Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how come there are so many extremists nowadays?
    and im not just talking about religious extremists.

is it due to globalisation?

is it because there is so much opposition.
    there never used to be so many muslim extremists, there never used to be so many racist people. why is this happening?

discuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)

there never used to be so many muslim extremists, there never used to be so many racist people. why is this happening?

discuss
    Extremists always existed and in teh past were probably even more extreme than now. It is just that in comparison to our civilized and rather soft natures they seem stranger and more excessive.

You simply cannot say that the number of racist people has increased. If someone had asked our grandparents 60 years ago what they thought of black people, the answer would show you that racism is practically non-existent in the modern Western world.

Also the different cultures, such as that of radical Islam, are able to come to the West and directly affect our lives. People don't seem to care quite so much when the extremist ideas are kept somewhere far away.

ReputationRep:

discuss
    The rise in extremism is always blown way out of proportion by the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Extremists always existed and in teh past were probably even more extreme than now. It is just that in comparison to our civilized and rather soft natures they seem stranger and more excessive.

You simply cannot say that the number of racist people has increased. If someone had asked our grandparents 60 years ago what they thought of black people, the answer would show you that racism is practically non-existent in the modern Western world.

Also the different cultures, such as that of radical Islam, are able to come to the West and directly affect our lives. People don't seem to care quite so much when the extremist ideas are kept somewhere far away.
    could it be that people are turning more and more to religion or to their group i.e. green peace?

i was in jordan a couple of weeks ago and i went to a town where my grandma used to live, she used to tel me stories of how she used to wear mini skirts and walk around in the street etc and it was seen as a normal thing to do.
    when i went there the first thing i realised is that most women were covered and that i was the odd one out.

and its true, there are more and more women who are covering up.

plus groups such as the BNP never used to exist.... why are they forming?

ReputationRep:
    could it be that people are turning more and more to religion or to their group i.e. green peace?
    Religion has a far lesser influence on people's lives today, in most of the world. Green peace is nothing compared to the Nazis or say.. the Spanish Inquisition.

i was in jordan a couple of weeks ago and i went to a town where my grandma used to live, she used to tel me stories of how she used to wear mini skirts and walk around in the street etc and it was seen as a normal thing to do.
    when i went there the first thing i realised is that most women were covered and that i was the odd one out.
    and its true, there are more and more women who are covering up.
    True, the Middle East is a lot more religious these days. This is because the countries' populations decided they wanted that sort of thing after the British gave them independence. But this is only the Middle East.
    plus groups such as the BNP never used to exist.... why are they forming?
    The NAZIs were fairly prominent in Britain before WW2... plus all the establishment parties were a lot less moderate.

I think it is important to define what extremism is because it is a very relative thing. Perhaps the rest of the world remained as extreme as before, but we (the West) have become moremoderate...

ReputationRep:
    There have always been extremists, and you must remember that one persons 'terrorist' is another persons freedom fighter. Whether right or wrong, they have more balls than the average person as they fight for what they believe in rather than watching on the sidelines like most of us.

ReputationRep:
    There have always been extremists.

I wouldn't really say there are more extremists today.

Opposition to what?

discuss
    Islamist extremists are more prominent today (IMO) because of the foreign policy actions of Western nations.

And people have and always will be racist.

ReputationRep:

They are certainly more noticeable because of globalisation: whether there actually are more extremists world-wide is another matter.
    Perhaps, because people can encounter- via the internet- people who disagree with them in a way they did before and so know they have opponents and supporters.

discuss
    There are probably more muslim extremists in countries where muslims are a minority [It's worth remembering that in the eyes of many people even "moderate" muslims have pretty extreme views- stoning people to death at every opportunity] because they can more easily imagine themselves as part of the worldwide ummah. On the other hand, muslim doubters in mainly muslim countries know very well that there are millions of people who shre their disbelief. As for racism- certainly the belief in European and specifically aryan "racial superiority", take a lookat any writer of a hundred years ago. Even the most liberal or radical people assumed that "we" were intellectually superior to everyone else. They might, the more tolerant allowed, equal us in a fewthousand years under our wise tutelage.

ReputationRep:
    I think there were always this many extremists. I think the media just likes to give them a lot of attention - sensationalism, extremism is more interesting, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Consider the possibility of the man having a hand in blowing the threat of terrorism out of proportion, so that he can get us to move towards **** like ID cards and compulsory hourly cavity searches

ReputationRep:
    'Extremism' has existed for centuries, just look at what happened in the days of the Stuart House.

ReputationRep:
    There have always been a lot of extremists. Its just that society has moved on so fast from say 50 years ago that many people whos views would be regarded as mainstream in 1955 are now regarded as extremist and racist. Winston Churchill would probably be thought of as a racist now, but what he said then was more or less in tune with the rest of the country.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.