Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    What do you mean by that? I have yet to hear about a single American starving to death. The problem with the poor in America is that they're obese, not that they're starving.
    Lol, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4183086.stm

He destroyed Venezuela's long-term economic prospects for the sake of immediate popularity. That makes him corrupt in my opinion.
    alot of people didnt vote in the TSR parliment for you new tax thingummy which you say will inc long term economic prospects. does thatmake us corrupt?

what if he thinks what he is doing is best for venezualans prosperity?

ReputationRep:
    If Robertson was muslim and the leader in question was of a western power he would have been sent to jail for life for inciting terrorism......the usual hypcorisy...

(Original post by sayed_samed)
    Lol, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4183086.stm
    a USDA survey indicated that in 2003, 12.6 million households, approximately 13 million children, experienced hunger and increased incidence of malnutritionhat you can be obese and yet malnourished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    If Robertson was muslim and the leader in question was of a western power he would have been sent to jail for life for inciting terrorism......the usual hypcorisy...
    lmao.ur sig is funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    alot of people didnt vote in the TSR parliment for you new tax thingummy which you say will inc long term economic prospects. does thatmake us corrupt?

what if he thinks what he is doing is best for venezualans prosperity?
    People often support the status quo, especially if it seems to be working. Chavez, on the other hand, destroyed the status quo, which was working quite well, just so he can get votes from the poor. Of course his main bad point is not that he's corrupt (the same can be said of just about every leader on his continent), but that he's a dictator. He supresses dissent, harrasses opponents, fires state workers who disagree with me, attempt to stack the courts, violate the Constitution at will, and show repeated contempt for democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    a USDA survey indicated that in 2003, 12.6 million households, approximately 13 million children, experienced hunger and increased incidence of malnutritionhat you can be obese and yet malnourished.
    Yeah i know, eating too much high in fat foods with a low nutritional content e.g. vitamin A, iron, B complexes etc. I know, did it in AS biology - Human health and disease, lol, the last question was on the incidence of HIV/AIDS in male homosexuals in the west; damn I laughed hard.

ReputationRep:
    If this was so, the so-called moderate leader of the biggest Muslim organization in your country would be in jail right now.
    Who are you talking about exactly? and how does it compare with inciting the murder of a foreign leader or terrorism?

As for pat here...why dont you advocate his imprisonment or punishment in this case? or is it just for certain people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    lmao.ur sig is funny.
    Indeed...Chris Rock is a genius ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Who are you talking about exactly? and how does it compare with inciting the murder of a foreign leader or terrorism?

As for pat here...why dont you advocate his imprisonment or punishment in this case? or is it just for certain people...
    It is not illegal to call for someone's death in the US.

Iqbal Sacranie supported the fatwah against Rushdie.

People often support the status quo, especially if it seems to be working. Chavez, on the other hand, destroyed the status quo, which was working quite well, just so he can get votes from the poor. Of course his main bad point is not that he's corrupt (the same can be said of just about every leader on his continent), but that he's a dictator. He supresses dissent, harrasses opponents, fires state workers who disagree with me, attempt to stack the courts, violate the Constitution at will, and show repeated contempt for democracy.
    -thestatus qou was working for whom exactly? nealr 90% of the countries wealth was owned by less than 5% of its population when he came to power. THe status qou certainly wasn't working for that other 85%. or do you dislike th fact that he 'rocked the boat' as it were?
    THe dictator part i question. he was democratically elected twice, and even won a referendum in 2004 - for which am sure observers reported some violence/intimidation used on both sides, but not enough to invalidate the result.
    the opponents he harrasses are those of the congress - who are the same reargaurd of 5% that always looked after themselves. heck they even declared that the coup against him wasn't illegal and aquitted those responsible.

Do i agree with most his policiies, and some of his hardline actions (like preventing media coverage of the oil strike). No.
    Do i think it gives america or anyone else the right to destabilise or threaten it/him? Hell no.

Don't confuse hunger and malnutrition. I'd believe that figure for the latter, but not for the former. Anyone who doesn't have food is able to get it for free from various government services and private charities. New York City spends over $15,000 a year per homeless person for example.
    Malnourished is absically what is meant by below the breadline. Hell anyone can buy enough to stave hunger, but that doesn't mean they can buy enough to stave disease, and malnourishment.

ReputationRep:
    He destroyed Venezuela's long-term economic prospects for the sake of immediate popularity. That makes him corrupt in my opinion.
    Does that not make him a politician?

ReputationRep:
    if assuming the information in the article was accurate - and how is it possible to remove bias? - then it sounds a sad day for us when our closest ally is effectively inciting terrorism. the fact chavez is democratically elected - and re elected suggests the majority of people are happy with him as does their determination to start civil war in the event of his assassination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lirael Abhorsen)
    if assuming the information in the article was accurate - and how is it possible to remove bias? - then it sounds a sad day for us when our closest ally is effectively inciting terrorism. the fact chavez is democratically elected - and re elected suggests the majority of people are happy with him as does their determination to start civil war in the event of his assassination.
    many presidents were democratically elected, but they are just corrupted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    -thestatus qou was working for whom exactly? nealr 90% of the countries wealth was owned by less than 5% of its population when he came to power. THe status qou certainly wasn't working for that other 85%. or do you dislike th fact that he 'rocked the boat' as it were?
    THe dictator part i question. he was democratically elected twice, and even won a referendum in 2004 - for which am sure observers reported some violence/intimidation used on both sides, but not enough to invalidate the result.
    the opponents he harrasses are those of the congress - who are the same reargaurd of 5% that always looked after themselves. heck they even declared that the coup against him wasn't illegal and aquitted those responsible.

Do i agree with most his policiies, and some of his hardline actions (like preventing media coverage of the oil strike). No.
    Do i think it gives america or anyone else the right to destabilise or threaten it/him? Hell no.
    You need to look up the definition of dictator. Having the support of the majority does not preclude one from being one. You didn't address my point about him harrassing the opposition, firing state workers who opposed him (i.e. signed the petition for a referendum), and blatantly violated the Constitution on numerous occassions.

Are you suggesting that it's ok to harrass the rich, because well, they're rich?

Anyone who constantly insults the US, makes alliances with its enemies, and threatens to harm its interests at every opportunity, deserves everything he gets. To suggest that the US shouldn't act in its national interest merely because Chavez was elected is ludicrous. How dare the Allies fight a war against an elected Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    Bias means starting the article with an unproven allegation being masqueraded as fact.
    I agreethough I never thought we'd ever agree :eek: There may well be evidence supporting the allegation but it was rather unprofessional not to include it in the article.

ReputationRep:
    The status quo was working very well for the rich minority. The majority were living in a state of desperate poverty, it's good to see this change BUT beware those who support Chavez too enthusiastically. Stalin brought about many reforms that benefited the poor but this doesnt change the fact that he was an evil dictator who had millions killed. It is good to see elections taking place, hopefully these will continue on a regular basis

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... am I the only one who thought this thread was about chavs?

ReputationRep:
    Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez says US President George W Bush will be to blame if any thing happens to him.
    He was speaking after US TV evangelist Pat Robertson called for his assassination in comments the US State Department said were "inappropriate".

Mr Robertson later apologised saying he was frustrated at Mr Chavez's constant accusations against Washington.

A senior representative of America's evangelical Christians says he is trying to meet Mr Chavez to apologise.

Mr Chavez said on Friday that Pat Robertson "was expressing the wishes of the US elite".

"If anything happens to me then the man responsible will be George W Bush. He will be the assassin," the Venezuelan president said at a public event. "This is pure terrorism."

Missionaries' safety

Earlier, the Rev Ted Haggard, president of the National Association of Evangelicals, said he was seeking a meeting with Mr Chavez to distance US Christians from the remarks.

He is in Mexico, where he is meeting a friend of Mr Chavez, and if all goes well he will travel on to Caracas for an encounter that could embarrass the White House.

Mr Haggard says he wants to secure assurances from Mr Chavez about the safety of American evangelical missionaries working in Venezuela.

The Venezuelan government temporarily suspended permits for foreign missionaries on Friday so regulations for preachers in the country could be tightened.

"We were already working on this, but these declarations have made us speed things up," said chief of the Justice Ministry's religious affairs unit, Carlos Gonzalez.

Political rivalry

On Monday, Pat Robertson told viewers of his influential TV show, the 700 Club, that the US should act on Mr Chavez's recurrent complaints that the US was allegedly trying to assassinate him.

"I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," he said.

It comes amid tense relations between the two countries.

Washington regards the Venezuelan leader as a dangerous left-winger with ambitions to dominate South America, says the BBC Justin Webb in Caracas.

Mr Chavez - a friend of Cuban leader Fidel Castro - equally dislikes Mr Bush, and regularly suggests to his people that the Bush administration provides a military threat to Venezuela.

The two nations have recently broken off co-operation on combating illegal drugs, though America still buys Venezuelan oil. The nation is the world's fifth-largest producer.
    Source

And someone's going to claim Chavez isn't a dictator? Attacking the rights of all missionaries just to get back at Robertson? How perfectly democratic. :rolleyes:

It's a shame that leftists aren't willing to condemn Chavez merely because he shares their ideology, even if he's behaving like a typical dictator. This in turn encourages Chavez to behave even more like a dictator, which the left continues to ignore. And then the left can dare claim that it doesn't support dictatorship.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.