Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my first term at Cambridge and I'm loving it but I was wondering is anyone else got accepted at Oxbridge but rejected by other univerisities? I was rejected by Bristol but I'm actually very happy because if they had offered me a place I might have put it as my first choice rather than Cambridge. I got my Bristol rejection before the Cambridge acceptance and I was worried for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I have just finished my first term at Cambridge and I'm loving it but I was wondering is anyone else got accepted at Oxbridge but rejected by other univerisities? I was rejected by Bristol but I'm actually very happy because if they had offered me a place I might have put it as my first choice rather than Cambridge. I got my Bristol rejection before the Cambridge acceptance and I was worried for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?
    I got rejected from York, Warwick and Manchester before I got accepted at Cambridge so it looked very bleak to see all my choices rejecting me until the nice day I recived my letter from Cambridge to say I performed well at the interview and they granted me a place to read computer science for 2004.

The other uni did not even bother giving me an interview I just got a rejection from UCAS and thats it, thats why I belive in the Oxrbridge system of interviews as I clearly did well to get accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I was rejected by Bristol but I'm actually very happy because if they had offered me a place I might have put it as my first choice rather than Cambridge.
    Why might you have put Bristol above Cambridge? How can you be sure that you wouldn't have been happier at Bristol if you had done? (just curious)

ReputationRep:
    yeh i got PPE offer at oxford, but rejected from bath for economics/international development. oh well

ReputationRep:
    i got a geography offer from Oxford, but got a straight rejection from Bristol

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from Balliol to read PPE and, on the other hand, i got rejected from Durham (St. Hilds n Bedes)for the same course.

ReputationRep:
    That's rather funny, so now it's Oxford taking Durham rejects?

You should make a photocopy of your Oxford acceptance letter and send it to the Durham admissions people.

ReputationRep:
    yeh im thinking i should do that to bristol and hatfield college, durham (who moved me to marys) lol

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who was accepted to Cambridge for medicine, and two hours after getting his letter was rejected from Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    I was accepted by Oxford for PPE, but rejected by Durham (Chad's) and Manchester. I was tempted to email Durham and ask how their admission system works (as apparently I was accepted by the department...) but I already had an offer from York so I decided against it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i have to say that I findit very tempting to photocopy my oxford letter and send it to Durham , writing on it " DiE You LooZeRz" , or " so you rejected me huh?" ... or even perhaps , in a more serious tone ..:

Dear sir,

Thank you for seeing my potential and realizing I'm too good for your respective institute.

Yours Sincerely,
    DaKewLe$T

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected by durham for natural sciences on the basis of chemistry being a very popular part of the course and not being good enough at it (despite getting 99% at AS chemistry)! and after 2 chemistry based interviews at cambridge i've got an offer. but i didnt really want 2 go 2 durham neway so its quite amusing getting rejected by them maybe I should write them a nasty letter.

ReputationRep:
    So far Iv been pooled by cambridge, rejected by nottingham and rejected by warwick and heard nowt from the other unis..... so so far no offers! I don't think the ucas system 100% works- I have the highest english exam results in the history of my school, i do volunteer work, sport and had a strong p.s and gd references, but im obviously not good enough for university lol. I think its the whole "she's obviously an oxbridge candidate" thing again

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from Oxford, but was rejected from UCL

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was made an offer by Durham, but I was rejected by Cambridge....This year I applied again and I was rejected by Durham, but made an offer by Cambridge. How weird is that?? I think that universities like Bristol, Durham or UCL have very hard choices to make because they are often "plan B" Universities, the ones that many people apply to in case hey don't get into oxbridge. So these universities don't only base their decisions on who is the best, but who will actually come. If they only took the best students lots of them would go to Oxbridge and they would loose half of their prospective students! Therefore I would say that if you are a really high quality student with excellent grades, applying to Oxbridge, then don't be sad if a non-Oxbridge uni rejects you. I would even dare saying that it means that you are chances of getting into Oxbridge are higher! Many people I knew who went to Cambridge were rejected from Warwick and Durham. My friend who is at Cambridge right now told me about a girl who had 5 As at A Level and was rejected from all universities except for Cambridge!!

ReputationRep:
    KCL didn't realise I'd applied to Oxford and when I put them as insurance they rang up to ask why. They then tried to persuade me that their philosophy department is better than Oxford's and changed the status of my offer to unconditional in an attempt to get me to change my mind. Weird....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    poor KCL....very sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomek J.)
    poor KCL....very sad
    Why poor KCL??? I was well within my rights to apply there and they should have figured out that I was applying to Oxford as my form was in way before the Oct 15th deadline.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    no, I know. I just sympathise with the universities that lose so many good applicants to Oxbridge...it makes quite a desperate impression if you have to convince somebody that you are better than Oxford! But of course it was also their fault...and you have every right to go where you please.

ReputationRep:
    Rejected by Bristol for English, also English/Drama but accepted by Christ's Cambridge for English! Also got offer from Warwick for English and Theatre Studies which i accepted as insurance. Got the grades for
    Christ's (had to get distinction at aea English which worried me) and going this year!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.