The Student Room Group

Higher History Essay help, do i need to learn more than two?

I am currently revising for my higher History exam. I do the Later Modern Britain and Russia. I was wondering if i learnt 'How Democratic was Britain by..' and the 'Labour governments welfare state' should i be fine in the exam or should i learn another essay?
Thanks
Reply 1
mizzbellXx
I am currently revising for my higher History exam. I do the Later Modern Britain and Russia. I was wondering if i learnt 'How Democratic was Britain by..' and the 'Labour governments welfare state' should i be fine in the exam or should i learn another essay?
Thanks

For the British essay, probably. Although since there's still quite a bit of time left I'd say you may as well try to squeeze another option out. Suffragettes or something.

Just to clarify though -- you know you couldn't do both of those essays in the exam, right? One British and one European, can't do two of the same.
Reply 2
yes you do because the questions are not garenteed you might only get a liberal and a woman essay i cant say anything about russia since i did germany though but lear one for every possible topic
Reply 3
Sounds a bit risky, as far as I'm aware the 'how democratic' question is maybe a 50/50 shot and I don't know about Labour, we didn't cover that. I would advise one or two more if you can to be safe.

For Russia we're doing threats to the Tsar before 1905, why the 1905 revolution failed and why the Red Army won the civil war, and our teacher has garuanteed we'll get at least one of, probably more, of these, but I don't know if you covered the same essays.
Reply 4
Definitely! I would revise several from each topic. You have no idea what questions are coming up in the final exam!
Reply 5
The steps to democracy and the labour essays both came up together last year. I'd be more tempted to learn the three others; I'd eat my hat if one of those didn't come up.
You want to learn two essays as opposed to learning the material needed and constructing an answer in the exam from that? :lolwut: Absolutely mental :rolleyes: .
Reply 7
^^ that exactly.

I'd say learn the course material. What on earth would you do if a good question didnt come up?
Reply 8
I came across this on the old tinternet.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwZ3NoaXN0b3J5c2VuaW9yc3xneDo3NmNhMjY0ODFhYzE0NGJi

it shows Labour is very risky, and growth of democracy probably come up, but you can never be so sure!
Reply 9
Look at trends in past papers then see what you should revise for but it might to work. Our teacher has given us some predictions however he has told to revise for any type of question just in case.
Reply 10
learn notes not essays.
I am learning; liberals , German unification, rise of the Nazi and I did the welfare state for my extended essay so I know that inside and out
I'm learning both types of Liberal essay as one of them is highly probable to come up, probably a growth of democ also.

For German i'm definitely learning growth of nationalism, and something else nearer the time :p:
Reply 12
YES. I stupidly only revised 2 Liberal essays and the suffragettes....and 2 Labour questions and 2 Democracy questions came up. Therefore I could not do anything and missed out 20marks. And what pissed me off even more is that I could do every other question in the other topic. I came out with a B, which is not bad i guess. I got an appeal thought. The point being...revise more than 2essays...just in case!
Reply 13
moonshine_1991
You want to learn two essays as opposed to learning the material needed and constructing an answer in the exam from that? :lolwut: Absolutely mental :rolleyes: .

This.

Don't learn essays. Learn the material inside out and practice lots of essays from past papers, no need to memorize an essay!
Reply 14
BexySweets
YES. I stupidly only revised 2 Liberal essays and the suffragettes....and 2 Labour questions and 2 Democracy questions came up. Therefore I could not do anything and missed out 20marks. And what pissed me off even more is that I could do every other question in the other topic. I came out with a B, which is not bad i guess. I got an appeal thought. The point being...revise more than 2essays...just in case!

Missed out 20 marks and still got a B!?

You must have raped the Enquiry Skills big time haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending