Conservatives? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
sorry i agree with u, but wtf about Buill Gates.
The point I was trying to make was that excessive taxation stifles entrepeneurial spirit. Making money is what drives society. If Bill Gates thought he'd be taxed at 80% I doubt he'd have bothered!
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I do not have anything that my great (multiply by 35) grandparents have. They do not earn their money. The highest classes should suffer, when people who earn over a couple of million a year... I think that is taking this piss quite frankley. Although admittedly I have no idea what they get taxed now.
so what if they earn over a couple of million a year, thats two decent houses and two nice cars. Anyway it would be impractical because they would all move to even more tax havens and you would get even less tax. |hasn't Bill Gates given 22 billion to charity.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
The point I was trying to make was that excessive taxation stifles entrepeneurial spirit. Making money is what drives society. If Bill Gates thought he'd be taxed at 80% I doubt he'd have bothered!
true, but he wouldnt have been (would he?). MAking money does drive society but entrepeneurial spirit always finds a way or else it would not be entrepeneurial spirit.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think it's taking the piss at all.
What next, are you going to tell me Simon Fuller deserves all his money?
pkonline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
actualy private schools ask you to take the test and then ask if you can afford it. But it would be a meritocracy which is also unfair, if all the brightest kids went ot better schools than anyone else.

I agree with you, but "life isn't fair", you have to judge people on something and this is the current consensus view.

I agree with you, but it goes both ways.
Well if u were to attend an open day at a private school I think most people there are pretty well off. A private school would only have a handful of scholarships etc so not everyone clever but poor would get in. Plus what if someone ain't the best but OK but not qualify for a scholarship? But the richer OK kid can?

A lot of people at private schools are 'average'.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
so what if they earn over a couple of million a year, thats two decent houses and two nice cars. Anyway it would be impractical because they would all move to even more tax havens and you would get even less tax. |hasn't Bill Gates given 22 billion to charity.
Another good point. Bill Gates wouldn't be giving much to charity if Uncle Sam had fleeced the guy in taxes would he?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
The thing is that the brightest students do not all go to grammar schools or private schools etc. Its the wrong way round in many private schools; first they ask whether u can afford it, then whether you meet their academic requirements.

If grammar schools and private schools were soley based on interlligence then I'd guess they would have to let many of their students go !

Also why should someone who 'isn't as quick' as someone else be deprived of a good life? If intelliegence is part genetic and part environment then it ain't fair is it?

Also just cos u earn more or have an education doesn't mean you work harder.
I agree with you But I've argued this many of times and still a lot of people disagree... which i suppose is fair enough.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
so what if they earn over a couple of million a year, thats two decent houses and two nice cars.
LOL wouldn't mind that at all .
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You've stumped me there. No idea who Simon Fuller is I'm afraid.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yep, he works incredibly hard, made an ass out of himself on tv, do the winners of BB deserve their money then? He also came up with an amazing idea.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree with you But I've argued this many of times and still a lot of people disagree... which i suppose is fair enough.
Prob cos most private school kids have it thrust into their heads from day 1 that they are the cream of the country; yes maybe family earnings wise, but def not in terms of academic ability.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You've stumped me there. No idea who Simon Fuller is I'm afraid.
He owns 19 managment. Managed the Spice Girls and other major bands. He also created Pop Idol and all the other 'Idol' shows. Ignore my random knowledge about famous people.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well if u were to attend an open day at a private school I think most people there are pretty well off. A private school would only have a handful of scholarships etc so not everyone clever but poor would get in. Plus what if someone ain't the best but OK but not qualify for a scholarship? But the richer OK kid can?

A lot of people at private schools are 'average'.
i go to a private school, so i know what i am talking about. The fees are all rising, most of the older kids are ok off, but because the schools all operate a fee fixing cartel it means the younger kids tend to be posh and loaded. However, i was talking to a new junior boy today and he said that most of hte people given scholarships in his year, came from state schools and wasnt that a little unfair, especially as he didnt think he was as bright as some others. I told him not to worry, but there are also families in my school who dont go on foreign holdiays (most british people do), no ssky etc, solely in order to give their child a good eduation. And bigots resent that.

Well the richer Ok kid helps to fund the brightest poor kids scholarships. I also know some dumb kids who were given bursaries.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Prob cos most private school kids have it thrust into their heads from day 1 that they are the cream of the country; yes maybe family earnings wise, but def not in terms of academic ability.
I take it you're a fellow stater too?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Another good point. Bill Gates wouldn't be giving much to charity if Uncle Sam had fleeced the guy in taxes would he?
yep, but england doesnt fleece them, thank you thatcher, although 60% was quite high,
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He owns 19 managment. Managed the Spice Girls and other major bands. He also created Pop Idol and all the other 'Idol' shows. Ignore my random knowledge about famous people.
So, why doesn't he deserve it then? If he put together and managed one of the most popular bands of the 90's which themselves generated bazillions of $$$ should'nt he have a piece of the action?

Or is he just worth $50k a year?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That is such a bigoted view, i think it is staters who have a bad view of private schools, htey all come and mug people there and insult them as they are posh. Although posh kids do try and emulate them and steal from each other too. In what way do they have it thrust into them they are the cream of the country? Have you been there, would you know, no.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I take it you're a fellow stater too?
Nope, private school born and bred :eek: .
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So, why doesn't he deserve it then? If he put together and managed one of the most popular bands of the 90's which themselves generated bazillions of $$$ should'nt he have a piece of the action?

Or is he just worth $50k a year?
More than $50k obviously, but isn't he worth £34 million? And yet our doctors who I personally think do more for society can only earn up to £70k a year.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope, private school born and bred :eek: .
Really or are you just being sarcastic? :eek:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.88%
No (582)
72.12%

Watched Threads