Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    Question for people already at uni: do you often take your laptop to lectures etc and to the library?
    Cos im considering maybe just buying a PC and taking a USB flashdrive to use with the uni computers when im out and about the place.
    I doubt id be moving it about that much if I have a laptop, unless its common to take them with you to lectures and stuff?
    I don't use my laptop in lectures - it seems very unnatural (though that's probably a course based thing, our lecturers rarely have more than twenty people in them).

In the library, I use them, but not for writing on. I have a whole stack of research notes which I have access too. And we have wifi in the library, so I use that to save having to go and find an OPAC terminal. (I will also be using it a lot more next year, since I'm using the Senate House Library next year, which has wifi, and lots more books than my college library).

(Original post by Princess Ana)
    Is there no reason why I can't buy a PC and a PDA, and then use the PDA to connect to the wireless network, shunt files, take notes, work on documents, whatever?
    That's a good idea. If I had some cash, I'd do that.

(Original post by RDoh)
    Able to build it myself (not possible with a laptop) so I know it will only have decent, reliable components and I will be able just fix it myself and RMA individual components rather than ring up some incompetent tech support line and end up without a computer for 4 weeks while they try to work out what is wrong.
    And that's even better. Remember, children, tech support is incompetence in a handbasket. If you can build a desktop machine yourself, do it. Shuttle and 'Mac Mini' sized machines, with TFT screens, are probably the best of both world solutions to the PC at Uni problem. Cheap, portable, easy to build.

Also, you can desktop and shuttles dual-head. My desk has yet to forgive me for this innovation, since I am now running two big 21" CRT's on there hooked up to my PC.

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice you guys

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a laptop or desktop for my first year at university. I'm going to live in a student residence about 20 minutes away from university. Taking into consideration the fact that...

1. Desktops are cheaper
    2. Desktops are (supposedly) easier to type with because its has a large separate keyboard (excellent for essays?)
    3. Desktops will stay inside my room (what if my roommates are too noisy, how am I supposed to write my essays)

4. Laptops are more expensive
    5. Laptops can be taken anywhere, maybe I can take it to the Library in case my roommates are too noisy for my liking
    6. Laptops have smaller keyboars (horrible for essay writing?)

Please help...

ReputationRep:
    Laptop.... theyre just ...... cooler :cool:

ReputationRep:
    consider how big the desk is in your room too- a desktop takes up an awful lot of space...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkward_eagle)
    consider how big the desk is in your room too- a desktop takes up an awful lot of space...
    Not if you get a TFT monitor and something like this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...l_Shuttle.html
    They work as well, use less space... But if room mates are noisy, you're still in a bit of a pickle..

Desktops easier to replace parts if anything goes wrong...

ReputationRep:
    laptop! i just bought one, packard bell, £499 from pc world, i got £25 off as i had the display one - it had only been up there two days, i also got norton virus protection with a surge protector for £28, think you only get it cheaper if you get it at the same time you get your comp, i also bought the student package software which cost about £120, i just got rid of my desktop, i hated it - i love my lappy is small and nice, easy to type with when you get you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer desktops, but if the keyboard is a big issue you can always just plug a nice keyboard into your laptop?

ReputationRep:
    Desktops. My part time job is repairing laptops, and I can tell you they aren't very reliable, and they aren't very fast. IMHO, get a desktop.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm with the whole "easier to type on a desktop" thing im inclined to disagree. I have a 15inch laptop an the keys are well spaced , v.easy to type and i find you still get the satisfaction of knowing you pressed the button (hate these namby pamby keyboards where the keys hardly press down and are so silent...typing is a nice noise!!)

ReputationRep:
    Best laptop ever:

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/venture151.htm

For the price, you wont get better.

I'm taking my desktop, but thats cause i've ploughed so much money into upgrading it, and i need it for my 3D design stuff, where a laptop just wouldnt cut it.

ReputationRep:
    Get a laptop, laptop stand and external keyboard and mouse. Best of both worlds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Best laptop ever:

I'm taking my desktop, but thats cause i've ploughed so much money into upgrading it, and i need it for my 3D design stuff, where a laptop just wouldnt cut it.
    That's a good deal. Get that one and take that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justice (OCD85))
    I need some advice you guys

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a laptop or desktop for my first year at university. I'm going to live in a student residence about 20 minutes away from university. Taking into consideration the fact that...

1. Desktops are cheaper
    2. Desktops are (supposedly) easier to type with because its has a large separate keyboard (excellent for essays?)
    3. Desktops will stay inside my room (what if my roommates are too noisy, how am I supposed to write my essays)

4. Laptops are more expensive
    5. Laptops can be taken anywhere, maybe I can take it to the Library in case my roommates are too noisy for my liking
    6. Laptops have smaller keyboars (horrible for essay writing?)

Please help...
    A desktop will be cheaper than a laptop of the same specification, although this does not mean that you can't get a good cheap laptop. If you just want a computer for uni work and light gaming then you can get some very good priced laptops. Even for high-end laptops that can run all the current games, you can get them for around £1000 (like mine ).

Also, I have never understood the 'harder to type on laptops' thing. The keys are the same size, you just don't get the numeric pad bit that is on the right of a normal keyboard. Laptop keys are slightly flatter but I personally prefer this and find it easier to type quickly.

What I am doing this year is having an additional keyboard and mouse connected to my laptop. I am being forced to do this by the stupid design of my desk but it is also an option if you want the portability of a laptop but a full size keyboard and proper mouse.

The biggest plus point for a laptop is the portability factor! Since my uni is completely wireless, I find my laptop invaluble. Whether I am in the library, the labs, a lecture theatre, or even the coffee shop, I have complete access to the internet, my lecture information and all my work. As you said, it is also useful if you find halls quite noisy (which they often are) as you can simply go work someplace else. It's also very handy for taking round to your mates place and for taking with you if you are popping home for the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipmapped)
    Desktops. My part time job is repairing laptops, and I can tell you they aren't very reliable, and they aren't very fast. IMHO, get a desktop.
    If it goes wrong in the first year then you can get it replaced/repaired for free. Most people also take extended warrenties on expensive products and/or have it covered on their insurance.

It's also worth remembering that whilst you may find repairing a desktop easy, the average person is equally buggered if either their laptop or desktop goes wrong.

As for the speed issue, it depends what you buy. If you buy a cheap laptop then it will be slow. The same can be said for desktops. If you want a fast laptop then you pay more, as with all things in life. It's like saying "cars are slow" just because you own a smartcar. Someone with a Ferrari would disagree.

ReputationRep:
    i have both, was gonna take my laptop, its a very good spec one, and i'd only used it once coz i was saving it for uni... then my desktop broke the other week and i had to send it away to get a new hard drive.... so i've been using my laptop

i get cramp in my wrists from reaching over the part where the touch pad is so trying essays is a no no unless u get an external keyboard or dont care about cramp
    and playing games... the laptop is SUPPOSED to be better than my pc! but all my games are slow and i get inpatient...

now that my pc is back im just gonna buy a £120 goodmans tft from argos and take my desktop to uni.... leaving my laptop at home for when i come back

ReputationRep:
    dremmel- don't buy that tft. Look on aria/micro direct etc and you'll get a far better tft for the same money. Argos == rip off merchants

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my gorgeous, all-singing, all-dancing slimline desktop up with me. It's not as bulky as the MESH machine I was going to opt for, and its specs are slightly higher, but it's still too big for someone to slip under their jacket and make off with when my door is left open accidentally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Best laptop ever:

Hm. For that price range, couldn't you get the 12" iBook from Apple?
    Prettier. Although slightly behind in processing speed and HD memory.
    But prettier

SPEC:

12" 1.33 GHz G4 .... £656.83
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550
    32MB DDR video memory
    40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    Built-in AirPort Extreme
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Scrolling Trackpad
    Sudden Motion Sensor

ReputationRep:
    Laptops do tend to go wrong more often than desktops, insurance is more and they are easier to nick. Who gives a **** that laptops are cooler? Noone will care.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, also if your buying a desktop (which I am ) buy a shuttle case, they are far smaller than the conventional tower case unit, also look much cooler, and make it far easier to move, if and when needed!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.