Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I need some good advise from ppl who have done the AS and A2 Computing and Chemistry courses.

I was planning to take:

Maths
    Biology
    Physics
    Computing

however when i was collectin my gcse results today from my form tutor who is he head of chemsitry strongly recommended me to do Chemistry and drop computing as chemistry is regarded as a 'stronger' subject. In otherwords he thinks computing is not as good as chemistry. (i originally chose computin because i thought it was easy and it was a A grade in a bag)

(i got A in both chem and ict @ gcse lvl)

So i have to make a quick decision which i want to do. From what i read in the forums computin takes alot of time from other subjects as theres an large amount of coursework and Chemistry is sometimes boring and hard.

I do well in other science subjects i.e. Biology. I do find chemistry harder than biology and physics at GCSE lvl.

I wouldn't like to lessen the chance of gettin 3 A grades at A2 by choosin a very hard subject or a extremely time consuming one. I also do plan to go to universities like bath, bristol, durham even oxford and cambridge if im indeed lucky enough.

Personally i do not hate computin or chemistry but i do find chemistry harder.

Soz for any typos but this is urgent as i need to make up my mind quickly so please any advice is welcomed!! (also if u have any concern about my AS choices please say so!!)

Thx beforehand

ReputationRep:
    Ok Ive done both (but only to AS level so far) Chemsitry and Computing are both considered to be some of the hardest subjects you could study at A-Level, but it all depends on how you think, Computing - You have to be good at thinking logicaly and quickly, also there is alot of termanology to remeber for the exam, Chemsity - quite a few odd names for relativly simple processes but it requires you to have a good understaning of how things work and what seems like thousands of chemical reactions.

In my opinion I think Computing is harder than Chemistry (even though I did better in computing) but again it depends on how you think.

Also just as an after though If you plan on doing a traditional science degree at Uni, Chemistry would be more favourable than Computing

ReputationRep:
    What exam board for Computing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    What exam board for Computing?

our sixth form does AQA only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silvas)
    Hi

I need some good advise from ppl who have done the AS and A2 Computing and Chemistry courses.

I was planning to take:

Maths
    Biology
    Physics
    Computing

however when i was collectin my gcse results today from my form tutor who is he head of chemsitry strongly recommended me to do Chemistry and drop computing as chemistry is regarded as a 'stronger' subject. In otherwords he thinks computing is not as good as chemistry. (i originally chose computin because i thought it was easy and it was a A grade in a bag)

(i got A in both chem and ict @ gcse lvl)

So i have to make a quick decision which i want to do. From what i read in the forums computin takes alot of time from other subjects as theres an large amount of coursework and Chemistry is sometimes boring and hard.

I do well in other science subjects i.e. Biology. I do find chemistry harder than biology and physics at GCSE lvl.

I wouldn't like to lessen the chance of gettin 3 A grades at A2 by choosin a very hard subject or a extremely time consuming one. I also do plan to go to universities like bath, bristol, durham even oxford and cambridge if im indeed lucky enough.

Personally i do not hate computin or chemistry but i do find chemistry harder.

Soz for any typos but this is urgent as i need to make up my mind quickly so please any advice is welcomed!! (also if u have any concern about my AS choices please say so!!)

Thx beforehand
    Both are difficult subjects particularly if taken to full A-Level. GCSE is a breeze but most people find A/S level a big step up. Both subjects require logic however Computing does require it more because lots of algorithms to follow. Chemistry does to but its about understanding a particular effect has on a reaction or what product will be produced or the identity of reagents. I wouldn't take any subject you don't enjoy or find difficult because you will find it harder........

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silvas)
    our sixth form does AQA only
    I did Edexcel chemistry at both AS and A2 but only did AQA Computing till AS. My honest opinion is that it [computing] was ***** and a total waste of time. Now, that may reflect the quality of teaching and other factors, I dunno but I found it a really poor subject. The coursework isn't overly difficult and we had something like 3 months to do it and it can be done in Access. We had no other real marked pieces of homework or assignments. The content in the syllabus isn't that difficult. A lot of it you may know from GCSE ICT and some is common sense. Other bits I didn't find that hard to pick up except the programming but that doesn't make up a huge amount of the exam and given time, can become quite logical. The exam papers are virtually identical every year, a large proportion of questions are virtually repeated each time round. I got an A with really minimal effort. Do a search on here and you'll get a few more opinions but mine is go for Chemistry. I didn't particularly enjoy it at first but I didn't put enough effort it. Once you learn the basics it becomes quite interesting and in my opinion got easier as we went into A2 (things start to make sense a lot more).

I suppose if you want to go into Computer technology or whatever at uni then go for computing but if it's something un-related to both subjects then my opinion would be Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    great, thx for all the advice so far! keep them comin!

ReputationRep:
    I shall be applying for Computer Science at Cambridge this year, and my opinion is that Chemistry is a much stronger AS level than Computing - although I do have both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwright)
    I shall be applying for Computer Science at Cambridge this year, and my opinion is that Chemistry is a much stronger AS level than Computing - although I do have both.
    I agree with George.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with Chemistry. It's more of an established A-level, and even some universities (you'd have to check depending where you want to go) say that they have no preference as to whether or not a prospective computer science candidate is doing Computing A-level. Also with chemistry you do many different topics, and do practicals, wheras you might feel you do lots of similar things in computing?

I did Edexcel, but all my coursework was done in lesson time (mainly because they were often assesed practicals), and so it did not take up time from other subjects.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2005

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.