The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex_hk90
Yeah, but all the teams knew the rules at the start of the season. It happened to us a few seasons ago, we just missed out on the automatics in League Two and then lost the semi-final to a team with at least 15 points less than us.

I disagree. And I would have play-offs for relegation, that would be amazing - win to stay up!

Like I have just said, yes...that is correct. When your team messes up in the play offs after finishing so far ahead of the team you lost out to though, it doesn't make you feel any better. No reward for an excellent season - probably over 90 points is a joke.
Original post by ipswichblade
Like I have just said, yes...that is correct. When your team messes up in the play offs after finishing so far ahead of the team you lost out to though, it doesn't make you feel any better. No reward for an excellent season - probably over 90 points is a joke.

Oh I agree it doesn't make you feel any better - in fact I just looked back at the tables and we've twice finished one place (and only one point) outside the automatics only to lose to a team with over 10 points fewer in the semi-finals.
Original post by alex_hk90
Oh I agree it doesn't make you feel any better - in fact I just looked back at the tables and we've twice finished one place (and only one point) outside the automatics only to lose to a team with over 10 points fewer in the semi-finals.

Yep! We finished 3rd in 2003 and 3rd in 2009 and didn't go up. Been there done it before...sadly. :frown:
Come on WEDNESDAY!!!
Original post by dudleyian
Come on WEDNESDAY!!!

Will be an easy win. 3-0 I will go for. Doesn't matter what we do then but think we will win by the odd goal anyway. Need to do so really for a bit of confidence ahead of the play offs.
90 points and not good enough for a top 2 finish. What a joke!

Expected Wednesday to win today and they did so easily. Was in their hands. There is only 1 person to blame for our messing up this season and it certainly isn't Wilson. Step forward Ched Evans. Footballers can be *****!

Now to the play offs!
YES! Well done Wednesday, been an amazing season. Let's hope we can press forward next season in the Championship.

Commiserations to Sheffield United, but I hope they win the play-offs, they also deserve to be promoted, 90 points is enough to win a league, let alone not get automatic! Both Sheffield teams should be up in the Premier League and I hope United can join us next season for Steel City Derbies.
Original post by Phobia27
YES! Well done Wednesday, been an amazing season. Let's hope we can press forward next season in the Championship.

Commiserations to Sheffield United, but I hope they win the play-offs, they also deserve to be promoted, 90 points is enough to win a league, let alone not get automatic! Both Sheffield teams should be up in the Premier League and I hope United can join us next season for Steel City Derbies.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think we will. :frown: No confidence after the last 3 games and our past says we will get to the final and lose without scoring a goal. :rolleyes:
For a meaningless game (for us) that was quite good fun, makes a change to have a decent atmosphere at SJP. I think that a draw was a fair result in all, we were fairly ****e, but so were Sheffield to be fair.

All in all it's not been a good season, we had a squad that was good enough to stay up, and it hasn't. A lot of our players will be leaving as they have the potential to play higher up, so I do think we could be floundering around League 2 for a while before we manage to get anywhere. If we're lucky and can keep the core of the squad together then play offs are doable, but I can't see that happening. Could be worse though, could be from plymuff I suppose.
Original post by joelburr
For a meaningless game (for us) that was quite good fun, makes a change to have a decent atmosphere at SJP. I think that a draw was a fair result in all, we were fairly ****e, but so were Sheffield to be fair.

All in all it's not been a good season, we had a squad that was good enough to stay up, and it hasn't. A lot of our players will be leaving as they have the potential to play higher up, so I do think we could be floundering around League 2 for a while before we manage to get anywhere. If we're lucky and can keep the core of the squad together then play offs are doable, but I can't see that happening. Could be worse though, could be from plymuff I suppose.

Not what skysports news said but still. We did have 10 men for a lot of the game. But, it was a pointless result as Wednesday won. Oh, it's Sheffield United, not Sheffield. :biggrin: We hate being called Sheffield. Nobody would call Manchester United, Manchester!!!

Good luck next season.
Very relieved to see Stevenage get the final play-off spot after all! Regardless of what happens from now that has been a HUGE success for us, especially when we were the universal favourites for relegation.

Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Yes sorry 6th place (no idea what i was thinking :s-smilie:); yup its a bonus otherwise really it takes the fun out the league except for the teams who got autos. Bah what do journos' know outside the top 2 or 3 expected places in a league, no team should ever be written off :smile:

I did assume it was just a typo hah :tongue:. I'm definitely in favour of play-offs and I'm not just saying that because Stevenage have edged into them on the final day for two seasons on the trot, I just think it adds some real excitement to the end of the season.

Original post by ipswichblade
We should have done...in the last 10 minutes on Saturday we nearly did.
Play off matches are a different thing though. :biggrin:

Stevenage certainly had some chances too, I think it was one of those games where both sides deserved three points. But it's all to do again, and as you say, play-offs are entirely different, points and league positions don't matter now. We don't have to worry about Notts County and Carlisle United, you don't have to worry about Sheffield Wednesday, it's in both of our hands! :biggrin:
Reply 7011
38,082 at Hillsborough :eek:
Ee ey ee ey ee ey oh...up the football league we go!

£38k for a League One game...we are MASSIVE! :smile:

----

Right, gloating over! Commiserations to United who pushed all the way for promotion too, and made it such an exciting finish. Stevenage will be a tough team to beat as they are in good form and have already beaten Wednesday twice, United once as well as beating my local non-league team Stourbridge in the FA Cup. I fully expect United to be up in the Championship next season though!

----

Right, gloating over! Commiserations to United who pushed all the way for promotion too, and made it such an exciting finish. Stevenage will be a tough team to beat as they are in good form and have already beaten Wednesday twice, United once as well as beating my local non-league team Stourbridge in the FA Cup. I fully expect United to be up in the Championship next season though!

If only our fans felt and thought the same!!! Might even help us get there!!!
Reply 7014

----

Is it true that there are no gloryhunters in Sheffield?

I read that it is very rare to see a Man U shirt in Sheffield.
Very few gloryhunters in Sheffield. That said, because more people prefer Wednesday/United you often get a bigger concentration of idiots. I was threatened in McDonalds by 5 chavvy Sheffield United fans in the City Centre after the game, I was too happy and actually laughed at them at first. Cut throats signs through the windows and "Your dead mate" followed when I'd responded to "Wednesday are ****ing ****" with "Where did you finish in the table lads?" I finished my food and ran to the Sheffield Tap!!

I'd like to see us push on for promotion again next season, finances are in order and a top half finish is what we should aim for at the least.
Original post by ChapelTom
Very few gloryhunters in Sheffield. That said, because more people prefer Wednesday/United you often get a bigger concentration of idiots. I was threatened in McDonalds by 5 chavvy Sheffield United fans in the City Centre after the game, I was too happy and actually laughed at them at first. Cut throats signs through the windows and "Your dead mate" followed when I'd responded to "Wednesday are ****ing ****" with "Where did you finish in the table lads?" I finished my food and ran to the Sheffield Tap!!

I'd like to see us push on for promotion again next season, finances are in order and a top half finish is what we should aim for at the least.

Sadly, there are idiots at every club. I went to Hillsborough with my boyfriend when his team (Ipswich) played there a few seasons ago. A bloke (along with his 5 or 6 year old kid) came up to us randomly and kicked my boyfriend in the leg. We hadn't said a word and we weren't singing or anything. Some people can't handle their pre match drinks I guess! Wednesday had even won!
Never seen or been involved with any other trouble at football though to be fair.
Ahhh just want tomorrow night to come and go.

Whatever happens I think the playoffs are West Hams to lose.

Just hope we get to Wembley, with all due respect to Blackpool, a club with a 16,000 capacity stadium shouldn't be anywhere near the premier league. They Couldn't even sell out 13,000 on Friday night at their place, with 2,000 blues fans there too.
The metropolitan police will be hoping Blackpool get through though. A Birmingham West Ham final could be quite tasty.
Original post by original_username
Ahhh just want tomorrow night to come and go.

Whatever happens I think the playoffs are West Hams to lose.

Just hope we get to Wembley, with all due respect to Blackpool, a club with a 16,000 capacity stadium shouldn't be anywhere near the premier league. They Couldn't even sell out 13,000 on Friday night at their place, with 2,000 blues fans there too.
The metropolitan police will be hoping Blackpool get through though. A Birmingham West Ham final could be quite tasty.

Afriad it doesn't go on attendances! If it did, the Blades (and Owls!) wouldn't have been any where near league 1!!!
Reply 7019
Wow, I haven't been on TSR in ages, let alone posted in this thread!

Well it's been another rubbish season for Wycombe, and the yo-yo continues. Despite being at uni, I still managed to get to a good number of away games, including Sheffield United in February and Wednesday last weekend (never have I come across a nicer bunch of people in all my time of going to football than I did in Sheffield).

Will we return to League 1 next season? I'm not optimistic - with all the off-field issues and generally a weak squad, I can't see us bouncing straight back up again. Stranger things have happened though.

Congratulations to both Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton (I was at the Wycombe game when Charlton were crowned Champions, with the relegation confirmed sandwiched in between!)

Latest