Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    I disagree with you on your second set of points-the loan system is excellent for giving young players competitive experience rather than throwing them in at the deep end. Where I think it gets unfair is where one club can distort the transfer market, either through spending infinitely more than the others due to a rich benefactor, or through having players handed to them well below market value (i.e. nothing).

I'm strongly in favour of a spending cap on a divisional basis, a) to make the divisions more competitive, and more importantly b) as a more robust way of keeping clubs' finances in order. I know if Coventry were doing what Watford are then I'd be over the moon, so I don't hold that against you. But it is most definitely an unfair manipulation of the system to get one over on teams whose owners don't also own other clubs.
    Oh, I wasn't saying I wanted it to be abolished as I think it is a fantastic system too - because of his experience this season, I would have no qualms if Chalobah was a regular starter for Chelsea next season; my praises can be read in the Chelsea thread - a lot. I can see why the other teams are annoyed (maybe through jealousy) with us, but it is when teams make an invalid argument rife with hypocrisy. The Holloway outburst on Sky earlier in the season springs to mind:
    - Watford and Palace both had 5 English players in their squad that day,
    - Watford had 4 Academy graduates in their squad, Palace had one,
    - Palace's one was Zaha, who was on loan from Utd by this point.

I like the idea of a spending cap, but how would you implement it. The smallest club decides the maximum amount to even it out? Would mean every club can spend the same amount, but potentially a tiny amount; furthering the gap between the FL and Premier League again - a distance that has been closing recently, which in my opinion is very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    Oh, I wasn't saying I wanted it to be abolished as I think it is a fantastic system too - because of his experience this season, I would have no qualms if Chalobah was a regular starter for Chelsea next season; my praises can be read in the Chelsea thread - a lot. I can see why the other teams are annoyed (maybe through jealousy) with us, but it is when teams make an invalid argument rife with hypocrisy. The Holloway outburst on Sky earlier in the season springs to mind:
    - Watford and Palace both had 5 English players in their squad that day,
    - Watford had 4 Academy graduates in their squad, Palace had one,
    - Palace's one was Zaha, who was on loan from Utd by this point.

I like the idea of a spending cap, but how would you implement it. The smallest club decides the maximum amount to even it out? Would mean every club can spend the same amount, but potentially a tiny amount; furthering the gap between the FL and Premier League again - a distance that has been closing recently, which in my opinion is very good.
    I talk as more of an outside observer given that we haven't been in the second tier for over a year now (God that's depressing), but it just looks wrong from the outside looking in for one team to have such an unfair advantage (this goes just as much for Cardiff who have bluntly spent their way to the top).

As for implementation of a transfer cap-there's lots of different ways of doing it, be it based on an arbitrary figure that rises with inflation, or is based on the average expenditure the previous year. Proportional spending preserves the status quo and wouldn't be as effective which is why I'm in favour of an absolute cap. At the start of the 11/12 season we had spent zero on our team because of cost cutting, and came up against a Leicester team which had spent well over £10m that summer under Sven. There has to be an incentive for teams to manage their finances effectively and controls for those who don't.

Ownership of multiple clubs within England is against FA rules for pretty much the reasons I gave earlier-it unfairly distorts the market and gives teams unfair advantages.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This was a strange case, as it was reported that Cassetti had signed for us for free, but then it came out that he was only on loan. That does sound a bit dodgy, but like I said above; the status of the transfer is meaningless in terms of the owners - as they would own all the players nonetheless.

Anyway, how'd you think the games going to go tonight? I think the loss of Deeney could be crucial in both an attacking and defensive sense, making me believe that we will set up to defend and potentially go for a draw. On a brighter note though, Jonathan Bond has been fitted with a face mask (in Milan, courtesy of our owners :cool:), and is believed that he could be playing. Very good news as I wouldn't have trusted Bonham after his display the other day.
    It depends - I'm far more confident with Schlupp at left-back than Konch, and I think if we go for it then we will rip you to shreds - we're still on a high from last week (last minute winner to get the play-offs at your biggest rivals where you hadn't won for 40 years? how can anyone not be buoyed up by that) while I think you'll still be reeling from Leeds. Also if Bond is playing then the likes of Wood will be a threat - not because he's in good form, but because he's a physical player and I doubt Bond will be too prepared to deal with that after the injury.

However, if we decide not to attack from the off then I can see you taking us - we're far better when we're on the offensive and stopping teams from being able to spend prolonged spells out of their half.

It's no better than when Leicester used administration to get promoted almost unopposed in 2002/3. In any other business what you're doing would have been called out for anti-competitiveness from the off.
    ey? We didn't use administration to get promoted unopposed - we had just built a new stadium, and the sudden drop from the prem, combined with the collapse of ITV digital ****ed us over, we did nothing untoward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    ey? We didn't use administration to get promoted unopposed - we had just built a new stadium, and the sudden drop from the prem, combined with the collapse of ITV digital ****ed us over, we did nothing untoward.
    Who forced you to build a new ground? We got relegated the year before and had the TV deal collapse leave us in a right hole financially but didn't go down the admin route.

The club shafted lots of local business in Leicester who believed they'd get their money back. As it was you got the ground paid for and had the debts wiped clean whereas the other clubs still had theirs to pay. If it wasn't untoward the FL wouldn't have introduced a points deduction soon after!

ReputationRep:
    It depends - I'm far more confident with Schlupp at left-back than Konch, and I think if we go for it then we will rip you to shreds - we're still on a high from last week (last minute winner to get the play-offs at your biggest rivals where you hadn't won for 40 years? how can anyone not be buoyed up by that) while I think you'll still be reeling from Leeds. Also if Bond is playing then the likes of Wood will be a threat - not because he's in good form, but because he's a physical player and I doubt Bond will be too prepared to deal with that after the injury.

However, if we decide not to attack from the off then I can see you taking us - we're far better when we're on the offensive and stopping teams from being able to spend prolonged spells out of their half.
    Almuina's playing. Don't know how fit he will be for the game but just having him in is fantastic. Schlupp looks pretty good whenever I've seen him, but thankfully Anya has been hitting some form recently so I'm hoping for him to be charging up the right wing. Also got Geijo starting in Deeney's place - gives the strength and height upfront, rather than Vydra and Forestieri together. Just hoping Vydra hits his goals coring form again - we certainly need it.

ReputationRep:
    No one suspects Leicester to win the last place in the PL but I reckon they will do it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Who forced you to build a new ground? We got relegated the year before and had the TV deal collapse leave us in a right hole financially but didn't go down the admin route.

The club shafted lots of local business in Leicester who believed they'd get their money back. As it was you got the ground paid for and had the debts wiped clean whereas the other clubs still had theirs to pay. If it wasn't untoward the FL wouldn't have introduced a points deduction soon after!
    And had you rung up heavy transfer debts from tater peeler? We went into admin because there was no other option, we survived as a club by a matter of days thanks to ex players like heskey & linekar putting their hands in their pockets - it wasn't done to get an advantage.

Almuina's playing. Don't know how fit he will be for the game but just having him in is fantastic. Schlupp looks pretty good whenever I've seen him, but thankfully Anya has been hitting some form recently so I'm hoping for him to be charging up the right wing. Also got Geijo starting in Deeney's place - gives the strength and height upfront, rather than Vydra and Forestieri together. Just hoping Vydra hits his goals coring form again - we certainly need it.
    Fortunately with schlupp, he's ****ing rapid and him and duet combined should get your right back being a bit wary of being caught on the counter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should be at the bok right now watchin the whites batter watford. Still gutted about final day.

ReputationRep:
    And had you rung up heavy transfer debts from tater peeler? We went into admin because there was no other option, we survived as a club by a matter of days thanks to ex players like heskey & linekar putting their hands in their pockets - it wasn't done to get an advantage.

Fortunately with schlupp, he's ****ing rapid and him and duet combined should get your right back being a bit wary of being caught on the counter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Relegation put us about £60m in the hole through chasing the dream under Atkinson and Strachan. It gave you a huge advantage and screwed all creditors over big time. If it didn't there would be no penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately with schlupp, he's ****ing rapid and him and duet combined should get your right back being a bit wary of being caught on the counter.Posted from TSR Mobile
    Been quite even so far, but Nugent and that CB of yours should have scored. I would say Schlupp is being given the run around by Anya though. Enjoyable game so far.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Relegation put us about £60m in the hole through chasing the dream under Atkinson and Strachan. It gave you a huge advantage and screwed all creditors over big time. If it didn't there would be no penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still struggling to see how nearly going bust was an advantage, but you're a cov fan so have never seen the inside of a ground, so your complete lack of football knowledge should be excused

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still struggling to see how nearly going bust was an advantage, but you're a cov fan so have never seen the inside of a ground, so your complete lack of football knowledge should be excused

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Admin cleared your debts at a stroke and allowed you to sign players other clubs, who were trying to pay their debts , couldn't afford. It's not difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Admin cleared your debts at a stroke and allowed you to sign players other clubs, who were trying to pay their debts , couldn't afford. It's not difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Simple - as cov's attendances have shown, your turnstiles are either broken, or you're a pathetic little nothing club with no fans...

Allowed us to sign players? :toofunny: We signed a grand total of nicky summerbee and Billy McKinlay early on in the summer, meanwhile we sold a **** load of our team (Piper, Marshall, Savage to name but 3) and spent most of the season under a transfer embargo.

It is difficult when we gained no advantage and very nearly lost our club. I know it's hard for you to see the facts when you're still bitter about being a two-bit club who no-one gives a **** about, but the simple facts are: had to sell best players, couldn't replace them, very nearly lost the club. None of that gives an advantage m'kay?

Now then - Wembley here we come!!!

ReputationRep:
    Vydra, how have you lost your touch so badly? How on earth did we not score...

ReputationRep:
    Simple - as cov's attendances have shown, your turnstiles are either broken, or you're a pathetic little nothing club with no fans...

Allowed us to sign players? :toofunny: We signed a grand total of nicky summerbee and Billy McKinlay early on in the summer, meanwhile we sold a **** load of our team (Piper, Marshall, Savage to name but 3) and spent most of the season under a transfer embargo.

It is difficult when we gained no advantage and very nearly lost our club. I know it's hard for you to see the facts when you're still bitter about being a two-bit club who no-one gives a **** about, but the simple facts are: had to sell best players, couldn't replace them, very nearly lost the club. None of that gives an advantage m'kay?

Now then - Wembley here we come!!!
    Still had a much better side than those who bothered to try and keep the books balanced. Seems you're like so many Leicester fans who 'don't give a **** about Cov' but have an obsession with our attendances; as I've said elsewhere in this thread, we have had no top 6 finish since 1970. This is the worst record out of anybody in the entire FL-does any club go over 40 years with not one successful season and have their stadium packed to the rafters? I thought not.

In the 11/12 relegation season we were still averaging over 15k which all things considered isn't a bad effort when you chuck in the terrible record of non-achievement. It's a lot easier for a yo-yo club to keep its crowds up than it is for one which just stays in the bottom half for years on end.

Here's hoping Brighton smash you in the play-off final and the Thais subsidising your club get fed up and call the debts in. Over £10m spent and you only beat us 1-0. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    We're appointing a Head Coach appears to be the breaking news. He'll be gone by November :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    We're appointing a Head Coach appears to be the breaking news. He'll be gone by November :rolleyes:
    Please let it be Thorn!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Still had a much better side than those who bothered to try and keep the books balanced. Seems you're like so many Leicester fans who 'don't give a **** about Cov' but have an obsession with our attendances; as I've said elsewhere in this thread, we have had no top 6 finish since 1970. This is the worst record out of anybody in the entire FL-does any club go over 40 years with not one successful season and have their stadium packed to the rafters? I thought not.

In the 11/12 relegation season we were still averaging over 15k which all things considered isn't a bad effort when you chuck in the terrible record of non-achievement. It's a lot easier for a yo-yo club to keep its crowds up than it is for one which just stays in the bottom half for years on end.

Here's hoping Brighton smash you in the play-off final and the Thais subsidising your club get fed up and call the debts in. Over £10m spent and you only beat us 1-0. Pathetic.
    For much the same reason as people obsess over Wigans attendances - they're ****ing woeful and it's easy material to laugh at/ No, but they at least get the ground half full occasionally, rather than seeing a sea of empty seats every week.

Well, given brighton have to get past palace and we have to finish the job against watford that seems rather premature - and for the record but for Lua Lua's last minute goal we'd have done the double over brighton, despite playing both times when we were in woeful form - so we'd be firm favourites against them.

On the opening day of the season, with only a couple of players left over from the season before. Teams need time to gel, and yet we still outclassed you then.

ReputationRep:
    For much the same reason as people obsess over Wigans attendances - they're ****ing woeful and it's easy material to laugh at/ No, but they at least get the ground half full occasionally, rather than seeing a sea of empty seats every week.

Well, given brighton have to get past palace and we have to finish the job against watford that seems rather premature - and for the record but for Lua Lua's last minute goal we'd have done the double over brighton, despite playing both times when we were in woeful form - so we'd be firm favourites against them.

On the opening day of the season, with only a couple of players left over from the season before. Teams need time to gel, and yet we still outclassed you then.
    Again, wait until your club does nothing for 43 years straight-I doubt we'd see a full King Prawn Arena. You outclassed a team of youth players-congratulations. If any other team had spent what you did they'd have won the league.

As I said-pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please let it be Thorn!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I hear Roy Keane being mentioned again, I don't even ..

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.