Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Everyone keeps saying "Wait till you get there, as second-years will be selling theirs cheap", but how cheap is "cheap"?

People on eBay seem to be selling the books I need, in the editions I need, (and yes, I have taken advice on which ones I need!) at less than half-price, with free postage. Will there really be students selling books for £5 or £10 pounds? It seems unlikely, when the books are worth £30 and £50 (and that's just the paperback editions...)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you can afford to buy them on Ebay and really think you'll need them then buy them. I think that half price is probably the best you'll do.

ReputationRep:
    Cheap isn't cheap.
    Some stingy students sell it for £2 less than what they bought it for.

I would reccommend Amazon 2nd hand if you want something now. Easy and more trustworthy than ebay. I have done it dozens of times.

You can get £10 pound off on some books there.

ReputationRep:
    ive already purchased a couple of books at uni and managed to get save at least £10. OK so they might have been used but as long as I can still read them and theyre the correct edition i really dont see any reason not to buy them now!
    psst make sure you dont say exactly what books your buying on ebay that r cheap cos im sure people reading this forum will then start looking for them on ebay and competing with you lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was able to get the books on my list cheap, brand new might I add. I don't think any students would be selling them much cheaper than I got them for.

Anyway I'd say go for it, less stress, just imagine turning up and not being able to get the books you need for whatever reason
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Right, thanks

I'll stick with eBay - Amazon Marketplace isn't particularly cheap, in my experience
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It varies a lot - sometimes you can pick up bargains on Amazon Marketplace (I bought a £37 textbook for £10 ). Plus some students just want to get rid of books so you sometimes find them very cheaply advertised on campus (again, I got a £25 book for £5 cos the person just didn't want it!).
    Don't forget though that there is another (more important) reason for waiting until you get to uni before buying books. You can save yourself even more by not buying books you don't need - and you won't know which ones you genuinely need (and can't just beg/borrow/steal!) until you get there.
    Jenn xx
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd rather have my own books, I've tried borrowing books before, and wasn't happy unless I could mark them.

The two books I want should do me for the whole of the year, I'll borrow/beg/steal any others.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get my reading list till im actually there, otherwise would buy the books off amazon now. I think it because the business school has its own library, so they hope people buy the books from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    I dont get my reading list till im actually there, otherwise would buy the books off amazon now. I think it because the business school has its own library, so they hope people buy the books from there.
    Blackwells Reading Lists may have a list for your course, just to get an idea of what books you'll be using

ReputationRep:
    Also, the uni libraries sometimes hold reading lists too.

I was thinking of buying some books too. A lot of them have multiple editions. Do you think it would be ok not to buy the latest one (e.g. buy 4th instead of 5th) Its just they are a lot cheaper, and in my experience aren't missing that much info. I could just read the reference copy in the library for any chapters it didn't have.

I used to buy so many new textbooks but I may as well get 2nd hand.

What do you think about getting the older version?

ReputationRep:
    It was predicted that a student doing my course in London would have to spend about £400 on books in the first year - i ordered all mine last week for £70. The last three books ive recieved i bought second hand - although they are in pristine first hand condition, totally unused - for £16 whereas first hand theyd have been over £70. Shop around, check all the book sites and the second hand options and youl save a fortune. NEVER buy first hand unless you have no other choice.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.