Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I know someone who was accepted to Cambridge for medicine, and two hours after getting his letter was rejected from Newcastle.
    I know someone who was rejected by every university he applied to, except Cambridge (for veterninary medicine)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redcat)
    I know someone who was rejected by every university he applied to, except Cambridge (for veterninary medicine)
    veterninary medicine is slightly different though because it is impossible to get in anywhere!

and also, oxbridge isnt the best for all couses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I have just finished my first term at Cambridge and I'm loving it but I was wondering is anyone else got accepted at Oxbridge but rejected by other univerisities? I was rejected by Bristol but I'm actually very happy because if they had offered me a place I might have put it as my first choice rather than Cambridge. I got my Bristol rejection before the Cambridge acceptance and I was worried for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?
    sometimes other unis work out ur applying to oxbridge ( ie if u apply before the 15th oct...have good grades etc) and they reject u coz they think ull get an offer from oxbridge and reject them!

ReputationRep:
    yup, rejected form nottingham for medicine,

ReputationRep:
    I applied to do English, and was rejected from Warwick, which surprised me. Then Durham 'circulated' me from University College to St Mary's, by which time my confidence would've fit comfortably in a teaspoon. Then I was accepted at Clare. Color me (and everyone in my immediate vicinity, who had been bearing patiently with my whining for about a month) astonished, and very happy.
    The theory of universities not wanting to take the best students because they assume they'll be snapped up by Oxbridge is comforting in a way, although kind of frightening as well - it seems like the sort of thing that could easily mess up a strong candidate's future undeservedly. In my own case, I think some places might have been put off by my lack of rounded-ness - I didn't talk about sports and Leadership Activities at all in my personal statement. Possibly Cambridge doesn't mind that so much.

ReputationRep:
    hmm. i am the other way round. been pooled at cambridge and not expecting to get in as i haven't heard anything yet. but accepted at durham, warwick, nottingham, edinburgh and sussex (obviously they don't think i'm cambridge material either!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    I was accepted by Oxford for PPE, but rejected by Durham (Chad's) and Manchester. I was tempted to email Durham and ask how their admission system works (as apparently I was accepted by the department...) but I already had an offer from York so I decided against it.
    A guy I know was accepted by Cambridge and rejected by Durham, and as with you, he was told the department accepted him but rejected by the Durham college. When he tried to find out how that worked, he just got the usual 'line' about 'we are so oversubscribed.' Wonder if they worked out he was likely to get accepted by Cambridge and decided not to bother ... but he did get offers from all his other unis, which are actually higher in league tables than Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by covered farm wa)
    hmm. i am the other way round. been pooled at cambridge and not expecting to get in as i haven't heard anything yet. but accepted at durham, warwick, nottingham, edinburgh and sussex (obviously they don't think i'm cambridge material either!)
    Don't say that yet! You've still got hope in the pool And I'm hoping for you.. so you don't give up. But yeh, hehe.. in another thread you posted about the unis that have accepted you - LUCKY so even if you don't make it through the pool, you've got so much choice!!! That's wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I know someone who was accepted to Cambridge for medicine, and two hours after getting his letter was rejected from Newcastle.
    Wish they'd been as quick about it with me! I was accepted to Cambridge, then had to wait 3 months before I got my rejection from Newcastle (already had offers from Nottingham and Southampton) so I could send in my decision slip. In the end, when I realised their second round of interviews had gone and I'd heard nothing, I rang them up to say (nicely, of course) "I know I've been rejected, so can you please just tell me officially so I can get the rest of my application sorted?"

Then in the summer they sent me a letter saying they would have places for clearing after results, so would I like to come for an interview to have priority for a clearing place. At this point I had the delightful pleasure of e-mailing them to tell them that I had been accepted at Cambridge, so no, I wouldn't be coming...

ReputationRep:
    For some strange reason, Bristol rejected me just 3 weeks after I sent in my application, although their website says they consider every application for at least a month.

Now, I've got an offer from Oxford (PPE)

Haven't heard of the rest.

ReputationRep:
    i got rejected from nottingham, but recieved an offer from oxford.

ReputationRep:
    YEAH!
    I got a rejection letter from Bristol on Tuesday, very depressed, followed by an acceptance to Emmanuel in Cambridge on Wednesday! I must say that my Cam interview went better than bristol thinking about it. Its for Vet Med too so i wasnt expecting offers from everywhere.

Just got rejected from edinburgh without even an interview, apparently they're very public school and im from a state comprehensive, dont know if that had anything to do with it. who knows!

I know theyre not supposed to see, but i recon bristol can tell if youve applied to oxbrideg somehow, even whether youve been offered a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    Just got rejected from edinburgh without even an interview, apparently they're very public school and im from a state comprehensive, dont know if that had anything to do with it.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just got rejected from edinburgh without even an interview, apparently they're very public school and im from a state comprehensive, dont know if that had anything to do with it. who knows!
    I doubt it -- if there is some anti-state school bias in the applications system it would be far far more subtle than simply rejecting everyone from a state school without interview!

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from Dur/UCL/Soton/Bath/Leicr, and a rejection from cambridge.

That's life

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to your offer Suzy!

ReputationRep:
    ['Congratulations to your offer Suzy!']

Thanks! Makes me feel like all the hard works been worth it. Just need to keep going for another few months. What are you wanting to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaviars)
    I have offers from Dur/UCL/Soton/Bath/Leicr, and a rejection from cambridge.

That's life
    What course did you apply to? Congrats btw.. all VERY great unis

ReputationRep:
    ['Congratulations to your offer Suzy!']

Thanks! Makes me feel like all the hard works been worth it. Just need to keep going for another few months. What are you wanting to do?
    I will study SPS at Clare College. I know what you mean with the hard work paying off...this was my 2nd application to cam! Congratulations again, Emmanuel is a great college...see you this October!

ReputationRep:
    I applied Physics Four Years, i'm in a bit of a dillemma, UCL or Durham?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2005
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.