The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies Unit 2 (BUSS2) Revision thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Ah, that would make sense thank you :smile:
don't believe what i say lol i just a guess it and tbh a question like that would normally want you to apply it to a case study
OMG, I'm resitting this papers for the 3rd time...if anyone has any wise words please tell me, my revision NOT going to plan :frown:
Reply 203
Revise... lots. Make it work.
Is it me or does anyone else tend to repeat most of what they say in the analysis part when they are writing thier evaluation??
Reply 205
:nah: that suggests you aren't analysing or you aren't evaluating. Evaluation is more of a judgement.
Hey, guys, im going through budgets and im stuck on:
the implications of budget variances

Also how would you answer a question asking whether the benefits of budgeting outweight the disadvantages?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 207
Magic Dust
After revising the theories of motivation it has come to my attention that I really cannot remember who wrote which one... I remember all the theories but just not the theorists... Does anyone have an good suggestion on how to learn who wrote what? Or does it not matter, as long as I can reference the theories themselves...?

Herzberg Hygeine (H-H)

Maslows Hierarchy

McGregorys X an Y.

Those are the 3 that I remember and the reason I remember them is that I actually think of the theory's name as including the theorist, so I never say "hierarchy of needs" I ALWAYS say "Maslows Hierarchy of needs", same with mcgregors and Herzbergs :smile:

Magic Dust
So Maslow made the hierarchy...

Also, why do restaurants have higher labour turnover than the average?

Low amount of staff training so it isn't a huge loss when staff leave, difficult/stressful job at times, they often employ part-time workers who head off to uni/find other jobs, Waitressing tends not to be a career choice.

random123456789
Is it me or does anyone else tend to repeat most of what they say in the analysis part when they are writing thier evaluation??

Why don't you write up an example answer and we can see where your heading off on the wrong path? :smile:

dime_piece

A budget variance is the variance between your budgeted value and the actual value. If you budget higher revenues than you actually get then this means that your budgeted costs could leave you with a negative cash flow therefore you would need to quickly change the budget that different department have (for example, cutting the staffing budget). It also works the other way round as you can budget your costs too high and that can make you more profit that you haven't budgeted to spend :smile:

dime_piece

Also how would you answer a question asking whether the benefits of budgeting outweight the disadvantages?

Introduce what a budget is.

+ allows you to plan out where money is being spent, ensuring that you don't overspend.
- You can budget for more income than actually comes in so you must be flexible in your outgoings.

+ sets targets for staff, this can be motivational.
- external factors can easily destory the budget, for example cold weather can ruin an ice cream businesses budget by lowering revenues.

conclude by saying that you think the benefits OR disadvantages outweigh the benefits/disadvantages. Say why. Say why not.

e.g I believe that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages as it will allow her to set targets for her staff to reach, I believe this is vital for her business because the staff need to be motivated when dealing with customers although she must be flexible with the budget in case revenues are low.
Reply 208
dime_piece
Hey, guys, im going through budgets and im stuck on:

Thanks in advance!

The implications of budget variance depend on if they are adverse or favourable. If they are adverse this suggests that either costs were much higher then planned or sales were much lower than forecasts, this could, depending on the cash flow have major implications to the success of the business if not corrected. They may also want to investigate into the staff that have causes these adverse effects, if staff are to blame, as they are reducing the profitability of the business.

If they are favourable then it may be that the budgets set were too high which could imply that money may have actually been wasted. The business will also want to investigate why, because if it is due to a reduction in costs they will want this to keep continuing with this. It is also important for motivation that they praise good staff practises.

--------------

You'd say what the benefits are, such as helps set plans for the business and cost minimisation and the say like, however this could mean some departments do not have enough money to facilitate their needs etc...

EDIT: Damn you Davott :p:
Magic Dust

Davott

You're both AWESOME! I dont know what i would do without you both.
Thanks!
Reply 210
How come it says you have quoted me even though you haven't? :confused:
Reply 211
Haha, me and Magic Dust make a great team :P
Reply 212
Davott
Haha, me and Magic Dust make a great team :P

Magic Davott :wink: - aka MD.
Magic Dust
How come it says you have quoted me even though you haven't? :confused:

I tried to but it just came out as a space :confused: hence the gap before my reply.
Ok, im going to start answering some random questions so please mark them and give me feedback on how to get an A!

Evaluate some of the main causes of cash flow problems.

Cash flow is the amount of money that flows into and out of the business. Prudent managers are likely to use cash flow forecasts and other financial aids (such as budgeting) to manage their financial resources carefully and ensure that there is enough cash in the firm. Cash flow problems can be caused by a wide range of problems such as those listed below.

By giving goods on credit to debtors, a firm risks delaying their cash inflows. This is due to the fact that the firm is not receiving the money until after they have produced the goods even though costs are being incurred. The cost may lead to the firm using external sources of finance in order to avoid a negative cash flow. By allowing creditors to much credit without assessing their creditworthiness firms also risk increasing the number of bad debts they have. Firm’s must alter their credit terms to suit the business (and maybe coincide with creditor payment periods) without putting a strain on relationships with debtors.

Although borrowing from external sources (and potential stakeholders) such as the bank may provide a firm with large amounts of cash in the short term it may cause a problem in the long run. Once a loan has be arranged or a bank account overdrawn, the firm must pay back the amount borrowed with interest. This means that the firm is paying regular amounts out of the business regardless of cash inflows. If the bank does not pay the amount back then assets used to secure the borrowing will be repossessed. Thus firms can use a mixture of sources of finance incuding sources which do not require the amount to be paid back such as injecting more capital, seeking venture capitalists or giving out shares, however this may affect the overall control of the business.

In the event of stock piling, lots of money is tied up in stock and some goods such as raw materials are hard to liquidate without making a loss. Also large sums of money will have to be paid out in order to store held stock. Money can also be tied up in fixed assets which are also hard to liquidate thus in some cases it is better to lease capital items rather than buy them.

There are many unforeseen circumstances such as a recession which may cause the business to suffer from cash flow problems. A machine breakdown in particular will lead to the firm spending cash to repair or replace the machine; also production is affected meaning that the firm is producing less and thus selling less putting a strain on cash inflows.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 215
dime_piece

Cash flow is the amount of money that flows into and out of the business. Prudent managers are likely to use cash flow forecasts and other financial aids (such as budgeting) to manage their financial resources carefully and ensure that there is enough cash in the firm. Cash flow problems can be caused by a wide range of problems such as those listed below.

By giving goods on credit to debtors, a firm risks delaying their cash inflows. This is due to the fact that the firm is not receiving the money until after they have produced the goods even though costs are being incurred. The cost may lead to the firm using external sources of finance in order to avoid a negative cash flow. By allowing creditors to much credit without assessing their creditworthiness firms also risk increasing the number of bad debts they have. Firm’s must alter their credit terms to suit the business (and maybe coincide with creditor payment periods) without putting a strain on relationships with debtors.

Although borrowing from external sources (and potential stakeholders) such as the bank may provide a firm with large amounts of cash in the short term it may cause a problem in the long run. Once a loan has be arranged or a bank account overdrawn, the firm must pay back the amount borrowed with interest. This means that the firm is paying regular amounts out of the business regardless of cash inflows. If the bank does not pay the amount back then assets used to secure the borrowing will be repossessed. Thus firms can use a mixture of sources of finance incuding sources which do not require the amount to be paid back such as injecting more capital, seeking venture capitalists or giving out shares, however this may affect the overall control of the business.

Absolutely perfect. Apart from one or 2 things: you cant say a source of finance is "injecting more capital", I think you are thinking of retained profit. You also say that "if the bank does not pay the amount back..." I think you mean the business :P

But then...
dime_piece

In the event of stock piling, lots of money is tied up in stock and some goods such as raw materials are hard to liquidate without making a loss. Also large sums of money will have to be paid out in order to store held stock. Money can also be tied up in fixed assets which are also hard to liquidate thus in some cases it is better to lease capital items rather than buy them.

There are many unforeseen circumstances such as a recession which may cause the business to suffer from cash flow problems. A machine breakdown in particular will lead to the firm spending cash to repair or replace the machine; also production is affected meaning that the firm is producing less and thus selling less putting a strain on cash inflows.

In the first paragraph you kinda weave around 2/3 separate points without developing them, you are MUCH better picking up one point and developing it, so take stock piling and talking more about it for example how, if demand decreases, you are stuck with stock that you can't shift but your money is invested in.

Then the second paragraph, you mentioned external factors, a fantastic point but you mentioned the word recession but didn't explain that and instead went onto machine breakdowns (another valid point), again, you would have been better not saying the word recession and following through with analysing machine breakdowns in more detail.

Obviously, there is no Application and Im not sure what marks this is out of (10?) but it would get a good mark simply from those first three paragraphs, I would put this at 7/8 out of 10. To bump that up, you would need to go further into evaluation and analysis on the last 2 paragraphs. However, bear in mind that I am not an examiner, I am a student taking the same exam so I may be wrong in my marking :P
Davott
Absolutely perfect. Apart from one or 2 things: you cant say a source of finance is "injecting more capital", I think you are thinking of retained profit. You also say that "if the bank does not pay the amount back..." I think you mean the business :P

But then...

In the first paragraph you kinda weave around 2/3 separate points without developing them, you are MUCH better picking up one point and developing it, so take stock piling and talking more about it for example how, if demand decreases, you are stuck with stock that you can't shift but your money is invested in.

Then the second paragraph, you mentioned external factors, a fantastic point but you mentioned the word recession but didn't explain that and instead went onto machine breakdowns (another valid point), again, you would have been better not saying the word recession and following through with analysing machine breakdowns in more detail.

Obviously, there is no Application and Im not sure what marks this is out of (10?) but it would get a good mark simply from those first three paragraphs, I would put this at 7/8 out of 10. To bump that up, you would need to go further into evaluation and analysis on the last 2 paragraphs. However, bear in mind that I am not an examiner, I am a student taking the same exam so I may be wrong in my marking :P

Thanks for the advice, now that i read through it, i can see how rushed the last bit is:yep:. I think from now on i will concentrate on PEEing (developing my points more)!
Also thanks for the correction, i did mean retained profit (i was just in accounting mode:p: ).
Reply 217
dime_piece
I tried to but it just came out as a space :confused: hence the gap before my reply.

Interesting... Silly TSR.

Okay I am going to assess your essay, but I am not going to lie I went out tonight to a friends house so if it is slightly incoherent I am really sorry..

dime_piece
Ok, im going to start answering some random questions so please mark them and give me feedback on how to get an A!

Cash flow is the amount of money that flows into and out of the business. level 1 Prudent managers are likely to use cash flow forecasts and other financial aids (such as budgeting) to manage their financial resources carefully and ensure that there is enough cash in the firm. Cash flow problems can be caused by a wide range of problems such as those listed below. level 2

By giving goods on credit to debtors, a firm risks delaying their cash inflows. level 1This is due to the fact that the firm is not receiving the money until after they have produced the goods even though costs are being incurred. The cost may lead to the firm using external sources of finance in order to avoid a negative cash flow. By allowing creditors to much credit without assessing their creditworthiness firms also risk increasing the number of bad debts they have. Firm’s must alter their credit terms to suit the business (and maybe coincide with creditor payment periods) without putting a strain on relationships with debtors. level 3 - I would suggest the use of however here and then say like, however they may not have made so many sales or something.

Although borrowing from external sources (and potential stakeholders) such as the bank may provide a firm with large amounts of cash in the short term it may cause a problem in the long run.level 2 - although you are talking about cash flow, if I were you I'd make it clearer, so I would say something like, borrowing from backs can prevent cash flow problems in the short term, however... that was it is VERY clear you are answering the question (although you are) Once a loan has be arranged or a bank account overdrawn, the firm must pay back the amount borrowed with interest. This means that the firm is paying regular amounts out of the business regardless of cash inflows. If the bank does not pay the amount back then assets used to secure the borrowing will be repossessed. Thus firms can use a mixture of sources of finance incuding sources which do not require the amount to be paid back such as injecting more capital, seeking venture capitalists or giving out shares, however this may affect the overall control of the business. level 3 again. You aren't evaluating, like giving another side of the argument. You haven't said how many marks but if it is more then ten then it is essential you do this.

In the event of stock piling, lots of money is tied up in stock and some goods such as raw materials are hard to liquidate without making a loss. level 1 - in full honesty, although this is a good point you haven't directly said how it links to the question. Really make it clear that way the examiner cannot question whether to give you the marks.Also large sums of money will have to be paid out in order to store held stock. Money can also be tied up in fixed assets which are also hard to liquidate thus in some cases it is better to lease capital items rather than buy them. I don't think you have actually answered the question here although the point is very relative. You should just add a sentence at the end to explain how it links to cash flow problems.

There are many unforeseen circumstances such as a recession which may cause the business to suffer from cash flow problems. A machine breakdown in particular will lead to the firm spending cash to repair or replace the machine; also production is affected meaning that the firm is producing less and thus selling less putting a strain on cash inflows. Why?

Thanks in advance!

It starts off really well, but I feel like you seem to have become slightly distracted towards the end. You have to make sure every point links to the question because even if it is relevant you may not get the marks if you are not directly answering it. Also, always ask yourself why at the end of things to make sure you are fully analysing it.
Magic Dust

Thanks for your comment! I guess my main problems are: evaluating and adding more detail to my points! Could you please give me some evaluation comments that you would make in realtion to the question.
Thanks again!
Reply 219
dime_piece
Thanks for your comment! I guess my main problems are: evaluating and adding more detail to my points! Could you please give me some evaluation comments that you would make in realtion to the question.
Thanks again!

Taking your paragraph:

Stock piling can also lead to cash flow problems. This is because the companies money is tied up in it's stock which therefore makes it hard to liquidate without incurring a loss to the business. This may mean that the company is unable to pay off it's creditors even though the company may be profitable. It can be caused by an over production or buying too much raw materials. However, some businesses stock pill because they are seasonal which should only lead to short term cash flow problems. In this case it is not so much a problem to the cash flow, especially if it has been forecast so that the company is able to borrow the money from elsewhere, such as the use of an over draft. A way that a business might correct this cash flow issue may be to reduce it's price, it may also stop production until the current units have been sold, although the latter point may lead to issues with staff.

I hope that helps. Sorry I am really really tired, so I know it is probably a bit crap. I left out the second part of your paragraph because I think it is a separate point which you could expand on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending