The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography Decision Making Paper! (edexcel)

Have you guys gotten the decision making paper for Edexcel GCSE Geography yet? What do you guys think of it? What do you think will come up as the "decision" etc...

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ohhh I got that yesterday I think. tbh I haven't really looked through it XD my teacher told me to highlight loads of stuff but I haven't really taken anything in. I don't know what this decision making paper is about really :s-smilie: although I'm not too worried cuz apparently, the year before last, 2/3 of the geography class got 100% on it :| :smile:
I've seen it , it's just general decision making , they give scenarios like a area that's prone to flooding , then they ask you what you'd to to reduce the risk of flooding and so on , quite easy really :smile:
I've got that...it's 'eco-towns' these year. Yawn.

Oh well, best start researching them so I pass at least one GCSE this year.
Reply 4
yellowmeringue
I've got that...it's 'eco-towns' these year. Yawn.

Oh well, best start researching them so I pass at least one GCSE this year.

I hate the eco-towns bit...but I am fine with the settlement at the beginning. I wonder what questions they are gonna ask on the "decision".

Have u guys memorized all the terms yet?
AngelxPop
I hate the eco-towns bit...but I am fine with the settlement at the beginning. I wonder what questions they are gonna ask on the "decision".

Have u guys memorized all the terms yet?

I reckon the decision is going to be whether eco-towns are a good idea, or where an eco-town should be built (choice of the 3 sites: micheldever station, shipton or middle quinton.)
Reply 6
Look at the circular diagram of Sustainable towns they have included.
Analyse each of your 3 eco-towns in relation to how sustainable they are according to the criteria on that diagram.
Reply 7
Make sure you know the implications for paper 2 with this unit being selected for paper 1.

You are unlikely to get 100% in this paper without a great deal of preparation.

As a starting point you need to read the whole booklet through really carefully.

Then go through it again with a highlighter and highlight all the words in italics. It is essential you learn definitions for all of these.

Next you need to go through with a focus. Perhaps looking at all the graphs, maps, charts, cartoons and diagrams. Pay great attention to scales and keys.
Think back to all the skills of description, interpretation and analysis you have learnt over the last 11 years at school!

You need to study the 3 options closely and relate each to the info' available. Eg which are greenfield/brownfield sites? How well does each fit in with Government aims? And the sustainability wheel? You can be very subjective at first but will need to be far more objectives in your decisions later. No decision will be right or wrong but all will need justification.

Perhaps I'll post again soon once I've finished doing all the above!
Reply 8
GCR01
Make sure you know the implications for paper 2 with this unit being selected for paper 1.

You are unlikely to get 100% in this paper without a great deal of preparation.

As a starting point you need to read the whole booklet through really carefully.

Then go through it again with a highlighter and highlight all the words in italics. It is essential you learn definitions for all of these.

Next you need to go through with a focus. Perhaps looking at all the graphs, maps, charts, cartoons and diagrams. Pay great attention to scales and keys.
Think back to all the skills of description, interpretation and analysis you have learnt over the last 11 years at school!

You need to study the 3 options closely and relate each to the info' available. Eg which are greenfield/brownfield sites? How well does each fit in with Government aims? And the sustainability wheel? You can be very subjective at first but will need to be far more objectives in your decisions later. No decision will be right or wrong but all will need justification.

Perhaps I'll post again soon once I've finished doing all the above!

Hello thanks :smile: I wonder if you've done much analysis so far? I am thinking of going with the option A if it asks which is more sustainable. However, it isn't the most environmentally friendly :frown: I don't know, what do you think??
Reply 9
Don't forget they have over the last few years, added a little extra question at the end of the final decicion-based question - this time it could be along the lines of where else in Britain would you site an eco-town and use the resources to have to justify it.
Actually as long as you justify your decision on a sustainable basis, there is rarely a truly wrong answer for the last question.
which ecotown do u all think shud be the best one to go for and y do u guys prefer it?

i know its our own opinion but want to find weather it will be a good choice.
Reply 11
can we go through advantages and disadvantages for each? :smile:
and is limestone permeable or impermeable? - is town B prone to flooding? :s-smilie:
Reply 12
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7327395.stm

"Ministers have rejected plans to build "eco-towns" on three controversial sites in Hampshire, Oxfordshire and Derbyshire, the BBC has learned.

Micheldever Station, Grovewood in Derbyshire national forest and Shipton Quarry are among 40 rejected applications, sources say.

Most were on greenbelt land, threatened wildlife or were similar to projects previously denied planning permission. "
Reply 13
There's normally a 3 mark question at the end about what extra information would help you choose which is the best option. So far, I'm thinking something like how high is the demand for housing in the area where the eco-town is being located. Anybody got any other ideas?
Hudzy
Anybody got any other ideas?

I haven't overly looked at the booklet but what about the population densities of different areas? because figure 3 does not show the specific population densities?
Reply 15
RaspberryHaze
I haven't overly looked at the booklet but what about the population densities of different areas? because figure 3 does not show the specific population densities?

Yeah that should be helpful as it would allow you to see which area needs an eco-town the most in order to cope with an increasing need for housing and would be the most effective at reducing overcrowding.
Hudzy
There's normally a 3 mark question at the end about what extra information would help you choose which is the best option. So far, I'm thinking something like how high is the demand for housing in the area where the eco-town is being located. Anybody got any other ideas?

Oh that is a good one!

Other two things I can think of:
1. How much it will cost
2. How it will affect (or effect, never know which one to use) the current residents or people working in the area, such as in Town A.

bbcbitesize
which ecotown do u all think shud be the best one to go for and y do u guys prefer it?

i know its our own opinion but want to find weather it will be a good choice.

I am choosing Town A as the best one, then Town C, Then Town B is the worst (in my opinion :P)

DoaaK
can we go through advantages and disadvantages for each? :smile:
and is limestone permeable or impermeable? - is town B prone to flooding? :s-smilie:

Not sure about the limestone, think water can go through it though. Yeah, I think it is prone to flooding due to it being so near to the river.

Eco-Town A
Advantages
1. Good amount of schools
2. Poor farmland Used
3. Lots of green spaces
4. Carbon neutral
5. Re-use water
6. 16,250 Jobs created
7. Lots of houses Made

Disadvantages
1. Further decrease biodiversity
2. Water is far away to get
3. The 200 residents already there would get annoyed with the increase in housing

Eco-Town B
Advantages
1. Low quality farmland used
2. 2,500 jobs created
3. Nature reserve
4. Self-sufficient with water.

Disadvantages
1. Built on greenbelt
2. Near river, burst bank can cause flooding
3. Built on SSI and Wildlife Site
4. Long time to build
5. Small town centre

Eco-Town C
Advantages
1. Brownfield site used
2. 3,000 jobs created
3. 6,000 houses
4. Built quickly
5. Existing woodlands kept and news ones created
6. Lots of open space

Disadvantages
1. Far from train station - 8km away
2. Near AONB
3. Incineration pollutes gases
4. Some of 530 people may loose jobs
5. Habitat of butterflies destroyed

hope that helps :biggrin:
why is housing a top government priority?

why is more afforable housing needed?

whay may some houses needto be built on green belt areas?

could someone give me a hand on the above questions please .
bbcbitesize
why is housing a top government priority?

why is more afforable housing needed?

whay may some houses needto be built on green belt areas?

could someone give me a hand on the above questions please .

1. As lots of people are needing houses due to the increase in population/migration ect.

2. So people on lower incomes and starting on the property ladder (such as young couples) can own a house, as house prices are increase far more then incomes (figure 7 in the resource booklet)

3. As there is no where else to build it or no suitable brownfield sites. Also they wouldn't build lots houses too far away from cities.

May be wrong, but that is the only answers I can really think of :eek3:
Charlesworth
1. As lots of people are needing houses due to the increase in population/migration ect.

2. So people on lower incomes and starting on the property ladder (such as young couples) can own a house, as house prices are increase far more then incomes (figure 7 in the resource booklet)

3. As there is no where else to build it or no suitable brownfield sites. Also they wouldn't build lots houses too far away from cities.

May be wrong, but that is the only answers I can really think of :eek3:

thankyou... u seems like u've done lots of revision....
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending