The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Blimey what about West Brom being hammered 4-1 by Leicester :eek:
Anyone looking forward to it

UTM
It will need to be special to out-do last season's final between Donny and the Gas. I fancy Grimsby, even though they're probably the under-dogs given MK Dons rise to the summit of League Two. It will be interesting to see if Grimsby can emulate Bristol Rovers achievements last season, seeing how they've risen up the table and got to within reasonable distance of the play-offs. They'll need to win their game in hand first, but given Rochdale's and Chesterfield's sketchy recent form, they still have a chance.

Anyway, I shall certainly be watching - the JPT Final is usually an open, entertaining game. Though it was mocked when it changed its sponsor ("Paint Pot Trophy"), it has become a very good and important trophy in its own right, even if some of the bigger clubs aren't willing to play their full teams (though the rule changes have helped remedy that).

Edit: It seems they don't have a game in hand. I was thinking of Morecambe. Rochdale still have a ton of games in hand, but compacting so many games into such a short space of time will surely affect them. I also believe the majority of their matches are at home, which would usually be an advantage, but Rochdale have been very weird this season in performing better away from home than at home. I think there's still an opportunity for one of Morecambe or Grimsby to make it. I'm quietly confident that the last play-off team won't be Chesterfield anyway, especially now Jack Lester's injured.
Reply 1723
Big Duncs
Anyone looking forward to it

Can't say I am.
I wouldn't say 'looking forward to it' but it will be interesting and it's always good to see lower league clubs get some coverage for once - even if it has to be in this trophy!

I'm a Notts County fan for what it's worth - we never get ANYWHERE in the JPT.... or the league or anything else for that matter (very often anyway!) Lol
I'm going to Doncaster tomorrow to see Forest lose. It's hard not to be enthusiastic, even though I know Calderwood will somehow manage to make a mess of it on the night. With Commons injured, we're down to the bare bones in terms of midfield creativity. Maybe Calderwood will take a left-field punt by giving McLeary his first start, but I doubt it somehow. The man is caution personified, and I expect McGugan, Thornhill, Cohen and Clingan to make up a distinctly similar midfield quartet. There's talent there, but there could easily be talent in a team if you played eleven defenders - it still wouldn't work.

Anyway, I'll predict a draw just to be upbeat. Tyson to score at some point, Smith to drop a clanger now we don't have Konstantopolous to keep him on his toes...
Ah you never know Forest might actually pull it off against Doncaster tonight.
gillipies
I'm a Notts County fan for what it's worth

Well I suppose someone has to be :p:
LukeatForest
I'm going to Doncaster tomorrow to see Forest lose. It's hard not to be enthusiastic, even though I know Calderwood will somehow manage to make a mess of it on the night. With Commons injured, we're down to the bare bones in terms of midfield creativity. Maybe Calderwood will take a left-field punt by giving McLeary his first start, but I doubt it somehow. The man is caution personified, and I expect McGugan, Thornhill, Cohen and Clingan to make up a distinctly similar midfield quartet. There's talent there, but there could easily be talent in a team if you played eleven defenders - it still wouldn't work.

Anyway, I'll predict a draw just to be upbeat. Tyson to score at some point, Smith to drop a clanger now we don't have Konstantopolous to keep him on his toes...

Oh dear, from what I've read it sounds like it was another dreadful performance. I dont envy you having to see another woeful away day.

I really dont see how we'd beat Carlisle or Donny in the playoffs (if we even get into them) with Calderwood in charge :frown: :confused:
Yeah so much for me saying Forest would win
Reply 1729
lucky escape for the baggies today, off to wembley next saturday, yay :biggrin:
Yeah that was an amazing game and a great comeback for West Brom, sadly it looks like it's pretty much confirmed relegation for Colchester.
The Championship is such a poor quality league this year, any good side would have wrapped it up weeks ago.

I have a feeling Hulll will go up, they have momentum at the moment, all the other teams around them are finding it hard to win games at the moment. I'd hope WBA will go up too because they're a good footballing side but it seems like Bristol City have been in a promotion spot all season and I reckon they will hang on. I'd tip Palace for the playoffs too :frown:

Colchester and Scunny are going down. I think southampton will join them. Pearson is quite inexperienced, they've got a tough run in and are quite a poor team.
Reply 1732
Poor quality league? How come? I think this year has shown that there are more than jsut a handful of teams capable of packing a punch next year, whether it will be enough to survive the premier league we shall see.

I was asked the other day by a mate, FA Cup or Premiership, winning the FA Cup is easily what i would prefer the baggies to achieve, as much as the hype is around the prem, i prefer the championship, jsut cos its always pretty close run, and every game can go any way. Plus its cheaper to go to games, u get more games a season etc
Reply 1733
As an Argyle fan have to agree the Championship is pretty poor quality. I mean top of the league Bristol City, their frontline is old journeyman Dele Adebola! Hardly sets the world alight.

**** **** **** Wolves have won in the 96th minute!
Well the Charlton v Wolves game on sky was amazing, full of twists and turns
Reply 1735
and just to make my day worse after a defeat Ebanks-Blake scored 2.
I think Hull also are the team who have a bit of money as well, not sure if they will do better than Derby.
Orient were leading 1-0 against Port Vale, then ended up losing 2-1 :rolleyes:
Orient's season has died out badly, Port Vale live for another week but surely they will go down along with Bournemouth.
Mansfield beat Wrexham 2-1. Wrexham look very doomed now.

Latest