Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey if you could answer these questions i'd be grateful!

Best accent and why?
    What do you think of the Queens English?

Thank alot!

Jess xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by everyguysdream)

Best accent and why?

Thank alot!

Jess xxx
    best accent=californian, because they dont "have" a distingushable accent....

ReputationRep:

Best accent and why?

Thank alot!

Jess xxx
    My favourite accent is the one that Shannon Elizabeth had as Nadia in American Pie (I think she was Czech).

I quite like the Queen's English, it can be very nice on the right person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    best accent=californian, because they dont "have" a distingushable accent....
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

the Californian accent is very distinguishable to our ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

the Californian accent is very distinguishable to our ears.
    well what exactly is our accent, because no1 can seem to tell us! what letters do we slur and blah blah...if you could kindly point that out!

ReputationRep:
    The south west accent has to be the best.

ReputationRep:
    well what exactly is our accent, because no1 can seem to tell us! what letters do we slur and blah blah...if you could kindly point that out!
    It is very difficult to describe accents, but if you say RP is the 'standard' English, and any other form of pronunciation is an accent, than you definately have an accent.

It does not sound accented to you, but it does to eveyone else and you certainly don't speak like an English person.

ReputationRep:
    way aye man this is tha best accent like man

ReputationRep:
    It is very difficult to describe accents, but if you say RP is the 'standard' English, and any other form of pronunciation is an accent, than you definately have an accent.

It does not sound accented to you, but it does to eveyone else and you certainly don't speak like an English person.
    whats RP english? since i think english has an accent, you would most likely think i have an accent because you are english. however, in america californians are regarded as the people with no accent.... however, the textbook accent is supposed to be a higher tone torwards the end of each word.....

ReputationRep:

But if your saying RP is 'standard' english then you could say a strong brummie accent is not an english accent, which it is?!

ReputationRep:
    I like the posher south east accents but not the common ones. I also hate the Manc accent so much. " Do you knoh what I mean? I'm buzzin man, its sort'ed."

ReputationRep:
    whats RP english? since i think english has an accent, you would most likely think i have an accent because you are english. however, in america californians are regarded as the people with no accent.... however, the textbook accent is supposed to be a higher tone torwards the end of each word.....

RP is recieved pronunciation, how the Queen speaks.

ReputationRep:
    Recieved Pronunciation (sp?) = Accentless to the english... but that in itself is an accent :confused:

ReputationRep:
    RP is recieved pronunciation, how the Queen speaks.
    ohhhh ahhhh. so what if the queen couldnt speak right?

ReputationRep:
    Californians still have the 'American whine'.

A higher tone at the end of each word? That would make every word sound like a question!

RP (Recieved Pronunciation) is the news-reader accent which even though it is not the most common, is seen as the way English was meant to be spoken.

ReputationRep:
    But if your saying RP is 'standard' english then you could say a strong brummie accent is not an english accent, which it is?!
    It's not RP but it is an english accent, as the people are english. There are many different types of english and British accents.

ReputationRep:
    ohhhh ahhhh. so what if the queen couldnt speak right?
    I wouldn't say the Queen is a good example of RP as she has a very posh accent but our BBC newsreaders are the best examples of RP. Well some are...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I like the posher south east accents but not the common ones. I also hate the Manc accent so much. " Do you knoh what I mean? I'm buzzin man, its sort'ed."

The worst accent by far has to be a brummie accent and the accent jonny Vagas speaks with (so annoying!). Also i come from Manchesterand not many people i know speak with such a strong accent as the oasis band.

ReputationRep:
    Californians still have the 'American whine'.

A higher tone at the end of each word? That would make every word sound like a question!

RP (Recieved Pronunciation) is the news-reader accent which even though it is not the most common, is seen as the way English was meant to be spoken.
    no it doesnt.....its BARELY noticeable.....i never noticed it, and still dont, evven if i tape record myself talking and go back and listen....the celebrities in hollywood have an californian accent! have you ever noticed what i just mentioned in the films?

ReputationRep:
    no it doesnt.....its BARELY noticeable.....i never noticed it, and still dont, evven if i tape record myself talking and go back and listen....the celebrities in hollywood have an californian accent! have you ever noticed what i just mentioned in the films?
    But we would notice.

It is quite arrogant to suggest that Californian is the unadultarated form of English.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.