Turn on thread page Beta

Can you drink to much water? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't quite sure wether (sp) this went in H&R or GD so decided on GD! Can you drink too much water?? I know the reccomended ammount is like 8 glasses a day but I drink loads of it, and my mum even said to me i can't keep drinking the amount i do, i think maybe i go over the top ...... But not because im overly health concious just becuase thats really all i drink (don't drink tea coffee, coke etc) haha im just wierd i guess. But anyway can you drink too much water??

ReputationRep:
    hmm i dont think tha drinking a high amount of water over a long period does you any damage in the long term - th only time it can damage you is when you drink a [B]ridiculous[B] amount of water which saturates your brain cells, which subsequently burst... but that isn't likely to happen to you

ReputationRep:
    Drinking too much all at once can actually make you seriously ill, some people have died from doing this. Just make sure you drink regular amounts at spaced intervals and dont overdo it.

ReputationRep:
    We asked our biology lecturer this question - she didn't know! lol so we asked the lab technition and she said yes you can drink TOO much water. It interfears with the osmosis in your body and also the salt uptake which is important for nerve transmition and other important stuff!

8 Glasses (2 litres i think) is enough and yes you have to drink them at regular intervals. But dont drink too much! Drinking excessive amounts won't help you more than drinking 8 glasses.

Save water bath together

ReputationRep:
    lol, maybe i should cut down just a little bit ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolutional)
    We asked our biology lecturer this question - she didn't know! lol so we asked the lab technition and she said yes you can drink TOO much water.

Save water bath together
    lol i didnt miss the extra o off in my sentance at the end of my post i remembered!
    does the reccomended 2 litres mean your daily intake of drinks, so coffee, tea, orange juice etc.. or just your water intake??

ReputationRep:
    Yes it includes other drinks as these are mainly water anyway. I *think* it also includes the water in foods, which explains how I routinely survive on 4-5 drinks a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdm708)
    Yes it includes other drinks as these are mainly water anyway. I *think* it also includes the water in foods, which explains how I routinely survive on 4-5 drinks a day.
    woah! if that does include everything then I seriously need to cut down :s

ReputationRep:
    someone on lsd drank lots and lots of water and died - possibly from drowning but i can't remember exactly

well apparently anyway, that may just be some anti-drug scare story

i doubt you're drinking enough to damage your health though, the body can lose water fairly easily i think

ReputationRep:
    I dont think drinking a lot of water is too great for your body, i read in the paper about a women who drank 6 litres or something and then her body became dependent on it and without it she got headaches. I normally have around 2 litres of water a day i think, is that about right?

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it, you can drown internally from drinking too much water. Your body is hardly going to be able to drink 200 gallons of water in 1 hour is it?

ReputationRep:
    i propose a toast!

to the seas and oceans, and other places of much water!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can drink to much water, but not in the way you're talking about. In a fraternity hazing ritual at my university, a student died after being forced to drink hotsauce and then large amounts of water. Seems like he drank several gallons in under an hour. Suffered a sodium inbalance as well as water in his lungs. So, in short, you're fine. Don't drink four gallons in an hour.
    Read about it
    -Danny

Note, this particular organization was not sanctioned by the University and in no way represents what typically goes on at an American University.

ReputationRep:
    yes. yes you can. It's called drowning.

on a more serious note: you can definitely do some damage to yourself by drinking to much water. It's an illness, which I can't remember at the moment. But my aunt did it to herself and had to go to the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loztherockstar)
    I dont think drinking a lot of water is too great for your body, i read in the paper about a women who drank 6 litres or something and then her body became dependent on it and without it she got headaches. I normally have around 2 litres of water a day i think, is that about right?
    :laugh: your body is always dependent on water!

ReputationRep:
    i definatly don't drink gallons and gallons so all should be good, i spose i should just try and lower the amounts i drink like bit by bit.

ReputationRep:
    In the 2000 list of FBI most interesting murders, a mafia member killed a waiter after spilling a drink over him by forcing him to drink 8 litres of coca-cola. All true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    In the 2000 list of FBI most interesting murders, a mafia member killed a waiter after spilling a drink over him by forcing him to drink 8 litres of coca-cola. All true.
    seriously?? wow!

ReputationRep:
    Remember guys though, not drinking enough water can eventually lead to kidney stones which I can assure you is the second most painful condition when they pass through......well you know where.

ReputationRep:
    Too much water over a short period will cause your kidneys to shut down because of the huge load it has been faced with. you will thus die as your blood cannot be cleaned of urea.

This is what caused death when one takes ecstacy tablets. The thirst centre in the brain is severely over stimualted hence why those who take it at night clubs drink pints and pints of water. They dont die from ecstacy, they die from kidney failure.

vince

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.