The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
vienna95
so is the inflation rate,but what has it got to do with this...

Its a very good indicator of how the poorest are doing.
MurphysMoment.
Pay £3 membership fee and your in the party.

Its basically a reason to go to a piss up with a buch of right wing students in the union bar.

I can't think of anything better, being around drunk conservatives. :mad:
vienna95
but youre a communist loony...

I'm not a communist!
Nigel Evans does look like a hamster, and I think the conservative party are awful, then so do most of the people I've met.
I don't know why they don't just amalgamate with the Labour party, we know they all believe the same things, it's just the totries are trying to run away from the fact that they agree with them.

It was the Tories who passed the motion on tuition fees, and you can't delude yourself, of course the Conservative party would've introduced them if they'd stayed in power. It's just they didn't have time!
deadflower1984
I can't think of anything better, being around drunk conservatives. :mad:

Sober conservatives are worse, because they actually think they are making sense.
vienna95
the working class still hold a large key to an election. the fact that they automatically herd vote left wing, leaves the middle classes as the swing vote. it is precisely because they listen and are interested in policy that politics is aimed at them..

i love the way middle class and working class is such a massive divide for you.

Political policy will always be made so that it favours "middle england" and the needs of swing constituencies. Thus meaning whoever is in power, Labour or Tory, their policies are likely to be very similar to keep the swing voters happy, regardless of the previous political inclination of a party. Politics is about power not principles.
vienna95
it is predominantly the latter but the former may change the circumstance slightly. the point is, the big divide between the two classes is not as wide or hostile as ppl make out.

Can only agree with this...it's not that wide and it is narrowing (even though the relative wealth gap is narrowing). The socioeconomic profile of the entire country is shifting - there aren't that many jobs for working class people anymore so to stay in employment everyone is having to aim higher.

While the bottom three socio-economic groups may account for 40% of the population now, as recently as 1970 the figure was 90%.

At this rate of change, the percentage of working-class students in universities will eventually match their proportion in society as a whole

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3313687.stm
deadflower1984
Politics is about power not principles.

Its a shame that's true though. Because if people valued principles over power, then there would be few problems left in the world.
Reply 267
deadflower1984
Political policy will always be made so that it favours "middle england" and the needs of swing constituencies. Thus meaning whoever is in power, Labour or Tory, their policies are likely to be very similar to keep the swing voters happy, regardless of the previous political inclination of a party. Politics is about power not principles.

isnt that what i just said?
Reply 268
Iluvatar
Its a shame that's true though. Because if people valued principles over power, then there would be few problems left in the world.

principles of national security and defence?
principles of economics?
principles of government?

power or principles, little would change...
vienna95
principles of national security and defence?
principles of economics?
principles of government?

power or principles, little would change...

principles of equality.
principles of a utopian society.
principles of peace.

The world would be a truly different place if principles were valued over power.
vienna95
isnt that what i just said?

I don't know, there are so many posts that it's impossible to read them all!!
Reply 271
Iluvatar
principles of equality.
principles of a utopian society.
principles of peace.

The world would be a truly different place if principles were valued over power.

You sound a bit like my 7 year old niece. "If I was President there'd be no war, I'd give everyone a million dollars, and a nice house to live in and blah de blah de blah"

All very "nice" but a bit Alice in Wonderland wouldn't you agree?

Equality? What do you mean by that? Making everyone equal? Doesn't sound much like utopia to me.

And what do you mean by utopia anyway? Surely this is a highly subjective notion. I doubt if your utopia is the same as mine.

Peace? At what cost? War has been and always will be necessary.
Reply 272
Howard
You sound a bit like my 7 year old niece. "If I was President there'd be no war, I'd give everyone a million dollars, and a nice house to live in and blah de blah de blah"

All very "nice" but a bit Alice in Wonderland wouldn't you agree?

Equality? What do you mean by that? Making everyone equal? Doesn't sound much like utopia to me.

And what do you mean by utopia anyway? Surely this is a highly subjective notion. I doubt if your utopia is the same as mine.

Peace? At what cost? War has been and always will be necessary.

Lets be thankful Howard, that people like this and your 7 yr old niece are not in power and never will be.
Reply 273
vienna95
Lets be thankful Howard, that people like this and your 7 yr old niece do not run the world and never will.

Very good point Vienna.
Reply 274
There's nothing wrong with aspiring to these though.
Howard

I take it you are intelligent and quite well off by that comment.
Reply 276
happysunshine
I take it you are intelligent and quite well off by that comment.

Both. So?
Howard
Both. So?

I accept that oppinions are mainly based on the persons upbringing and the future plans of a person but I think if you were not so intelligent then you wouldn't be dismissing the idea of practising a certain amount of equality. What is wrong with sacrificing the rich only a little to help those poorer?
Reply 278
Howard
Both. So?

Seems a bit weird that you do't like the idea of equality e.g. racial, gender based etc...
pkonline
Seems a bit weird that you do't like the idea of equality e.g. racial, gender based etc...

Hmm... where has he gone :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending