This discussion is closed.
F. Poste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was accepted to Oxford for English but rejected from Warwick to do English and American Lit. I was gutted- I thought I'd end up there in the end, didn't think I'd have a chance for Oxford.. heheheh. For once I'm happy to be wrong.
Atli
Report 16 years ago
I got in to Oxford for PPE, but was rejected by LSE for Pol. and Int'l Studies... But LSE was probably annoyed at being a 'second-choice-like' uni in my reckoning.
But now, with the blind UCAS forms, these odd rejections should be less common...

A.
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
Clare is nice, my friend applied there for medicine but got polled, shes going to Selwyn now.

See you then!
rajeeb
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
I have just finished my first term at Cambridge and I'm loving it but I was wondering is anyone else got accepted at Oxbridge but rejected by other univerisities? I was rejected by Bristol but I'm actually very happy because if they had offered me a place I might have put it as my first choice rather than Cambridge. I got my Bristol rejection before the Cambridge acceptance and I was worried for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?
exactly same happened to me - rejected in Nov from Bristol, but got into Oxford and LSE. My careers teacher at school says that Bristol have a habit of "double guessing" the Oxbridge applicants!
Sister Hel
Report 16 years ago
I was rejected from Warwick and am now at Cambridge. It really irritated me at the time actually that I didn't get all offers. I'm sooo happy now though, love this place.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Atli)
I got in to Oxford for PPE, but was rejected by LSE for Pol. and Int'l Studies... But LSE was probably annoyed at being a 'second-choice-like' uni in my reckoning.
But now, with the blind UCAS forms, these odd rejections should be less common...

A.

Actually, LSE reject quite a few people that are accepted at Oxbridge. Also, many LSE students have places at Oxbridge but end up going to the LSE. This is the case even at undergraduate level, however at postgraduate level many students have Oxbridge as an insurance behind certain first rate research departments at LSE, i.e. Economics, International Relaitons...
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Actually, LSE reject quite a few people that are accepted at Oxbridge. Also, many LSE students have places at Oxbridge but end up going to the LSE. This is the case even at undergraduate level, however at postgraduate level many students have Oxbridge as an insurance behind certain first rate research departments at LSE, i.e. Economics, International Relaitons...
you don't by any chance go to LSE, do you J.S.? :eek:
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
you don't by any chance go to LSE, do you J.S.? :eek:

Nope, well, not anymore
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Since when did LSE have Politics and International Studies as a dual honours?

That's to Atli...
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theone)
I know someone who was accepted to Cambridge for medicine, and two hours after getting his letter was rejected from Newcastle.
I was accepted at cambridge, and rejected by nottingham Sheffield, and edinburgh for medicine. But this was back in the day of open applications (all places could see where you were applying)
J
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did you do a straight Bsc (or BEcon) in Economics at LSE then J.S?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Especially considering the fact that LSE don't interview...
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by xaviars)
I applied Physics Four Years, i'm in a bit of a dillemma, UCL or Durham?
Durham.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I was accepted at cambridge, and rejected by nottingham Sheffield, and edinburgh for medicine. But this was back in the day of open applications (all places could see where you were applying)
J
Woah that is scary stuff!!! But congrats
quinnbrakes
Report 16 years ago
Of all you folk rejected from Bristol how many went to private schools?
rajeeb
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by quinnbrakes)
i didn't go to a private school - i go to a state grammar.
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I went to a state school as well so I think that positive discrimination isn't really what it's been made out to be. Anyone else have an opinion re:Britsol?
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to a state school as well so I think that positive discrimination isn't really what it's been made out to be. Anyone else have an opinion re:Britsol?
I do think they're prejudiced against Oxbridge applicants. I know loads of people who got into Oxford but were rejected from Bristol.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
GemGems
Report 16 years ago
I have just finished my first term at Cambridge and I'm loving it but I was wondering is anyone else got accepted at Oxbridge but rejected by other univerisities? I was rejected by Bristol but I'm actually very happy because if they had offered me a place I might have put it as my first choice rather than Cambridge. I got my Bristol rejection before the Cambridge acceptance and I was worried for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?
Im at oxford studying history and like you are loving it, but i got rejected outright from both bristol and durham
GemGems
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by quinnbrakes)
i just went to local high school and still got rejected!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (40)
13.56%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.58%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (102)
34.58%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.83%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
22.03%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.42%

Watched Threads