Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Britain has one of the worst levels for percentage of its popln living below the poverty line. so much for New Labour....
    And since 1997 Labour have put poverty at the forefront with its aim to cut child poverty by a million. I don't know why you bothered to make your comment when it was the Tory government who created the problem.

(Original post by Howard)
    Basic economics. Minimum wages do not create jobs. There can be any number of reasons that we have record levels of employment (though I'll take your word for it) Minimum wages is not one of them.
    I ain't no economics expert so I just look at the facts which say that unemployment is at a record low! And with things like the new deal; another thing the Tories opposed, no wonder so many people have great opportunities under Labour.

ReputationRep:
    I ain't no economics expert so I just look at the facts which say that unemployment is at a record low![/QUOTE]

As I said before, you may be right. Unemployment may be at a record low. But, you were wrong to attribute this to a minimum wage policy. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    And since 1997 Labour have put poverty at the forefront with its aim to cut child poverty by a million. I don't know why you bothered to make your comment when it was the Tory government who created the problem.

I ain't no economics expert so I just look at the facts which say that unemployment is at a record low!
    Labour have done a very good job of cutting poverty. Most families including mine recieve a lot more extra money when Labour came in. We barely got anything with the Torys in government. And it is very good that every family is entitled to some extra money

ReputationRep:
    I ain't no economics expert so I just look at the facts which say that unemployment is at a record low!
    As I said before, you may be right. Unemployment may be at a record low. But, you were wrong to attribute this to a minimum wage policy. .[/QUOTE]

I didn't say the min wage was a cause, merely pointing out that the min wage didn't cause mass unemployment like the Tories thought it would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Labour have done a very good job of cutting poverty. Most families including mine recieve a lot more extra money when Labour came in. We barely got anything with the Torys in government. And it is very good that every family is entitled to some extra money
    Very true. Lately a lot of good work has been forgotten by most people since the war. Labour prior to that were doing very well with lots of great policies. I hope people would take this into consideration before voting next year . We don't want the other lot back in causing trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Entitled? What "entitles" your family to "extra money"? You are talking about the redistribution of wealth which, however you slice it, means confiscating one persons money and giving it to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    because the New Deal created it not the Tories...facts dear boy.

ReputationRep:
    Entitled? What "entitles" your family to "extra money"? You are talking about the redistribution of wealth which, however you slice it, means confiscating one persons money and giving it to someone else.
    People are entitled to extra money if they live on a low income. I see it as everyone contributing to each and others well being .

ReputationRep:
    'Taking' it from wealthier families, and giving it to those who need it, e.g. benefits.

ReputationRep:
    because the New Deal created it not the Tories...facts dear boy.
    The New Deal created the poverty? Before 1997 there was no New Deal but a huge problem with poverty. We now have the New Deal, record employment, and less people in poverty.

ReputationRep:
    Very true. Lately a lot of good work has been forgotten by most people since the war. Labour prior to that were doing very well with lots of great policies. I hope people would take this into consideration before voting next year . We don't want the other lot back in causing trouble.
    They have done a very good job The Conservatives are not as superior as people make out. They have failed so many times. It would be great if the Liberal Democrats could be given a chance.

I can't vote next year unless the voting age goes down to 16. If I could I don't know who I'd vote.

ReputationRep:
    I'm posative that whatever my parents paid in taxes they wouldn't have got back in benefits. Well the good Labour government "entitles" my family to extra money as I'm sure it does yours.

ReputationRep:
    The New Deal created the poverty? Before 1997 there was no New Deal but a huge problem with poverty. We now have the New Deal, record employment, and less people in poverty.
    since 1997, Britain has become the nation with the highest percentage of its population below the poverty level in Europe and the developed world.

ReputationRep:
    They have done a very good job The Conservatives are not as superior as people make out. They have failed so many times. It would be great if the Liberal Democrats could be given a chance.

I can't vote next year unless the voting age goes down to 16. If I could I don't know who I'd vote.
    Thank you! I totally agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    I was wondering whether anyone agrees with me with this thought as I was reminising about the past conservative leaders........

why are they all pompous idiots....anybody who supports them could clarify this for me (if you can!)

deeply appreciated :cool:
    Well the way I see it the only reason why the Conservative party (and now Labour at times) can get away with some of their ridiculous policies is because they focus their efforts on middle class voters who (mostly) don't understand or care about discrimination or opportunities for the less fortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    Thank you! I totally agree!
    Have you been given negative rep :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Have you been given negative rep :confused:
    Weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    Weeks ago
    Oh okay, just checking you weren't given negative rep. because of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    since 1997, Britain has become the nation with the highest percentage of its population below the poverty level in Europe and the developed world.
    The number of children living in poverty has fallen by half a million since 1997; a reversal in the trend of annually increasing child poverty which started under the Tories in the 80s causing Britain to have one of the highest child poverty rates in the western world!

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, just checking you weren't given negative rep. because of this thread.
    No not this thread, but it was to do with bad mouthing the Tories!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.