Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Make a Shuttle PC

ReputationRep:
    I'd also say laptop... I can recommend you IBM Thinkpads. I have one and the battery lasts almost 4 hours with the standard battery. If you pay extra you can get a bigger one and then you can use your laptop for like 6-7 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Question for people already at uni: do you often take your laptop to lectures etc and to the library?
    Cos im considering maybe just buying a PC and taking a USB flashdrive to use with the uni computers when im out and about the place.
    I doubt id be moving it about that much if I have a laptop, unless its common to take them with you to lectures and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    Question for people already at uni: do you often take your laptop to lectures etc and to the library?
    Cos im considering maybe just buying a PC and taking a USB flashdrive to use with the uni computers when im out and about the place.
    I doubt id be moving it about that much if I have a laptop, unless its common to take them with you to lectures and stuff?
    When I was at uni I found it really handy to have a laptop rather than desktop...I often had to meet people to work on presentations and it meant we didn't always have to meet in the stuffy computer rooms, and I could also take my laptop to the actual presentation and plug it in to the projector...sooo much easier. During exam/assignment time the computer rooms at university get really busy so it is nice to have an alternative. Lots of university libraries have points for you to plug your laptop in to get network access and some have wireless networks on-campus.

ReputationRep:
    Few people I know take laptops to lectures; you get given lecture notes and annotate them so there's really no need. I have a USB memory stick for carrying work around, plus we can upload stuff onto the network and access it from anywhere.

Personally I'm a PC fan, because I find laptops harder to work on. Definitely a TFT monitor though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I use my laptop in lectures, but not many people do.

ReputationRep:
    Playing Devil's Advocate... nobody is going to steal your desktop PC...

ReputationRep:
    I love my laptop. I means I can go on the computer while in bed. A definate advantage

ReputationRep:
    I take mine ot lectures but that is because I am blind and so written lecture notes are useless to me.

As to the point of it being stolen if you have a backpack laptop bag its hard to tell it isn't just a rucksack

ReputationRep:
    i faced the same dilemma and went for a laptop. portability won it and being able to take it into school, but if you want to play games etc i wouldnt get one. I have just ordered and acer machine id recommend them...obviously.

ReputationRep:
    well ive just got a laptop (kinda crappy but it works) and i'd say its a good investment. and as far as security goes you can get thigns to secure it to something via the lock thing that all laptops have. theives usually wont go to the trouble if its locked down

ReputationRep:
    Wat is the best laptop for gaming; can i get a 2.13 GHz intel centrino with PCi-E graphics card and 2 gb ram? will that be as effective as i know you can get an AMD-64 bit chip in a laptop but it gets soooo hot and battery life is so poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    I've got a laptop and it is so useful to take to the library / labs with you. They are also easy to take if you are popping home for a few days.
    I agree! A PC is too big and bulky. The battery life in my new laptop is just over 1 hour when fully charged which is ample time if you want to take it to the library with you. Otherwise just plug it into the mains in your halls of residence!

I think its also best for personal property reasons. I would feel safer being able to take my laptop home with me, rather than risking leaving my PC in the halls over the whole of the summer time. Its sooo much more convenient a laptop and does just as many things as a PC does. Mine has a 40GB hard drive and only cost me £500 which is cheap for a laptop (its a Toshiba). Basically it does the job, you can rip your favourite music to it, just like a PC the possibilities are endless, with the added benefit of being portable and small (takes up hardly any room).

In other words get a laptop. Only downsides are that laptops generally speaking are more expensive than a PC and they are a bit more fragile. However, as long as you are not a clumsy person (ie. not drinking coffee right next to it, or positioning the laptop under a shelf in which items could fall onto it) then you will be fine.

Plus I find laptops much quieter as well... mine does not make any noise at all, and the fan is just below a whisper when it does kick in.

I recommend getting a Toshiba Equium (the one I have), cost me about £500, has 256MB of RAM... and as long as you dont want a laptop to play video games this machine will do the job just fine. Plays DVD's and music without any problems when you want a bit of fun, and it also runs Microsoft Office without any problems. Its the perfect student laptop.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Is there no reason why I can't buy a PC and a PDA, and then use the PDA to connect to the wireless network, shunt files, take notes, work on documents, whatever?

It seems as if it would be easier - you can't exactly carry a laptop around on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    thanx every1 for ur replies
    so do any of u know where i can get a cheap laptop from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruth_lou)
    thanx every1 for ur replies
    so do any of u know where i can get a cheap laptop from?
    dell are doing one for 349 including delivery!

to the ppl saying desktops are better spec for the money - true - but does that really matter if all you are doing is internet/typing etc?

get a good laptop cable lock and noone will try to steal it. halls are quite secure anyway, espesh if you're not on the ground floor!

the main upgrade you might need to do is the RAM. thats just as easy as doing it on a desktop! i've got a gig of RAM in mine now, from 256, soooooo much faster now!

ReputationRep:
    Laptop + docking station in your room, best of both words then.

ReputationRep:
    I use a laptop, I use it for Gaming, video editing, graphic processing and design so u can imagine, its being pushed to different limits. It uses an intel pentium M processor which is a hybrid of pentium 4. Basically it does the buisness. I guess you have to know wat ur using ur computer for. and depending on mobility too and convinience move towards a laptop. Or stationary high capacity computer move towards a desktop. If going for a laptop and u are an engineering, graphics or architecture student U NEED A GOOD RELIABLE GRAPHICS CARD TO HANDLE LINE DRAWINGS AND 3D ENVIRONMENTS. Something to note. Check out this page http://www.geocities.com/joezworld_online/unilist.html for a little more advice and general tips. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    You ain't gonna beat a good desktop at all. You get a better spec for less money. Yes its bigger but this doesn't necessarily mean it takes up that much more space. A TFT screen takes up next to no room and you can usually rest the keyboard on top of the screen when you're not using it (yes it does work!). Plus its much much easier to upgrade. Going into halls in the first year my internet connection comprised of a socket on the wall. Next year the house im living in will have wireless internet. So I need to get a wireless thingamy wotsit; which you can get for both PCs and laptops. However! Most laptops only have one PCMIA (or whatever its called) slot whilst I would need to have at least three (one for a graphics card, one for a soundcard and one for the wireless). Whislt you could get a wireless adapter built into the laptop, its more expensive. The main advantage of a desktop is that there are endless upgrade options. I've added another CD drive, floppy drive, soundcard and graphics card none of which I could have done with a laptop.

And desktops arent that bad to transport! I took mine with me in the back of my little 106 and it fitted fine even with the rest of my stuff. And I could still see out the back screen!!!

ReputationRep:
    The problem with a desktop is not so much the moving it up to uni and back again at the end of the term, it is more if you want to pop home for the weekend on the train. If you have a laptop then it's no problem, whereas with a desktop it would be impossible.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.