The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 90pies an hour
What would you have liked Leeds to do? Just stand there and applaud the lovely little rouges for their clever wit?

Won't credit this with a reply. You're deluded if you think the behaviour of fans of either side was in any way excusable.
Original post by dudleyian
I watched the game live and saw it.

The ref was holding a bit of a blue seat on the pitch as they crowded round Kirkland which was shown clearly on TV but this is the best picture I can find of it:

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1388363.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Chris+Kirkland

Yes, as did I, thanks.

So that's it.

Let's face it, if this was another club's fans, there wouldn't be this much being made of it. It's 'cause it's Leeds, and people assume Leeds to be scum. I can't remember people calling for Celtic fans to be banned after the Dida incident or Stoke fans to be banned after Simon Royce was assaulted in an incident that led to 6 people getting arrested after a 3-minute scuffle in the goalmouth! or Sunderland fans to be banned after that lad ran on and grabbed Harper in the derby a season or two ago.
Original post by dudleyian
I watched the game live and saw it.

The ref was holding a bit of a blue seat on the pitch as they crowded round Kirkland which was shown clearly on TV but this is the best picture I can find of it:

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1388363.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Chris+Kirkland

And there was me thinking you were there! So you didn't really see anything of what happened then.
Original post by Harry Callahan
You got any evidence that Leeds fans were throwing seats, and all the rest of it, or are you just saying what you've heard from the media?

I was there. No seats were smashed or thrown until Wednesday popped up with the turkey *******s.
Original post by ChapelTom
Throwing missiles, charging at police (few if any Wednesday fans charged at police inside the ground), ripping up seats and taking advertising hoardings down, yeah because you see that at every single match don't you? :rolleyes:

You don't see it at every match but you'll see things like that several times a season, it was nothing like the scale of for example the behaviour of the Cardiff City fans at home against Leeds a few seasons ago. Leeds fans weren't alone in creating the hostile atmosphere, both sets of supporters caused it. It was hardly Senegal vs Ivory Coast was it?

With regards to punishment, there will probably be one occassion every few seasons where players come under threat from a fan. Off the top of my head I can remember the Stevenage player last year and Frank Lampard a couple of years back. Going back further Ian Walker got into a confrontation with a fan. You can't suddenly decide to punish a clubs standing in the league for the behaviour of their fans.
Well the culprit has been jailed for 16 weeks, not long enough in my view
And there was me thinking you were there! So you didn't really see anything of what happened then.

285662_371724352909000_1649247148_n.jpg

Here is the idiot who attacked C.Kirkland
Lookin fly'
You got any evidence that Leeds fans were throwing seats, and all the rest of it, or are you just saying what you've heard from the media?

I was actually at the match in the home ends and saw missiles including seats being thrown. In the region of 90 seats were destroyed.

Yes, as did I, thanks.

So that's it.

Let's face it, if this was another club's fans, there wouldn't be this much being made of it. It's 'cause it's Leeds, and people assume Leeds to be scum. I can't remember people calling for Celtic fans to be banned after the Dida incident or Stoke fans to be banned after Simon Royce was assaulted in an incident that led to 6 people getting arrested after a 3-minute scuffle in the goalmouth! or Sunderland fans to be banned after that lad ran on and grabbed Harper in the derby a season or two ago.

What kind of club seriously plays up in front of the country like that? A fuss wouldn't have been made had it not been on Sky, but your lot were daft enough to play up for the cameras.

I saw a lot of horrific and vile actions that night, as I said above, I saw a lot of stuff I've never seen at matches before. I will reiterate, a tiny number of our fans did sing Turkey songs, but the numbers were so few many in the North (where they were sung from) didn't even hear them! Simply not an excuse for the reaction by Leeds fans.

Looks like Leeds will not get the Leppings Lane Lower again in the near future! Be a nice sub 4,000 allocation next time :biggrin:

Your prats were so clever, they managed to chuck an advertising board into the lower tier of the Leppings Lane, directly onto other Leeds fans and it hit a little kid. (There is a photo of this to prove it on our message board). Not content with being morons with Wednesday supporters, your lot have no regard for each other either!! Couldn't make it up seriously, even Sheffield United would have the brains to realise their fans were sat in the lower as well!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
I was actually at the match in the home ends and saw missiles including seats being thrown. In the region of 90 seats were destroyed.

What kind of club seriously plays up in front of the country like that? A fuss wouldn't have been made had it not been on Sky, but your lot were daft enough to play up for the cameras.

I saw a lot of horrific and vile actions that night, as I said above, I saw a lot of stuff I've never seen at matches before.

Looks like Leeds will not get the Leppings Lane Lower again in the near future! Be a nice sub 4,000 allocation next time :biggrin:

Your prats were so clever, they managed to chuck an advertising board into the lower tier of the Leppings Lane, directly onto other Leeds fans and it hit a little kid. Not content with being morons with Wednesday supporters, your lot have no regard for each other either!! Couldn't make it up seriously, even Sheffield United would have the brains to realise their fans were sat in the lower as well!!!

You've obviously not been attending matches long. Stop getting yourself worked up over it, you silly drama queen.

This sort of stuff isn't unheard of at football matches, even in Britain.

You continue to watch your football team, and we'll continue to watch ours. Cheers.
You've obviously not been attending matches long. Stop getting yourself worked up over it, you silly drama queen.

This sort of stuff isn't unheard of at football matches, even in Britain.

You continue to watch your football team, and we'll continue to watch ours. Cheers.

I've not been attending matches long? I've been watching 60+ matches a season from Premier League stuff to Sunday stuff for the last 5 years. I can't ever recall seeing a player being hit by a spectator in a match I've watched, and its definitely not something that is regular at all, anywhere!!

I'm not getting worked up over it at all, Wednesday come out this looking good. I just want to see a few facts straight for those clearly not at the match.
I've not been attending matches long? I've been watching 60+ matches a season from Premier League stuff to Sunday stuff for the last 5 years. I can't ever recall seeing a player being hit by a spectator in a match I've watched, and its definitely not something that is regular at all, anywhere!!

I'm not getting worked up over it at all, Wednesday come out this looking good. I just want to see a few facts straight for those clearly not at the match.

They only come out of it looking good due to the media twisting things.

Oh, and before you start claiming Wendies fans are innocent, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S-rqBjwYEcI
Istanbul chanting before the goalkeeper incident.

As for the player being hit by fan thing, I can't remember people calling for Celtic fans to be banned after the Dida incident or Stoke fans to be banned after Simon Royce was assualted in an incident that led to 6 people getting arrested after a 3 minute scuffle in the goalmouth! or Sunderland fans to be banned after that lad ran on and grabbed Harper in the derby a season or two ago.
(edited 11 years ago)

I saw a lot of horrific and vile actions that night, as I said above, I saw a lot of stuff I've never seen at matches before. I will reiterate, a tiny number of our fans did sing Turkey songs, but the numbers were so few many in the North (where they were sung from) didn't even hear them! Simply not an excuse for the reaction by Leeds fans.

Your prats were so clever, they managed to chuck an advertising board into the lower tier of the Leppings Lane, directly onto other Leeds fans and it hit a little kid. (There is a photo of this to prove it on our message board). Not content with being morons with Wednesday supporters, your lot have no regard for each other either!! Couldn't make it up seriously, even Sheffield United would have the brains to realise their fans were sat in the lower as well!!!

I have no desire to enter in to a war of words with you and actually agree with a fair bit of what you said I did however have to pick you up on a couple of things. The Istanbul chants are clearly audible on the video already posted so I doubt it was just a tiny number. Although before you point it out booing is clearly audible as well and I would hope that is sensible fans from both sides trying to drown it out. As for the what kind of club seriously plays up in front of the cameras. Well is that comment not kind of ironic given this incident live on the BBC. http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Clint-Hill-accuses-Sheffield-Wednesday-fans-of-attacking-him-after-Crystal-Palace-relegated-the-Owls-to-League-One-article413647.html Again I would like to add in both cases it is stupid behaviour from a few and not a reflection of the majority of either sides support.

Don't you look silly now eh? (once you've read the article anyway)

http://www.owlsalive.com/featured/2012/10/22/people-in-glass-houses/
Original post by LUFC Tom
I have no desire to enter in to a war of words with you and actually agree with a fair bit of what you said I did however have to pick you up on a couple of things. The Istanbul chants are clearly audible on the video already posted so I doubt it was just a tiny number. Although before you point it out booing is clearly audible as well and I would hope that is sensible fans from both sides trying to drown it out. As for the what kind of club seriously plays up in front of the cameras. Well is that comment not kind of ironic given this incident live on the BBC. http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Clint-Hill-accuses-Sheffield-Wednesday-fans-of-attacking-him-after-Crystal-Palace-relegated-the-Owls-to-League-One-article413647.html Again I would like to add in both cases it is stupid behaviour from a few and not a reflection of the majority of either sides support.

It wasn't.
Still arguing about the Leeds v Wednesday incident? Jesus Christ, just agree that both sides have far more than their fair share of imbeciles and move on.. A whole weekend of football elsewhere has gone undiscussed and shortly tonight I'm sure a few more cracking games will take place!
We have Walsall at home tonight. Hoping for the 3 points but feel it could another home draw!
Some high scoring games tonight, Millwall drew 3 all with Birmingham and Bristol City drew 3 all with Burnley. Huddersfield didn't get revenge against Peterborough and ended up losing. In League one the Blades beat Walsall 1-0.
Thought we may go onto win by 2 or 3 once they went down to 10 men but happy with the 3 points!
Paul Jewell's left... Football league managerial roundabout in full swing.
Original post by scriggy
Paul Jewell's left... Football league managerial roundabout in full swing.

Mutual consent- presumably the pay off was agreed.

This will upset Norwich supporters.

Latest