard playoff to call, Leeds have got to break out of this lean patch soon but Palace are doing OK too.

Good luck to Leeds I say, just because we can never beat you and so I'd like you out of the league!

ReputationRep:
    I can't see us going up this year, for most of the season we have played pretty poorly even when we have won and it just seems it won't be our year. We desperatly need to go up otherwise alot of our best players will leave and we will have to start all over again.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Anne for the luck, we will need it. Playoffs are a lottery.
    Sheff Utd just beat Cardiff 1-0 to all but ensure their promotion to the Premiership. I won't be on TSR tomorrow ... so assuming we don't take full points from our game tomorrow, (Watford are already losing) Sheff Utd will be promoted.

On that note, much that it pains me to do it because I severely dislike Neil Warnock, and of course being a Leeds fan it isn't easy, but many congratulations to Sheffield United on their promotion. Being there since August, and finishing there at the end, their consistency merited reward, and reward they deserve. Well done Sheffield Utd, well done Gem.

Now please Leeds, please let's win the playoffs.

ReputationRep:

Just got back from overnight stay north of Cardiff. Crap game, crap performance but great result. Mental celebrations at the goal.

Leeds currently 1-0 with Reading which means we will probably be promoted on tuesday night against Leeds. Ever so sweet.

Well done all at the club.

Thanks for the congrats. I hope the 3rd place team wins the play offs as it's an awful way to lose if you've got more points than the team that actually wins the play offs.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Gem, your back in the premiership after 12 years, i'm sure it was worth the wait

ReputationRep:

Just got back from overnight stay north of Cardiff. Crap game, crap performance but great result. Mental celebrations at the goal.

Leeds currently 1-0 with Reading which means we will probably be promoted on tuesday night against Leeds. Ever so sweet.

Well done all at the club.

Thanks for the congrats. I hope the 3rd place team wins the play offs as it's an awful way to lose if you've got more points than the team that actually wins the play offs.

Gem

Gem congratulations, I expect you to be celebrating rather heavily, although no doubt you would have liked to do it in front of the Leeds fans - you can just take the mick in front of them now as they have to go through the play offs !!

And congratulations to Accrington Stanley (Accrington Stanley...... who are they ? :p: ) on being promoted back into the Football League.

ReputationRep:
    The joys of seeing Neil Warnock in the premiership

I'd love to see this lot in there as well:

- Ian Holloway
    - Gordon Strachan

How we miss them.

Leeds to finish 3rd
    Watford to finish 4th

& Crystal Palace to go up :eek:

And Barnet to go down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    And congratulations to Accrington Stanley (Accrington Stanley...... who are they ? :p: ) on being promoted back into the Football League.
    I'm struggling to find an explanation as to how on earth they can go into the league with a ground like that! My back yard is nicer.

Stevenage was denied with a much nicer ground. They done it up so it would never happen again though. And lets not forget Barnet, whose pitch is awful, but their stands are far bigger.

Oh well - all these clubs have a sob story, least of all Aldershot. Regardless, I'm sure Accrington will do OK next year.

Oh - Did you here about the Canvey Island boss that's going to tertminate their Conference status for a lower division? If I was a fan, I'd be furious. What the hell is Jeff King thinking of? If Crewe Alexandra can manage The Championship with 5000 fans a match, Canvey can sure manage with approx 600 fans a match :rolleyes: absolutely disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    I'm struggling to find an explanation as to how on earth they can go into the league with a ground like that! My back yard is nicer.

Stevenage was denied with a much nicer ground. They done it up so it would never happen again though. And lets not forget Barnet, whose pitch is awful, but their stands are far bigger.

Oh well - all these clubs have a sob story, least of all Aldershot. Regardless, I'm sure Accrington will do OK next year.

Oh - Did you here about the Canvey Island boss that's going to tertminate their Conference status for a lower division? If I was a fan, I'd be furious. What the hell is Jeff King thinking of? If Crewe Alexandra can manage The Championship with 5000 fans a match, Canvey can sure manage with approx 600 fans a match :rolleyes: absolutely disgraceful.

I think Accy Stan's saving grace will be the work they did on the terrace ends, and the amount of seating (as a percentage of the total capacity) that there is.

Capacity is just over 5,000 so there won't be a problem on that - but it'll be interesting when some of the bigger lower league clubs start turning up - we have to remember that Accy now qualify by right for the League Trophy, Powergen (FA) Cup 1st Round and the Carling Cup - and in the Carling Cup as from Round 2 onwards, any team from the Championship could turn up at the InterLink Express (Crown Ground) Stadium.
    They'll sell the ground out on more than one occasion next season I feel, mainly through the amount of away support that will turn up on their doorstep.

ReputationRep:
    Well done to Sheffield United on going up, now let's hope Wednesday can do the opposite to help Brighton :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think Gems is getting bladdered. :cheers:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.