This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
No one :rolleyes:
ok well i don't. i don't support any party, and i definately son't support the tories
woodmeister
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
You mis read what I said.
sorry, i didn't really need to quote you, was kinda continuin ur point about the misplaced criticism
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Exactly, the people who oppose the top up fees are usually the ones following the media ******** about it. Perhaps they should at least read the basic 'student/parent' guide to top up fees before they make comments.
I oppose the principle of top up fees, and am well informed on the subject. My understanding was that education should be available for everyone. I believe making students pay is wrong. I am not poor, but there is no way i'll be able to afford top up fees when i go to uni in september, therefore my parents will have to pay it instead, which I believe is wrong.

Perhaps you should refrain from seeing everything from a purely labour standpoint and take a look at the bigger picture. Top up fees are necessary at the moment because of the ridiculously vast numbers of students Blair is sending to university, many of whom should not be there in the first place.

I suggest that everyone discussing political policies on this thread should read the last 20 pages of the ultimate political discussion thread - these issues have been thrashed out till everyone's blue in the face.
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
ok well i don't. i don't support any party, and i definately son't support the tories
So you're another one who doesn't vote then :rolleyes:
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Errr, you don't have to support a party to vote.
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Errr, you don't have to support a party to vote.
In the general elections? Sorry, I've never voted before - what do you vote for? Is it an individual or a party?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm 17 so no i don't vote
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
i'm 17 so no i don't vote
Do you intend to when you're 18?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you intend to when you're 18?
yes
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am not poor, but there is no way i'll be able to afford top up fees when i go to uni in september, therefore my parents will have to pay it instead, which I believe is wrong.
But with topup fees you don't need to pay anything upfront so it shouldn't stop you from going to uni!
brasil85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The conservatives are the best look what the tories did for us when in power.
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by brasil85)
Depends who you mean by 'us'.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what did they do?
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
But with topup fees you don't need to pay anything upfront so it shouldn't stop you from going to uni!
Not to mention that they don't come in until 2006, so they won't effect anybody starting Uni next year. At the moment your parents are expected to pay your tuitions fees- very few 18 year olds can afford to pay them on their own. When top up fees come in, you'll be paying them yourself, after you graduate and are earning decent money.
brasil85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Privatisation was one of the best ideas that the conservatives brought in. The conservatives change this country and made the working man do something, she crushed the Strikes
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Privatisation was one of the best ideas that the conservatives brought in.
Like Railtrack eh?

The Tories thought that by privatising everything things would become better. The believed that the state sector was too incompetent and that by bringing in competition etc things would improve. Great eh!?!?
woodmeister
Report 16 years ago
Like Railtrack eh?

The Tories thought that by privatising everything things would become better. The believed that the state sector was too incompetent and that by bringing in competition etc things would improve. Great eh!?!?
Labour like privatisation as well, only they they dress it up as PFI schemes.
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But with topup fees you don't need to pay anything upfront
Er, yes you do. I think the whole idea of a tax on students (which is essentially what top up fees are) is totally wrong.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Er, yes you do. I think the whole idea of a tax on students (which is essentially what top up fees are) is totally wrong.
Tuition fees you have to pay up front. Top up fees you don't pay until you've graduated.
woodmeister
Report 16 years ago
So where does the money come from?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
14.12%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (47)
13.54%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (129)
37.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (35)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
19.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
5.48%

Watched Threads