Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got one for £399 from PC World today.Nifty little thing....problem is a lot of places are selling out now so hurry!

I was going to take my desktop PC but space was my main worry.I wanted my desk for writing/putting things on,not having a huge PC hogging the whole thing.Portability was also an issue...now I can take the lap top on the train etc.

I am worried about it being stolen though.

I'm not too bothered about the speed or whatever as long as it works and I can type things up on to it!

ReputationRep:
    im going for my pc as i think it will be better to take, has more memory, dont really need to take it to lectures etc.

ReputationRep:
    yeah laptop defo. although theu are probably slightly more expensice they have greater advantages than a PC. the battery life is usaully about 3 hours, depending upon what u are using it for. but the battery life would only be used when u are using outside of ur room. any time in ur room ul have it pluegged in into the main probably

ReputationRep:
    I decided to buy a Shuttle SFF desktop.

Desktop over laptop because
    • I wouldn't ever take the laptop out of my room.
    • Better spec for the price.
    • Large clear screen, mouse and keyboard setup that I'm used to - much easier to work on.
    • Able to build it myself (not possible with a laptop) so I know it will only have decent, reliable components and I will be able just fix it myself and RMA individual components rather than ring up some incompetent tech support line and end up without a computer for 4 weeks while they try to work out what is wrong.

SFF over full-size desktop to save space as I expect my room in London will be rather crampt.

ReputationRep:
    definately a desk top, especially if you can build yourself/get someone to build you a mini pc. cheaper in price incomparision to laptops and you can update them later like with dvd rewriter.

ReputationRep:
    I realise that a laptop has portability as one of it's main reasons for use, but if you are going to have to commute everyday (like myself) for about 45 minutes, whilst carrying textbooks and stuff, isn't it more practical to have a desktop? Wouldn't the portability become a gimmicky feature used when you have a presentation or coursework to do in the library when it's packed near deadline day?
    However, going to Japan in my third year may necessitate a laptop. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    The problem with a desktop is not so much the moving it up to uni and back again at the end of the term, it is more if you want to pop home for the weekend on the train. If you have a laptop then it's no problem, whereas with a desktop it would be impossible.
    simple, you save your stuff on a USB pen and take that home if you want to do work. And at Christmas and easter i just took the little base unit thing and plugged it into my home screen etc... people seem to forget that rooms have locks and security and are perfectly safe over holidays, weekends blah blah 9and you should have insurance anyway!)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Laptop: Good to carry around as opposed to PC, but remember there are PC's at uni. The battery In a lot of laptops has a limited time that it will be useful and sometimes dies completely. If your a bloke, the heat from a laptop can make you infertile if you actually use it on your lap!!!

PC obviously im biased because I have a pc but I believe you can get a top pf the range PC (normal casing I mean and no fancy fans and things) for the same price as a pretty standard laptop. Most new laptops you need to buy external drives if it doesnt come with floppy (many new ones dont) or dvd rw. PC's are easier to upgrade if you find it isn't suiting your needs whereas laptops need to be sent away to be upgraded. Less likely for a pc to be stolen because people just cant be bothered lol.

EDIT: I know someone who has a laptop, think its an advent. It gets too hot in 1.5 minutes unless you have something to levitate it up in the air so that plenty of air gets underneath (the heat gappy thing is on the bottom) if not it turns itself off and takes 1-2 hours to cool down. The same laptop also has a habit of electrocuting people....so if I was you and you are deffo gonna get a laptop dont get a silver one lol.

ReputationRep:
    laptops are more convenient s you can take it anywhere with you unlike a pc.
    if its low on battery you can always plug it into a socket in your room and charge it up
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    it depends what you will be using a computer for.

a laptop is good if you do your basic word processing, and internet surfing on it. use it for something more advanced like databases and cad software, you'll find in a couple of months time how slow it would have gone, and it'll piss you off even more when it will eventually stop working. then you'll need to get a new one, coz repairing it would have cost quite a bomb. and usually it is difficult to find a fault in a laptop. however, they are very good if you're a busy person, and are likely to use your laptop on the move. i think that's all they are good for - mobility, and perhaps warming up your cup of tea, and if you're that cold, your hands and feet.

and compared to a desktop, you'll find that a laptop's spec is much basic compared to desktops. I have a Dell desktop 8400 P4 HT 3.00ghz (not the highest in the p4 range / 1024mb ram / 160 gb HD /. There are other Pentium ranges better the Pentium 4, but of course very expensive. I have found no laptop to match its standard, and it only cost £540 with a 15inch flat panel tft. i think if there is a laptop as good as my desktop (its a mid range desktop, nothing spectacular), you're looking at a £2k+ laptop if it were to ever exist my desktop's spec. However, the downside to it is the tower is quite large and heavy, so it is best if it stays in your room for a whole term. if you aren't rich and want something to last you for the rest of your time at uni, then a desktop is recommended. throw in a PDA for £160 too, and you'll be enjoying both benefits of value, versatility and mobility.

if you have a laptop, whatever you do, have it strapped to you at all times when travelling. you wouldnt want to leave it on a train, or in a shop. and carry a spare mains adapter/battery. and have the support number handy.

ReputationRep:
    aarrrggghh so many different opinions im in a right old tiz-woz now!! one minute Ive decided on a laptop and by the time ive read the next post ive decided on a PC!!
    Im thinking maybe a PC and using a USB flashdrive thingy while im around the uni site, and at home - is this a good idea?
    Or do you think a laptop is worth the extra money for being able to take it home at weekends, and to be able to join up the wireless network while in the uni library etc.
    Im really stuck now :confused:

ReputationRep:
    About 90% of the people I know at uni have laptops. That tells you something about how useful they must be compared to a desktop. I would hate to have a desktop at uni! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    simple, you save your stuff on a USB pen and take that home if you want to do work. And at Christmas and easter i just took the little base unit thing and plugged it into my home screen etc... people seem to forget that rooms have locks and security and are perfectly safe over holidays, weekends blah blah 9and you should have insurance anyway!)

lou xxx
    I guess it is just person choice. I personally prefer to have only one computer and keep everything on that rather than a computer at home and uni and swapping various files / programs between them.

I also wouldn't want to take the base uni thing back because they are too big to carry easily on the train with your other things.

I also use my laptop extensively in the library / labs / friends places so a desktop would be useless to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a laptop for convenience. So, the spec might not be as good as as desktop, but i'm only going to be writing essays and surfing the web, so its not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a desktop, but then again, you try doing 3D Design on a laptop!

ReputationRep:
    Laptop. Even though I don't plan on carrying mine around everywhere, I don't want to use up all my deskspace! With a laptop I can easily move it out of the way.

What about printers? I'm taking my own cheapo one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    What about printers? I'm taking my own cheapo one.
    When I started last year, I bought myself a HP all-in-one printer. It is a printer, scanner, and photocopier. Well worth the £100 I paid for it!

ReputationRep:
    yes. it all boils down to what you will be using it for.
    there's no point in getting a pc if all you're going to do is type your essays or research, or will have to travel a lot.
    and theres no point in getting a laptop, if you will be using sophisticated software frequently, whose upgrades require more processing. unless you are rich and can afford to change laptops frequently. especially if you plan to stay where you are.

ReputationRep:
    imho a laptop seems to have a lot of novelty value and not much else... my sis bought a laptop for uni and it takes a while to get used to the mouse, and the speakers are really tinny, i will be taking my desktop pc with a tft, along with a usb flash drive which i believe will be fine. methinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    About 90% of the people I know at uni have laptops. That tells you something about how useful they must be compared to a desktop. I would hate to have a desktop at uni! :eek:
    However I would hate to have a laptop at all!! The keyboards are crap (for example they don't have a number pad at the side unless you pay even more for it); the mouse is rubbish (unless you pay more for another mouse); the screens are smaller than desktops; hard drives are generally smaller. I use my PC mainly for typing essays, internet and audio editing.

I also personally prefer to make my own hand written notes in labs/lectures/library because then I can take them home and type them up later. Whilst this sounds like doubling the workload, its actually a really good way to help you remember the notes you made before!! Plus its a lot quicker to have a complex layout on a piece of paper than on a computer screen!!!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.