ribeena
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey! Just thought I should start a thread about AH english.

How is everyone feeling about the exam in a week?
What are you studying?
Anyone doing creative writing?

Good luck in the exam this year. I hope it won't be too hard
Liam123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm worried an obscure question will pop up and I'll not know what to do.
Studying Pinter and Galloway. The teacher who normally does poetry refuses to after they started specifying poems last year.
And yes, I'm doing creative writing. I really need to sort out my final piece for Monday. I just can't get it right! I'm happy with my other one though.

Anyone else studying Pinter or Galloway. For Pinter, my teacher seems convinced the treatment of violence will come up this year.
rm92
Report 11 years ago
I'm doing Creative Writing - just finished editing my final pieces there. I'm doing Seamus Heaney in the exam, and I'm hoping something crops up about the role of a poet, because most other themes have been covered already. I've also got Jane Austen as a back-up, but I'm really not sure about Persuasion. Anyone else doing Heaney?
Pedrobear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rm92)
Anyone else doing Heaney?
Hello.

Role of a poet would be nice, as you said, or childhood. :puppyeyes:
rm92
Report 11 years ago
Hello.

I'd really like the role of a poet, because Personal Helicon would perfect for that kind of question. Childhood would be good too, but I'm sure that's came up before in past years. However, they could also bring in something about the relationship he had with his parents, which would allow stuff about childhood to be covered too?
Pedrobear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mm... if only it was easier to predict. Yeah Personal Helicon would be a good one, Frontiers of Writing... Follower perhaps? (very tenuously ), ehmm maybe it could be linked to the language stuff in Anahorish (soft gradient of consonant).

Casualty and Exposure?

Wait til I wake up and I can make this more coherent :bubbles:
rm92
Report 11 years ago
Yep, they all sound like possible content for the questions! I'm praying it's something along these lines, because I really don't want to do Jane Austen.
ribeena
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by rm92)
Yep, they all sound like possible content for the questions! I'm praying it's something along these lines, because I really don't want to do Jane Austen.
Haha... I know exactly how you feel about Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice is really quite easy to write on but Persuasion has little dialogue and although a good novel, is essentially boring. Comparing the two are a nightmare and I only got 17 in my essay in the prelim

Doing Shakespeare as my back-up. A bit of tragedy always gets me through my exams, I just hope the question won't be mind-bogglingly difficult that I write a mediocre essay on Othello and Antony and Cleopatra :yep:
wawa1906
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
so so so nervous. praying for a decent shakespeare question as i haven't started revising my other author. and i'm dire at textual analysis so that's something else to look forward to!
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 17
Report 11 years ago
Tennessee Williams and Sylvia Plath. Not worried about Williams, just need to learn some quotes and refresh my memory about some of the points. As for Plath, I'll learn about six poems (not all of them, just the really important verses). Think I'll do Williams though, the SQA are far kinder with essay questions about him.

Having said that I enjoy writing about Plath more but I don't know how I'd fare under exam conditions. :dontknow:
me4444
Report 11 years ago
What type of stuff would you write for role of a poet? I'm pretty strong at personal Helicon - but I'm unsure what else you could really write?

Anyone got any notes or tips on how to relate Casualty to the other poems?
lastplace
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's what, four days away? I've barely revised for it so far. I'm submitting a creative writing folio, so no 3 hour exam for me, thank god.
Tennessee Williams is my top choice, so here's hoping for a good question! A good Atwood question would also be a nice surprise.
rm92
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by me4444)
What type of stuff would you write for role of a poet? I'm pretty strong at personal Helicon - but I'm unsure what else you could really write?

Anyone got any notes or tips on how to relate Casualty to the other poems?
I'm pretty strong at Personal Helicon, too. The perfect question would be to analyse it from head to toe, but there's very little chance of that actually happening. :p:

For the role of a poet I would just explain why he writes certain types of poems. In the case of the elegies, perhaps he writes them as a process of dealing with the death, and with From the Frontier of Writing, for instance, he uses that as a link between the criticism he receives as a writer, and the exclusion he faced as a Catholic.

I've not did much on Casualty, but if it was to relate to the role of a poet you could mention the fact that it helps him to grieve, and also bring up the stuff about the man in the poem being interested about Heaney's poetry, despite having very different life skills. Hope that helps a little.
Madjackismad
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
Well... two days. :awesome:
rm92
Report 11 years ago
I'm starting to feel pretty nervous... But I'm managing to remember several quotes for about 11/15 of the Heaney poems, which isn't too bad I suppose.
wawa1906
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
shakespeare question better be good, because there is no hope of me tackling my other author! oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!
JamesWyl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hopefully I'll be writing about Duffy in the exam. I can comfortably write about 9, and I'm fairly familiar with the other 9 - I could write about them, but I don't know them as well and couldn't quote as much.

Does anyone know where there's a list of just random essay questions I could look through, just so that I can piece together poems that work well and help me feel more prepared? Wouldn't necessarily have to be on poetry, but there's a lot of different themes and things covered in the poems, it would just be good to know what I could write about comfortably.

I'm terrified it's going to be a "write with reference to "poem a", "poem b" and "poem c"." sort of thing and I end up with poems I really dislike. My backup is Waugh and - if I have to - my backup-backup is Winter's Tale/Tempest (but mainly Tempest).
ruby136
Report 11 years ago
hmmm i'm quite worried about it - doing Donne, Dickens, and Shakespeare. Would anybody be able to post the 2007 poetry question here - the SQA website only goes back as far as 2008 :-(
lastplace
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ruby136)
hmmm i'm quite worried about it - doing Donne, Dickens, and Shakespeare. Would anybody be able to post the 2007 poetry question here - the SQA website only goes back as far as 2008 :-(
I'm doing Donne as well, although I doubt I'll write about him tomorrow :P
Here is the 2007 question:

Oh my black Soule! now art thou summoned
By sickness, death's herald, and champion;
Thou art like a pilgrim, which abroad hath done
Treason, and durst not turn to whence he is fled;
Or like a thief, which till death's doom be read,
Wisheth himself delivered from prison,
But damned and haled to execution,
Wisheth that still he might be imprisoned.
Yet grace, if thou repent, thou canst not lack;
But who shall give thee that grace to begin?
Oh make thy self with holy mourning black,
And red with blushing, as thou art with sin;
Or wash thee in Christ's blood, which hath this might
That being red, it dyes red souls to white.

a) Identify the features of metaphysical poetry evident in this sonnet by Donne.
b) Go on to show how characteristic these features are of other metaphysical poems you have studied.
Madjackismad
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
Remember guys, the Donne question last year was quite bad so just be prepared. The AH English class did Donne last year, and they studied all the poems but the extremely specific question which said that you had to study three certain poems were the ones the class looked at the least. To say the head of English was raging is an understatement.

---

I'm hoping for a good Pinter question to come up. Don't want to do Janice Galloway at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.69%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.08%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
30%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.46%

Watched Threads