Why would you not want to vote for UKIP?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Not trying to push UKIP on anybody as I know that would be illegal under UK electoral law, and I know that they're not the most popular political party, but just as a bit of healthy political discussion -

What about UKIP puts you off voting for them?

Thanks
TribeSpirit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think we should be part of the EU
Ocassus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I haven't read their manifesto but i am told some of their policies are a bit extreme. But very little other than that.
TShadow383
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing much, If we had a PR based electoral system in the UK I might even vote for them, it'd be nice to have a greater voice in the house of commons that wasn't pushing us into having more of our lives controlled by the EU.
They also want to consult on raising the motorway speed limit on certain sections, which I like
mazzafakka
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they're a one policy party amirite? pull out of the EU?

that and the fact that i'm not a euroskeptic
Prussianking666
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1.) Failure to understand economic
2.) failure to understand politics
3.) failure to understand society

I have seen their policies and its stupid, they don't make any sense, can't count and seem to contradict each other (such as getting rid of taxes and funding the armed forces while at the same time trying to cut the deficit). Let alone there a bunch of raving madmen.
Houdizzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They are a bunch of brainless reactionaries, the BNP without balls. At least those fascists admit to what they are.
Don John
Rep:
?
But UKIP have the legend that is Farage! Imagine him as Prime Minister
Houdizzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Farage is a loud mouth attention whore with small penis syndrome. The Jeremy Clarkson of politics.
TShadow383
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mazzafakka)
they're a one policy party amirite? pull out of the EU?

that and the fact that i'm not a euroskeptic
http://www.ukip.org/content/ukip-pol...-main-policies
Yes, you'd have to be anti-EU to support a lot of it, but they're hardly a one-policy party.

(Original post by Prussianking666)
1.) Failure to understand economic
2.) failure to understand politics
3.) failure to understand society

I have seen their policies and its stupid, they don't make any sense, can't count and seem to contradict each other (such as getting rid of taxes and funding the armed forces while at the same time trying to cut the deficit). Let alone there a bunch of raving madmen.
They do overestimate the amount of money we contribute to the EU, however they appear to have a generally "low tax, small government" approach. They would likely make significant cuts in other departments.
Not that it's entirely relevant because they're not getting into power any time soon, but oh well.

(Original post by Houdizzle)
They are a bunch of brainless reactionaries, the BNP without balls.
How so? They are anti-EU but that's not racism in any respect.

(Original post by Houdizzle)
Farage is a loud mouth attention whore with small penis syndrome. The Jeremy Clarkson of politics.
Nice to see you take a mature attitude to politics.
And being loud mouthed is precisely what I want from a politician, I want them to stand up and make people listen to the issue at hand.

(Original post by Don John)
But UKIP have the legend that is Farage! Imagine him as Prime Minister
That would be rather awesome, he's seems much less of a compulsive liar than Clegg, Cameron or Brown
User414413
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like the EU.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't agree with UK independence would be a good start...
FistOfFedor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
coz im polish and want my family to move to england and pick strawberies for less than minimum wage
A Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unless we want to be screwed over with taxes, immigration is a must - to spread the tax burden.
Don John
Rep:
?
As a handy outline of UKIP's policies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Inde...Party#Policies
I think they have some good old-fashioned common sense policies I definitely agree with their policies on immigration and politeness.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because unless UKIP has a magic solution to the ageing population of the UK, then just not even trying to fix the care system by making huge swingeing cuts across the board and stopping immigration seems like a Bad Idea

Then you have crap like increasing defence spending by 25% and banning the burqa.
Houdizzle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TShadow383)
How so? They are anti-EU but that's not racism in any respect.
Exactly you simple fool. Go back and read the point i made properly. :rolleyes:

Nice to see you take a mature attitude to politics.
And being loud mouthed is precisely what I want from a politician.
Isn't that a surprise :rolleyes: The serfs want a shouty **** to be their uneducated populist reactionary mouth piece.
Moe Lester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lord Pearson is an absolute joke.

I support the EU - although not in it's current form, reform can be achieved within the Union and not by pulling the plug on it all

Farage is an annoying loudmouth.

I don't support banning the Burqa.

I don't support army expansion by 25%.

I don't support Grammar Schools.

I don't want St. George's day a national holiday.
Prussianking666
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They do overestimate the amount of money we contribute to the EU, however they appear to have a generally "low tax, small government" approach. They would likely make significant cuts in other departments.Not that it's entirely relevant because they're not getting into power any time soon, but oh well.
Thats not the problem, they want to just have a flat tax of about 31% no NI no nothing....Thats just completley unfeasable to reduce the deficit without effectively dismantling organisations such as the NHS.

They are merely Conservative heavy or BNP lite.
iwilson03
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

They do overestimate the amount of money we contribute to the EU, however they appear to have a generally "low tax, small government" approach. They would likely make significant cuts in other departments.
Not that it's entirely relevant because they're not getting into power any time soon, but oh well.
Hmm how can they talk about 'small government' and then justify policies such as this:

UKIP opposes the takeover of major British companies such as the recent takeover of Cadbury's by Kraft and would create a new parliamentary committee that would be given powers to block the sale or merger of companies and to attach conditions, including requiring a UK Government “Golden Share”.[47]
Then you have policies such as 'ban the burka'.

I think they were probably anti-EU for vaguely nationalistic reasons, and then decided to take on a libertarian slant because it was convenient.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (75)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
16.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.11%
Isolating with family (32)
6.48%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.25%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.1%
Loneliness (48)
9.72%
Financial worries (18)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
9.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (50)
10.12%

Watched Threads