Turn on thread page Beta

American Accent (the real deal!) watch

ReputationRep:
    So, do Americans have accents?...or do you Brits notice YOUR accents? Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    oh wow there is another accent thread. People need to stop bringing back old threads!! The "similar threads" links at the bottom are used for reading!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    So, do Americans have accents?...or do you Brits notice YOUR accents? Honestly.
    of course americans have accents :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why r there so many accent threads dammit?!

ReputationRep:
    Well when we speak you notice we have a very different accent and it's the same for us as when you speak there is no chance I can confuse your accent with ours.

I tend to think the English accent is flat but noticable and the American accent is high and squeeky - but maybe that is just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Well when we speak you notice we have a very different accent and it's the same for us as when you speak there is no chance I can confuse your accent with ours.

I tend to think the English accent is flat but noticable and the American accent is high and squeeky - but maybe that is just me.
    high and squeeky? i heard from british actors that our "accent" is just talking lazier...which would seem less of an accent. i dont know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecjs)
    Why r there so many accent threads dammit?!
    i dont know, i saw one accent thread about American Accent and thought it was going to be just that, and it wasn't, so I started one and then i noticed another one that someone brought back from a long time ago, and then some other people started more accent threads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    of course americans have accents :confused:
    im surprised curryadd isnt on this thread by now :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It is extreme vanity to imagine you don't have an accent, it's everyone else who does!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    high and squeeky? i heard from british actors that our "accent" is just talking lazier...which would seem less of an accent. i dont know!
    Well I'm just generalising there, this is probably not so true of the southern Americans... as their accents are flatter.

If a british person were to say 'yes' they'd pronounce it 'yes' but if an American did it would 'yezs'. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have a British accent. American accents I have founs are like british ones but more nasal (?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I have a British accent. American accents I have founs are like british ones but more nasal (?)
    a "british" accent? there's more than one, you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    a "british" accent? there's more than one, you know.
    Its Northern/Home type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    where are you guys getting this from? nasal? high and squeeky? that's not american...

a lot of americans use a head voice (around the forehead and top of head)

that's kind of nasal, i guess, except it's really completely different

that's how most women do it

the guys usually use the back of the throat

ReputationRep:
    I find American accents annoying. They're too whiney and too much. It's not the American's fault, I just don't like it. I have to leave the room when they start talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    where are you guys getting this from? nasal? high and squeeky? that's not american...

a lot of americans use a head voice (around the forehead and top of head)

that's kind of nasal, i guess, except it's really completely different

that's how most women do it

the guys usually use the back of the throat
    I was thinking of the nasal area, so yes. and now you mention it, it is more to do ith the back of the throat type speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy Whizz)
    I find American accents annoying. They're too whiney and too much. It's not the American's fault, I just don't like it. I have to leave the room when they start talking.
    whereas the english use the bottom of their tongue, i have to wonder if any of them could survive getting their tongue pierced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    I was thinking of the nasal area, so yes. and now you mention it, it is more to do ith the back of the throat type speech.
    nasal area does not = top of head region

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    whereas the english use the bottom of their tongue, i have to wonder if any of them could survive getting their tongue pierced
    yes, many people have survived having their tongues pierced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    yes, many people have survived having their tongues pierced.
    duh, i'm talking about without ****ing up your speech in any way

see, we dont pierce the back of our throats, so it seems to me we're better off

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.