The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Expression
Not forgetting Rotherham, Donny, and Huddersfield of course :rolleyes:

Out of those 3, I'd support the Millers.

Gem
bumped and stuck :wink:
Thanks, couldn't you have done that BEFORE I made my massive post lol.:tsr2:
Reply 783
Any Ipswich fans here
Hey is there any derby county supporters out there?

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Sheep sheep sha...
You have appointed a good manager and i think you will be making a play off challenge.
dan
Sheep sheep sha...

Does Everton have any sticky endings?
OK, we may not be able to have our own thread, but lets show everyone the lower league football is a lot more exciting and better value for money than that over rated premier league millionaire tripe. :biggrin: Welcome to all League One fans....

CHAMPIONSHIP ODDS (according to www.willhill.com)

Nottingham Forest - 9/2F
Bristol City - 11/2
Doncaster - 9/1
Millwall - 11/1
Swansea - 13/1
Huddersfield - 13/1
Blackpool - 15/1
Tranmere - 21/1
Oldham - 21/1
Gillingham - 21/1
Crewe - 21/1
Brighton - 21/1
Brentford - 21/1
Carlisle - 26/1
Bradford - 29/1
Port Vale - 34/1
Northampton - 34/1
Leyton Orient - 41/1
Yeovil - 51/1
Scunthorpe - 67/1
Chesterfield - 67/1
Bournemouth - 67/1
Cheltenham - 101/1
Rotherham - 201/1

Interesting odds. The bookies seem to be clear of their top 7, and the 5 that will contest the relegation spots, but other than that the league looks fairly tight. A few questions that I have from the odds (bearing in mind my ignorance to anything outside of League Two, being an Orient support, 11 years in that league!).

Are Rotherham really in such freefall that they are certainties to go down?
Are Nottingham Forest and Bristol City in a class of their own?
Is League One football a lot more open than League Two?

Do give us a preview of your team!

Introducing myself: I am a long suffering 19 year old Leyton Orient fan. I started supporting the O's in 1995, which was the last time we played in this league. We finished bottom! Ever since then, we have spent 11 years in the basement league, and become somewhat of the scenery. We reached two play off finals, battled relegation three times, and apart from that we have done absolutely nothing. Much to my annoyance, as a season ticket holder, now we have finally reached the promised land (League One haha), I am now off to Uni in Loughborough. Not that far from Nottingham I guess, away games for me this year!

The story of Orient last season was brilliant, it was by far and away the best season we have had. We were never out of the play offs all season, and although we had a mid-season dip, we played ourselves back into contention for automatic promotion which we secured on the last day of the season. Away at Oxford, who needed to win to stay up, we had to equal Grimsby's result. Going into injury time, we were drawing and Grimsby winning. Then, in the fourth minute of injury time, news got through that Grimsby had let one in and were drawing, and in the fifth minute of injury time, we scored to send us up! Was absolutely mental, and the best moment of my life.

We had an amazing FA Cup run, in which we beat Premiership Fulham at Craven Cottage! In the next round we were away at Charlton Athletic, and only lost in injury time to a deflected free kick. This has helped promote the story at Orient that we will fare better in League One than League Two! League Two is notorious for hustle, bustle and long balls up to a target man, which really does produce some of the most boring football! Lincoln City I am looking at you!! We are, however, a footballing team who likes to play it short, get the ball out wide to our wingers, and where possible keep it on the ground. Hopefully, if League One does have more space and more of a 'proper football' ethos, we should be okay.

My main concern for the season is that we just sold our 20 year old centre back, Gabriel Zakuani, to Fulham for £1m (further £500K based on appearances). He was by no means the finished article, but he was the perfect partner for captain John Mackie as his pace provided additional cover. If we are to stay up we need to find someone to fill his place quickly.

We are always a danger from set pieces with Matthew Lockwood over the ball. Our central midfield is hard working if not flair based, Craig Easton being a rock. He used to play in the SPL and is Championship material in my opinion. On the wings we have a lot of pace in Shane Tudor and Joe Keith, and although he is not as quick Wayne Corden provides experience and trickery up wide. Up front, we have three strikers who all have a proven goalscoring pedigree in Gary Alexander (ex swindon, exeter, hull), paul connor (swansea) and Lee Steele, although the latter is getting on a bit. In Jabo Ibehre we have a very tricky and skillful tall striker. However, he is a confidence player, his finishing is generally awful, and he has never met his potential. If in League One we do get more time on the ball, he could be the main benefactor. Add all that to our Welsh international keeper Glyn Garner, and I think we should have a steady mid table season!
A little extra news for Orient since I typed that. Gabriel Zakuani, our start 20 year old centre back, has been sold to Fulham for an unspecified amount, believed to be around £1m with a potential further £500,000 based on appearances. Also, our centre back rock and captain John Mackie has been suspended for 4 matches, for being abusive in a post match drugs test on the last day of the season. So, we're likely to start the season with two centre backs who played the majority of last year at right back! We have yet to sign anyone, come on guys.....Port Vale away first, then Millwall at home. Big match. :smile:
Reply 790
I think Derby will have an unoticed season finishing mid-table. Wolves look a good bet for relegation after their terrible performance against us a few weeks ago.
stale88
I think Derby will have an unoticed season finishing mid-table. Wolves look a good bet for relegation after their terrible performance against us a few weeks ago.

Yeah that would be a very good way to loose your money.:rolleyes:
derby are playoff-bound this year in my opinion, there's no way wolves'll go down considering some of the clubs in this league. mind you crewe and brighton both beat us last year...
Man .. football league starts tomorrow!! Can't wait :biggrin: (even though I'm a Pompey fan). i'm hoping the Swans will go one better this year and get automatic promotion (though playoff final winners would do). Also hoping the scummers stay down for one more season ... just so we can gloat for another year :biggrin:
Just wanted to say good luck to all the teams this season. :smile: :yy: For the first ever time since I've been going to matches, my team aren't in the lower leagues. I'll still be watching for results though so good luck all and enjoy every minute of the season if you can!

Gem
Championship is hardly lower league lol.
Alex Mann

Who are you kidding? ;laugh;

Cooooooooooome on Barnet :biggrin:
Alex Mann

Afraid it is. Not the top league therefore it is a lower league.

Gem
Alex Mann

Are Rotherham really in such freefall that they are certainties to go down?

Rotherham aren't in freefall. We started last season well, but went on a horrendous run that left us stuck at the bottom. Alan Knill managed to get us turned around and our form with him in charge was very good. We are starting the season with minus-ten points though, which means we're the safest bet for going down. We'll probably need about 63 points overall to stay up, and it is possible but the team is relatively new as a unit and how well we will do remains to be seen. I certainly don't think it's a freefall if we are relegated though. We had the potential to go into freefall last year, I reckon relegation last year and we could have been facing the Conference at the end of this one, but with the creation of the new company the finances are more stable and we fought hard and stayed up last year. We've got a reason to fight, and many of the players that we've signed have come in knowing that.
brains
Has there been a big price-hike is ticket prices? I mean since promotion. Just wondered because ticket prices in football are horrendous.

I reckon Sheffield United ticket prices are pretty decent. It's cheaper to get an adult season ticket on the kop at the Lane than it is to get one on the kop at Millmoor.

Latest