Lactose free milk still affects me? Watch

This discussion is closed.
lowrier
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I thought i might be lactose intolerant because after i drink regular milk i would soon need to gooo! and my stomach would rumble and feel uncomfortable. So i changed to lactose free milk and i still have similar effects after drinking lactofree milk?? I really dont know whats messing my stomach up. I dont eat chocolate at all near enough stopped and only want milk for my breakfast and i started having protein shakes (contains little lactose amounts, but im fine after having that).
Advertisement
immortal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You could just be allergic to milk. Go to the docs, keep a food diary and cut out milk-based food/drink entirely.
blinkbelle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You should see your GP. It could be a dairy allergy or it could be IBS
Advertisement
lowrier
Rep:
?
Would I have to give samples if i went to the doctors though :/ I really wouldnt want to..
blinkbelle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lowrier)
Would I have to give samples if i went to the doctors though :/ I really wouldnt want to..
Samples? As in blood and urine? Probably... why wouldn't you want to? That's a little immature.. you'd prefer to have this problem continue rather than giving a small sample to find out what's wrong?
Advertisement
lowrier
Rep:
?
No I mean poo samples :/ because thats what the milks affecting
blinkbelle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No I mean poo samples :/ because thats what the milks affecting
I'm not sure..

From the BBC website:
Food intolerance tests

Lactose/sucrose intolerance

Lactose intolerance results from a deficiency of lactase, an enzyme in the intestine that digests the sugar found in cow's milk (lactose). Sucrose intolerance occurs when children drink excessive amounts of sweetened fruit juices, which overwhelms their sucrose digesting enzymes.

Both can be diagnosed by a hydrogen breath test or by testing for 'reducing sugars' in a (liquid) stool sample.
Advertisement
yoshmo
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Could be a milk protein allergy, my little brother had it. If you're lucky it goes away. If you're older than 18 then or/and this has just developed well your chances are slim. I'm not a doctor but seriously get it checked out, you won't believe in how many products milk is contained. It's such a bummer and it might be something completely different, so get it checked out.
krisblade
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought i might be lactose intolerant because after i drink regular milk i would soon need to gooo! and my stomach would rumble and feel uncomfortable. So i changed to lactose free milk and i still have similar effects after drinking lactofree milk?? I really dont know whats messing my stomach up. I dont eat chocolate at all near enough stopped and only want milk for my breakfast and i started having protein shakes (contains little lactose amounts, but im fine after having that).
If its still affecting you it just means youre not lactose intolerant, which is when your body cannot breakdown the lactose in milk. In lactose free milk this is removed so your body doesn't have a problem. If you're still having symptoms its not the lactose in the milk itself causing it. Another problem common with milk is milk allergy which a food allergy to a protein in the milk itself. You could test this by trying soy milk, which should not cause the same reaction as this protein is not present.
Advertisement
lowrier
Rep:
?
(Original post by krisblade)
If its still affecting you it just means youre not lactose intolerant, which is when your body cannot breakdown the lactose in milk. In lactose free milk this is removed so your body doesn't have a problem. If you're still having symptoms its not the lactose in the milk itself causing it. Another problem common with milk is milk allergy which a food allergy to a protein in the milk itself. You could test this by trying soy milk, which should not cause the same reaction as this protein is not present.
Thanks I might try getting soy milk. I want to try all possible solutions first before going to the doctors. I did go a few years ago when I thought I may have been allergic to certain foods or milk but the doctor just told me to carry on drinking it, and it might be my diet thats wrong. But now my diets great it has to be the milk!
krisblade
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks I might try getting soy milk. I want to try all possible solutions first before going to the doctors. I did go a few years ago when I thought I may have been allergic to certain foods or milk but the doctor just told me to carry on drinking it, and it might be my diet thats wrong. But now my diets great it has to be the milk!
My advice would be to keep a food diary, its a bit of pain to remember, but basically record all your food intake and then note down when you suffer cramping or diarrhea. If you do it for a couple of weeks, normally your GP can look at it and use it to diagnose you easily if its something obvious like a milk allergy. Obviously if you don't want to go to your GP, it can be very helpful for you to see whats causing it, and make sure there is a definate correlation between milk intake and your symptoms.
Advertisement
kr00
Report 9 years ago
I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, I randomly couldn't drink milk. I also switched to lacto-free which didn't help. I went to the doctors and they did a blood test for food allergies which came back clear. So i stopped drinking milk for a couple of weeks, then I tried skimmed milk, for some reason I thought it might help as it is more watery! I started on small amounts and then started having more, it seems to be OK now, so I'm thinking maybe it was a bit of IBS, even though it only happened with milk. Are you stressed at the moment for any reason cos that can cause IBS.
lowrier
Rep:
?
(Original post by kr00)
I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, I randomly couldn't drink milk. I also switched to lacto-free which didn't help. I went to the doctors and they did a blood test for food allergies which came back clear. So i stopped drinking milk for a couple of weeks, then I tried skimmed milk, for some reason I thought it might help as it is more watery! I started on small amounts and then started having more, it seems to be OK now, so I'm thinking maybe it was a bit of IBS, even though it only happened with milk. Are you stressed at the moment for any reason cos that can cause IBS.
Well I probably am stressed but I had bad experiences with my stomach at high school which has kind of still stayed in my mind and I cannot go to college without going to the toilet..:s I would constantly have bad stomachs and that has sort of still stayed with me in the same mind set, but now I am a lot better as I have put my problem down to milk.

Am I right in thinking that if I am allergic to cows milk would goats milk suit me? I had it a few years ago but my diet was full of chocolate then which obviously contains cows milk so It made no change to me at the time.
Advertisement
kr00
Report 9 years ago
Maybe, the fact you are stressing that you may have a stomach problem at college, is causing you to actually have these problems. The stress may be causing the IBS, or as you have put it down to milk, maybe you get nervous after drinking it that something might happen, which results in you having a funny stomach...like just before an exam..just a thought!

There's no harm in trying goats milk, I tried soya and it was disgusting!
lowrier
Rep:
?
I tried the goats milk today and didn't have any symptoms that cows milk usually gives me but I'm going to have to give it a few weeks to test it out. I think the problem is related to milk though because even though it stresses me out the fact that I HAVE to go every morning to the toilet otherwise I worry.. I'm not as bad if I don't have milk for breakfast. when I stopped milk altogether a few months ago for quite a while I wasn't so bad; still not great because some of it probably was nervous which played around with my stomach. I just seem to have a lot more symptoms after I drink milk.
kr00
Report 9 years ago
Ok, keep going with the goats milk, you can go and have a blood test for milk allergies if you want, but it won't show lactose intolerance. I hope it gets better for you anyhow!
ranbow99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, try cutting out wheat! I had the same problem as you a year ago, and I tried cutting out everything with milk in for a week but I still had the same horrible feelings

Then I tried cutting out wheat and gluten in my diet, and after 2 days all the feelings went away. Before I cut it out I had horrible feelings in my stomach everyday and got headaches a lot too. Now I don't eat wheat and I feel so much better! I can actually have a day where I don't feel ill
You can get lots of wheat free products too, some are really nice!

It may be something totally different, but you never know. I thought I was lactose intolerent but turns out it was the gluten that was making me ill...good luck
Advertisement
lowrier
Rep:
?
Ok so the goats milk didn't work I'm still not great... still having my funny stomachs. I think it has to be milk the, When I eat a lot of chocolate say like an easter egg I'm terrible a few days after.. :/ Ill have to go to the doctors soon. So they can find out if I'm allergic to cows milk but not if I'm lactose intolerant?
notmyrealname
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its a good idea to go to the doctors, tell them everything youve tried, and your symptoms- tell them all the detail even if you dont want to because it will help the diagnosis! If the doctor is not sure, they may refer you to a dietitian, who may be more likely to be able to identify any specific problem food(s) or ingredients in your diet. They may suggest you try exclusion diets of certain foods to find out which food/ingredient it is.
But. Doctors first!
ranbow99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As I said before, it might be wheat, just try cutting it out before you go to the doctors, as they will probably say to try cutting out either wheat or lactose for a few days. That is what they did with me, so try before you go to the doctors.

It may be anything, so its worth a try cutting out different foods and finding out the problem.

Also, there is something called a milk allergy which is different from lactose intolorent. But this makes the person feel very ill straight after they drink milk...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (134)
18.64%
Labour (306)
42.56%
Liberal Democrats (143)
19.89%
Green Party (41)
5.7%
Brexit Party (21)
2.92%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.28%
SNP (9)
1.25%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.83%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.14%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.14%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)