Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there too many threads that are just rehashing old topics?

Just scrolling through the first few pages I have found many threads (sometimes started by the same person) on:

Harry Potter
    Lord Of The Rings
    Plastic Surgery
    Various girl / boy issues.
    UCAS statistics (how many people get into a higher eductation institute)O2 X1 Mobile Phone
    Oxbridge (these guys have their own forum and still post on the main)
    Kazaa / other file sharing sites
    The Matrix

Yet when someone starts an academic thread they are often shipped off to some part of the forum that nobody reads.

Well, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    it gets shipped off to the right part of the forum...maybe you should read them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this exact thread has probably been done before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I'm sure this exact thread has probably been done before.
    Yes, but not like Harry Potter where we have four threads one one page .

ReputationRep:
    when you have a really long thread like the longest ever one on Harry Potter, you kant expect people to read through the whole damn thing to check if their new thread has been done before in that thread.

So they make a new one.

The old threads are outdated, an event happenes and people start posting in that thread, and follow their posts and replies, but for someone going into that thread from the beginning, it will not make much sense as the event that started it has terminated and nobody will bother to read it, im sure i wouldn't (the Harry Potter one is tooooooo long).

Anyways, i don't have a problem with making new threads which are in a way reincarnations of old thread of months back.

But i agree with you if you have a thread about something which has already been done about a week ago and didn't get many replies....

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.