Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It still needs some work but this is one of the sites I am going to use a reference site in a job interview.

It is not finished yet and I need to correct any spelling errors etc but the coding is all done. The only bit that isn't complete is the articles section, the articles database content system works fine though.

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/

Thanks for any comments.

ReputationRep:
    Good job, looks professional.

Works fully in Mozilla too, an increasing rarity for personal sites it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Good job, looks professional.

Works fully in Mozilla too, an increasing rarity for personal sites it seems.
    Yeah thanks. I designed it to work with Mozilla too, I tested it in Firebird it worked fine apart from the usualy centered table bug. Even the BBC site does that though.

It should be good when its all done.

ReputationRep:
    amazing work !!!
    Kudos

ReputationRep:
    hey thats not too bad at all. well done mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It still needs some work but this is one of the sites I am going to use a reference site in a job interview.

It is not finished yet and I need to correct any spelling errors etc but the coding is all done. The only bit that isn't complete is the articles section, the articles database content system works fine though.

Thanks for any comments.
    its cool! i like it! much more structured than my site

ReputationRep:
    It looks nice - you may want to add some more human error messages though - for example typing in a catagory which dosn't exist brings up

Code:
    ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'

Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in conflict with one another.

/shop/products.asp, line 111
    You could check for these errors and print something more readable.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any comments.
    Nice site! I like the pics of Manchester - looks so familiar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    It looks nice - you may want to add some more human error messages though - for example typing in a catagory which dosn't exist brings up

Code:
    ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'

Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in conflict with one another.

/shop/products.asp, line 111
    You could check for these errors and print something more readable.
    Yeah the shops not finished yet, I still need to do a lot of work on that. The basic engine works though. How would I do an error message? Just somthing like?

In the if statememnt thats tell the database what table to open I haven't added an ELSE statement. I will just add do somthing like

Else
    Response.write "The catorgory you selected does not exist please try again"
    END IF

Hopefully that will work. I will try it tomorrow as I am going out tonight in theory.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any comments.
    it is very good.

why cant i make websites like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    it is very good.

why cant i make websites like that
    Well I can only do it because I have been studying a degree in Multimedia and Internet Technology fot the last year and a half.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the shops not finished yet, I still need to do a lot of work on that. The basic engine works though. How would I do an error message? Just somthing like?

In the if statememnt thats tell the database what table to open I haven't added an ELSE statement. I will just add do somthing like

Else
    Response.write "The catorgory you selected does not exist please try again"
    END IF

Hopefully that will work. I will try it tomorrow as I am going out tonight in theory.
    It would depend exactly how your database works - if it is supposed to return a bunch of records for a catogoryid and you type in one which dosn't exist something like

if objRS.Eof then response.redirect "error.htm"

ReputationRep:
    Well I can only do it because I have been studying a degree in Multimedia and Internet Technology fot the last year and a half.
    do you use angel fire?

ReputationRep:
    No I use proper hosting. It would cost about £100 a year normaly but my university pays for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    It would depend exactly how your database works - if it is supposed to return a bunch of records for a catogoryid and you type in one which dosn't exist something like
    Yeah testing for end of file should solve it.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed a mistake:

on http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/portfolio.asp
    Robertson HIFI

This site was made as apart of a university assignment and although fully functional it is not a real shopping site. The site includes a shopping basket and also had the ability for admin staff to update/delete and add records to the central database via web forms.

The site is coded in ASP with SQL statements used to manipulate database records. At the time of writing work still has not finished on this site but completion date is expected to be around mid Janaury 2003
    Don't you mean January 2004?

and why the empty 3rd table row?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    If you're going to use Response.Redirect, remember to ensure you set Response.Buffer = True at the top of the page.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that the golden rule in creating a site was to never EVER EVER say under construction. Don't ask me why, this is something my IT teacher told me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I've noticed a mistake:

on http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/portfolio.asp

Don't you mean January 2004?

and why the empty 3rd table row?
    Yes, he hasn't spell checked it or anything yet.

But amazingtrade, since we're pointing these things out, it's Chetham's School of Music, not Chatham's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    If you're going to use Response.Redirect, remember to ensure you set Response.Buffer = True at the top of the page.
    Good point - I usually do all my ASP before outputting any HTML so didn't think to mention it.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.