The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I drank 4 pints in under a couple of minutes once for a dare, needless to say I felt really bad afterwards and couldn't even walk! Don't try it.
Reply 21
It can happen to marathon runners where they drink too much fluid over a short space of time however I cant for the life of me remember what the condition is called.
Reply 22
okay well i dont drink THAT much water, so atleast i know im not gunna die :smile:
Reply 23
yes its possible but dont worry about it.. Ive drunk 10 litres in a day and been fine, I think its serious when you are sweating lots and drink loads in a short space of time which dilutes salt in your body.
Reply 24
just make sure you don't drown!

:wink:

lot of water is good for you really. :smile:
mik1w
yes its possible but dont worry about it.. Ive drunk 10 litres in a day and been fine, I think its serious when you are sweating lots and drink loads in a short space of time which dilutes salt in your body.

now i know what the salts do but what does diluting it do?
Reply 26
the condition is called Water Intoxication which caused sodium dilution. This is known as hyponatremia.
vinny221
the condition is called Water Intoxication which caused sodium dilution. This is known as hyponatremia.

and what does that do?
Reply 30
The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time.

Yeh, so probably not drinking too much then...
yep probably not
vinny221
Too much water over a short period will cause your kidneys to shut down because of the huge load it has been faced with. you will thus die as your blood cannot be cleaned of urea.

This is what caused death when one takes ecstacy tablets. The thirst centre in the brain is severely over stimualted hence why those who take it at night clubs drink pints and pints of water. They dont die from ecstacy, they die from kidney failure.

vince

all wrong dude.
ecstasy can inappropriately trigger the kidneys to concentrate your urine and so reabsorb most water. Plus you are drinking like mad cos no doubt in a hot club. hence you don't get rid of any water.
Your blood becomes hyposmotic, meaning that the fluid is forced out of the blood and into tissues. and unfortunately it accumulates around the brain, the pressure of which confuses then kills you.

Its nought to do with urea, nor the kidneys failing.
Reply 33
dont drink too much hot water though,ur bladder will burst and u will burn ur feet
vinny221
Too much water over a short period will cause your kidneys to shut down because of the huge load it has been faced with. you will thus die as your blood cannot be cleaned of urea.

This is what caused death when one takes ecstacy tablets. The thirst centre in the brain is severely over stimualted hence why those who take it at night clubs drink pints and pints of water. They dont die from ecstacy, they die from kidney failure.

vince

that happened to someone i know at a party, when he overdosed he collapsed and i had to keep getting him water. he told me that the water stopped his brain swelling? :confused:
Any water that your body doesnt need is lost as urine. If you drink a galon more than you need thats a gallon of water to wee. Id imagine most of the damage is thus done to the bladder.
Reply 36
wellp as they say sodium levels in ure body drop when you drink too much water
according to my old science teacher when i was in year 7, yes. But he was trying to scare us :p: he said that the cells in your body will be filled up with so much of the water content that they'll burst. Dunno if thats true or not :p:
Reply 38
Aside from the fact of having to go to the toilet way too often, yeah it's bad to drink too much water for the aforementioned reasons... also it's possible to get addicted to water :redface:!
Reply 39
you can drink quite a lot but don't go over the top because my sister used to drink loads and she got really washed out and anaemic looking - i think drinking lots maybe washed vits and minerals out before they get absorbed? not sure.

Anyway i know very rarely people have died from drinking too much but it is soo rare and meant to be almost impossible to do i think, i read up on it once coz i was worried too but i cant remember too much about it - do a search on the net and it'll come up with some info.

Anyway, another thing is as your brain is mainly water it swells when u drink and shrinks when you dehydrate, so best to keep a happy medium if possible.

(by the way, i'm not certain of the validity of the above advice!)

Latest

Trending

Trending