The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
happysunshine
Ahh well worth it :smile: and do Labour do the same thing?

Yes, all parties do it, it gives them extra income.
Nafisa
so you propose the elite go to universities then....is that not a pompous statement? more clarification needed please

No they say the most intelligent will go to University. But obviously this will favour the elite as just look at Oxbridge 50% State and 50% from Independent School and there are only 7% (I think :confused: ) of students which go to Independent Schools.
happysunshine
You could cut the places down but the damage is already done - too many people have degrees. So you may aswell let everyone have them.

Correct however if the Tories reduce places; firstly our University funding crisis will be eased; and degrees will be able to slowly regain their respect.
Reply 43
happysunshine
No they say the most intelligent will go to University. But obviously this will favour the elite as just look at Oxbridge 50% State and 50% from Independent School and there are only 7% (I think :confused: ) of students which go to Independent Schools.

I think it's more like 12%.

Universities are meant for the academic elite! That is their purpose! No matter which school they went to. Universities are not meant for everyone! They are meant for the most academically able.
Reply 44
Lord Huntroyde
either way, I wasn't asking for names, I was wondering how many you actually knew of and could therefore form a valid opinion about.

The amount of names you can get off a website does not matter to me.

'how many can you name' suggests to me that you were asking for names, but then again i'm foolish, so maybe that's not what it means. Define valid opinion. In your opinion all your opinions are valid. However, in my opinion they are not. Please clarify.
Well why should the uneducated elite go to our Universitites? University is for educated people who go on to achieve excellence and to a lesser degree enhance civilisation through research. I don't think any unelite people can do that.
MurphysMoment.
Correct however if the Tories reduce places; firstly our University funding crisis will be eased; and degrees will be able to slowly regain their respect.

I suppose it is a good idea in theory, although whether it would work then I don't know.
Reply 47
Tinykates
'how many can you name' suggests to me that you were asking for names, but then again i'm foolish, so maybe that's not what it means. Define valid opinion. In your opinion all your opinions are valid. However, in my opinion they are not. Please clarify.

I may have said that but I certainly didn't ask you to copy them from a website.

You cannot say 'all Tory leaders are pompous' if you are only familiar with a few of them.

This isn't challenging your opinion, you are entitled to your opinion, but I am challenign how you formed that opinion if you have only heard of the last four (as many have).
Lord Huntroyde
I think it's more like 12%.

Universities are meant for the academic elite! That is their purpose! No matter which school they went to. Universities are not meant for everyone! They are meant for the most academically able.

I will accept that they are for the most intelligent which coincidentally seem to be the richest. But I don't really care as long as I get a place.
did anyone see howards statement of belief which he sent to 100,000 of the party faithful on monday?
I don't think the richest people are the most intelligent; I think they have had a better chance to develop their talents through wealth; however I also think if your truly intelligent you'll have a chance of getting to University.
Reply 51
Lord Huntroyde
I may have said that but I certainly didn't ask you to copy them from a website.

You cannot say 'all Tory leaders are pompous' if you are only familiar with a few of them.

This isn't challenging your opinion, you are entitled to your opinion, but I am challenign how you formed that opinion if you have only heard of the last four (as many have).

That's fair enough then. I do not claim to know very much about politics at all, but from what i have seen of Tory leaders led me to agree with Nafisa's comment. I enjoyed milk when i was at school though!
Speciez99
did anyone see howards statement of belief which he sent to 100,000 of the party faithful on monday?

Yes, he thinks he is God.
Speciez99

Got it on E-mail from that men of men.
Reply 54
happysunshine
Yes, he thinks he is God.

i didn't see it. what makes you say he thinks he's God?
Reply 55
happysunshine
I will accept that they are for the most intelligent which coincidentally seem to be the richest. But I don't really care as long as I get a place.

No, they are not always the richest. However you cannot rule out that there are many who are privately educated (not neccessarily rich) who are very intelligent, which one could argue is to be expected as intelligence is hereditary, as well as there being lots of very intelligent state school pupils. That is a fact.

Oxbridge is slightly over 50% state school, about 53%.

But another excellant university which would definately not be closed if some were, Manchester, has 94% from state schools. You cannot keep citing Oxbridge, it is not typical.
what did u think of his beliefs?
Tinykates
That's fair enough then. I do not claim to know very much about politics at all, but from what i have seen of Tory leaders led me to agree with Nafisa's comment. I enjoyed milk when i was at school though!

If you think that then stick with it, you obviously think that for a reason :smile: It's just it gets a little tough when you are asked for reasons and statistics.
Reply 58
happysunshine
If you think that then stick with it, you obviously think that for a reason :smile: It's just it gets a little tough when you are asked for reasons and statistics.

you sound very patronising....
Reply 59
happysunshine

thank you happysunshine.

Latest

Trending

Trending