Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello people. I have a bit of a dilemma. Basically, I got an A in French along with two others in English and History and a C in Maths.
    There was only me and this other girl in the class who failed AS and one guy who got an A at A2....as the class was so small we had to share the lesson!

This guy is now going to uni, and my friend is dropping the subject.
    I know that a few of year 11 will be doing AS, but my friend has just told told me, that I might not be able to do it for A2, as it will be hard for the school to arrange with only one person doing it for A2....I definitely am not doing Maths at A2 as I only got a C and it is not so natural for me.

So, does anybody know - as long as one person wants to do a subject should the college allow it? Surely, they can add me in to the AS class? My other friend at A2 had somebody else, but she hardly went to the lessons?

Sorry about this, I'm just really worried because I am applying to good uni's and don't want to continue with AAC and drop an A.

ReputationRep:
    They don't have to; my college ruled out music because only 2 people wanted to do it last year, which ended up causing those 2 people to apply to a different college at the last minute :eek: I think it's disgusting though, and would be especially so in your case - surely your college wouldn't want to jeopardise your chances, if you're applying to those universities it is absolutely in their best interests that you do well as it reflects well on them. Before you get too worried, ask your college what they can arrange for you I'm sure if you explain they will sort something out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    They don't have to; my college ruled out music because only 2 people wanted to do it last year, which ended up causing those 2 people to apply to a different college at the last minute :eek: I think it's disgusting though, and would be especially so in your case - surely your college wouldn't want to jeopardise your chances, if you're applying to those universities it is absolutely in their best interests that you do well as it reflects well on them. Before you get too worried, ask your college what they can arrange for you I'm sure if you explain they will sort something out.
    Thank you! Sorry about that post, I just like to be able to do what I'm best in, and I know it's hard for them sometimes. I will email my Maths teacher as she does the timetables. She knows I wanted to drop Maths definitely.

*worried* Wants to do Frrrrrrrennnnnch

ReputationRep:
    If they can't do it, then I'm sure that they can find a 6th form or 6th form college nearby that can. My school does this with scheduling problems and with subjects not offered.

It is partially their responsibility to help you achieve your potential, especially if they offered the subject at AS. However, it would also benefit you to look around other schools in the area to see what is on offer, and then take that information to your own college, and ask them if they can try to schedule you around it.

ReputationRep:
    As Bethany said, they don't have to offer a subject if there are insufficient numbers, but it will depend on the school how willing they are to do it. A couple of years ago there was only 1 person doing A2 French and no-one doing AS, but they let her do it on her own anyway. It'd be especially unfair if they dropped it at A2 because you don't have the option to go somewhere else, and if last year they combined AS and A2, they might do the same this year.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.