Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am starting my work experience in about 7 weeks, and Im bricking it. I am not a confident person, and I am really really shy, so choosing to do my work experience in a library might not be the best idea I have ever had. But.. I am doing my W/E is a library, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips for working in a library, or working with people for that matter. I have to do a few different things, including opening the mail and answering the phones, putting the books out on the shelves, and of course.. working on the main desk swiping the books in and out. It seems easy, plus I have to do it all free. I am looking forward to it, but worrying about it at the same time.. I will let you all know how my first day goes in a few weeks.. but it seems like it will be OK, plus you dont normally tend to get idiots in the library.. as it is considered an ''uncool'' place, weird. Any tips then?

ReputationRep:
    Your scared of working in a library, ive heard it all...

ReputationRep:
    or working with people for that matter.
    Bit too general to to say, really.. everyone's different. I did work experience in two different departments (one each week) and the people in one department were very different to the other, (especially in speech volume).

Start off polite, calling everyone "Mr This", etc. - its better to have them tell you to be less formal than to be told to be more formal. I daresay this applies especially in a library.

ReputationRep:
    About confidence: The answer is simple – by faking it, you can often end up feeling confident quite naturally.

Try and be as relaxed as possible. Be yourself, as that way you'll feel much more comfortable. About working with people, think of it this way. They are just people like you. Just smile and be helpful, and do what you have to do. You might feel nervous on the first day, but it will pass. Trust me, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Constantine)
    Your scared of working in a library, ive heard it all...
    I'm not, I just dont like the thought of talking to and meeting new people because I am a shy person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun O'Keefe)
    I'm not, I just dont like the thought of talking to and meeting new people because I am a shy person.
    Alot of people are (including me), it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Naturally you'll be nervous, but just go with the flow. If they weren't nice people they wouldn't take part in a W.E. programme.

ReputationRep:
    Good point - I have noticed that the staff that work there are really kind, helpful and polite, so it will probably all be fine.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a problem with shyness, do what I did. Last year I did some work experience at my local Conservative party office. I was given an opportunity to do something that I would never normally do. I was asked to go out into the local area to carry out a door to door survey. I was terrified at the thought of it, but was encouraged to do it. And guess what? It was great! It really helped me to overcome my shyness and made me realise that people really aren't that scary! Maybe you could find a way to do something similar.

ReputationRep:
    You're only 'shy' because you think you are (wow, how's that for a shallow cliche phrase!)...but it is true. I've no idea how to help or what to say, except STOP IT! Tell yourself they're more shy than you (that worked for me, freshers are putting on a 'confidence' act initially, by and large).

Any least bit of shyness I had disappeared when I went did the 18-30 clubrep role for a week as a JCR member during freshers week! If someone had told me i'd be doing that before I went to uni, I'd have though 'yeah, whatever'!!! That was something SO out of character for me. I was also a waiter from age 12 onwards in the family business - and i was so paranoid of silver serving people at first that i refused to do any tables bigger than 2. Absolutley paranoid. Then, one night it was really busy and short of staff. I was told to do a table of 12. I refused. i got yelled at. i did that table...and after that, any fear of big tables was gone.

Jump in the deep end, unless you're happy with low confidence/shyness! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ...virtually any job you take on will involve some level of person-to-person contact...

Don't sweat it, smile!

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to try and be confident about this, once you're there you'll probably relax and be fine about things, especially once you meet the people. Plus 2 weeks will fly by! Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    take a book to read to pass the time

ReputationRep:
    I hated my work experience. I applied to go to a lab and Trident stuck me in a hotel in Haydock. I basically spent 2 weeks walking around with a hoover. At the time I was going through the worst part of my shy, no confidence stage and so I didn't talk much. It was really hard for me.

You might be a bit worried and nervous for the first few days but I'm sure you'll get used to it as you go along. My friends who had better placements felt the same as you do but after a couple of days they loved it. They did their job well and got on with the other workers too.

ReputationRep:
    Aah, Trident, what a bunch of intelligent, competent, knowledgeable individuals.
    "It doesn't matter where you do your work experience..."

Yes it f***ing does!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.