Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

I've noticed reading through some posts that hompophobia seems to come up quite often and wondered why? The generation of teenages and young adults on here are suppose to be the most open minded but it doesn't seem that way at all - maybe i'm just being picky at the few ***** that are homophobic but its just bugging me!

So i ask - Are you homophobic? Have you ever been called homophobic, why?

Cheers :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a ****

ReputationRep:
    what does your questiom mean?

im not gay, i dont want to be gay, but i know and like people that happen to be gay (well, the ones that arent camp as sin). so where am i on your choices?

ReputationRep:
    It comes up because today's youth have a habit of attributing themselves with more intelligence than they truly possess.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I clicked the wrong option dammit...I wanted to click 'doesn't affect me'...I'm too tired

And I'm not homophobic, a persons sexuality is their own business and is not there to be criticised or ridiculed by others.

ReputationRep:
    Homophobic implies phobos(fear) of Homo(sexuals) to me and I don't think that anyone here is actually scared of them per se, because that would be 'odd'. But yes, I'm sure people think it's un-natural/against nature.

ReputationRep:
    we all know what the "literal" meaning is and we all know what we intend to mean when we use the word - let's not get bogged down in semantics - despite the fact that it is bit of a badly worded poll :s:

as for homophobic tsr - not really. most of the people i would describe as properly "homophobic" are just bnp members who hang around in d and d making complete fools of themleves - there are some who can keep up a semblance of debate and they're just generally nasty people e.g. technik :mad: and howard i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euripides)
    Homophobic implies phobos(fear) of Homo(sexuals) to me and I don't think that anyone here is actually scared of them per se, because that would be 'odd'. But yes, I'm sure people think it's un-natural/against nature.
    Yes, but we don't define everything etymologically.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Do I disagree with homosexuals? Of course! Just as I disagree with straight people. There are just as big a proportion of homosexuals with views that I don't agree with as there are homosexuals. I don't go out of my way to disagree or agree with someone just because of their sexual preference :rolleyes:

Well...that's what the question asked...

ReputationRep:
    oh we love sarcastic pedantry on tsr

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was sarcastic pedantry particularly. Just a very stupid ambiguous question really.

ReputationRep:
    He had a point. I don't mind gays at all, but it annoys me a lot when some people affect the camp voice and mannerisms - that isn't natural; why do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    There are lots of gay people I can't stand.

there are lots of straight people I can't stand either.
    <3 is an equal oppurtunites hater!

ReputationRep:
    This normally gets me branded a 'bigot' but I'll say it anyway.

Someone's sexuality is their own business. It's not my business - this means I shouldn't stick my nose where it ain't wanted. It also means, in my opinion, that I should not have anything shoved in front of my nose.

I hate the defiant attitudes, self-segregation and general need to go parading around shouting 'I'm gay' from the hills that many gay people exhibit. I don't want to hear lurid and seedy tales about Kemal BB6's sexuality or how difficult it was to 'come out'.

Straight or gay, decent people, keep their sexuality, sex-life et al as a private matter. I'd disagree with a straight society, I disagree with the LGBTsoc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarkey_Berlin)
    He had a point. I don't mind gays at all, but it annoys me a lot when some people affect the camp voice and mannerisms - that isn't natural; why do it?
    no one puts that on all the time - gay people only ever do it (and rarely) i front of other gays or as part of some kind of comedy act i suppose - but the majority of these kinds of people are like just because they are.

ReputationRep:
    I clicked the wrong option dammit...I wanted to click 'doesn't affect me'...I'm too tired
    Same, I thought the questions was is TSR homophobic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Fox)
    I hate the defiant attitudes, self-segregation and general need to go parading around shouting 'I'm gay' from the hills that many gay people exhibit. I don't want to hear lurid and seedy tales about Kemal BB6's sexuality or how difficult it was to 'come out'.
    This is all a perfectly natural expression of the gay community's reaction to the oppression etc. that has previously been directed towards it. As for lgbtsocs - like or not being gay is an important part of your life - not because sexuality is an inherently important thing - but because a deviant one is. This makes it neccessary to have a support network in place where gay/bi/trans people can meet and share experiences and help eachother.

As for kemal - well that's got nothing really to do with this debate unless you want to use his actions to generalise about millions of gay people worldwide which I'm assuming you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    <3 is an equal oppurtunites hater!
    She said what I was meaning, only much more eloquently (as usual )

ReputationRep:
    How can you classify an entire organization as homophobia, it's like someone asking 'Is Britain Racist?'. It's a moot point. Also to the person who wanted to break down the latin roots of Homophobia, get a life you geek, that got old in year 8.

ReputationRep:
    IMHO, there are plenty of gay people who exaggerate their natural campness for effect. That pisses me off. I'm sure they have plenty of reasons for doing so; but - rightly or wrongly - I disagree with it. There are plenty of things that straight people do that piss me off as well, so please don't think I'm being invidious.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.