The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Can't find this book anywhere!!! (Ryu Murakami's War Begins Beyond the Sea)

Spent all day trying in vain to get my hands on a copy of Ryu Murakami's War Begins Beyond the Sea, a book I read several years ago and haven't been able to forget since.
Well, apparently there is no english translation.
Nice.
Now I'm not joking, you can't find bloody ANYTHING on the book. Even Jstor mentions it rather briefly, and I cannot believe that whilst we publish celebrity autobiographies like pancakes, this little masterpiece has gone by unnoticed.
If anyone knows anything about any underground translations of this 1977 novel, give me a shout and I'll love you forever.
I feel like i might have to translate it myself in the summer, from russian into english... but I don't want to remove it even further from the original!!! Maybe I can contact the writer and beg him to get it translated?? Ugh I really want to make a film based on it (with my canary, of course) but how the hell can I do that with no effing script!!!!

Apparently Ecstacy hasn't been translated either... what is wrong with the world??

Love, peace, empathy
Reply 1
Hi,
I've found a copy of a French translation of the book, totally randomly, by a street book seller in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire.
After reading the book, I've looked it up on the internet and the only link I found was your message on this forum.
So i felt like writing.

Gil

Latest

Trending

Trending