Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thats strange, you have to be able to pay with accomodation with a credit card, come on?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about this... Because they say page 7 (the Student Finance Guide is my new Bible... ) that all students living in University accomodation, on or off campus, are required to pay their accomodation fees by direct debit. So, I dont know...

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of how do I pay my fees (on the warwick site):

"The University also accepts payments by cheque, bankers draft, debit and credit card, but regrets it cannot accept cash payments for reasons of student and staff security. All payments must be in GBP Sterling and if the University is charged bank fees, these must also be paid in full by you.

Full details on making payments can be found in the Student Finance Guides which will form a part of your 'Welcome to Warwick' information pack, and which are now available to download from this site (you can either click the link on the right, or see the 'Information pack' section for a full list of available guides)."

Then when turning to the welcome pack it says "all students living in University accomodation, on or off campus, are required to pay their accomodation fees by direct debit"... But perhaps a debit/credit card could by included in this? I dont know...

ReputationRep:
    Ah well.... did anyone do some research on what bank account options will be available for us non-UK students...?

Apparently, we won't meet the residence requirement to get one of those fancy student accounts. I think it's hilarious that some banks even charge you for having an account with them (IMHO, they should be grateful!!). For instance, Barclays charges £6 a month if you're balance drops below £2,000 for their "[International] Student solutions." HSBC doesn't even want to state what costs are involved in maintaining an "International Students" account with them. Natwest's website just won't stop making me confused. :confused:

Any suggestions?! Atm, I'm leaning towards HSBC, mainly because this seems so cool...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangsiuje)
    Ah well.... did anyone do some research on what bank account options will be available for us non-UK students...?

Apparently, we won't meet the residence requirement to get one of those fancy student accounts. I think it's hilarious that some banks even charge you for having an account with them (IMHO, they should be grateful!!). For instance, Barclays charges £6 a month if you're balance drops below £2,000 for their "[International] Student solutions." HSBC doesn't even want to state what costs are involved in maintaining an "International Students" account with them. Natwest's website just won't stop making me confused. :confused:

Any suggestions?! Atm, I'm leaning towards HSBC, mainly because this seems so cool...
    If you're not from the UK you dont get to choose what account you get. They have one type of account for non residents only, with no interest (crap because Im an overseas student with a huge student loan put into it). Its not a student account, and you dont get a cheque book or overdraft. You cant use your card to pay for items that are over £500. But you need to hvae this account to set up the direct debit. And if you dont pay by direct debit you have to pay an extra 2.5% (which is a lot if you're oversseas).

Go with Nat West, thei're crap, but HSBC (you have to have a branch in your home country to open wiht them, Norway doesnt) and Barclays are even worse. It took them 8 days to open and account for me (security check?). Do it one of the first days of orientation. Otherwise expect looooong ques.

and you know those gitfs they advertise with? (£55 cashback, Virgin store vouchers, student railroad card etc for opening and account with them? They're just for British students...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    If you're not from the UK you dont get to choose what account you get. They have one type of account for non residents only, with no interest (crap because Im an overseas student with a huge student loan put into it). Its not a student account, and you dont get a cheque book or overdraft. You cant use your card to pay for items that are over £500. But you need to hvae this account to set up the direct debit. And if you dont pay by direct debit you have to pay an extra 2.5% (which is a lot if you're oversseas).

Go with Nat West, thei're crap, but HSBC (you have to have a branch in your home country to open wiht them, Norway doesnt) and Barclays are even worse. It took them 8 days to open and account for me (security check?). Do it one of the first days of orientation. Otherwise expect looooong ques.

and you know those gitfs they advertise with? (£55 cashback, Virgin store vouchers, student railroad card etc for opening and account with them? They're just for British students...

WHAT?!?! This is Bull**** :eek: . Can't we pay by PayPal or anything? I'm thinking of not opening a British Bank account, is that possible? Or I was thinking about opening one where I only put accom/uni fees but u are telling me they charge u if u drop below a specific amount? What kind of crap is this?

ReputationRep:
    how are you people bringing money over? Another ttransfer from home to your account in UK?

And does that mean we don't have to pay anything until 27 October 2005 by direct debit?

What's that 7th October date for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    how are you people bringing money over? Another ttransfer from home to your account in UK?

And does that mean we don't have to pay anything until 27 October 2005 by direct debit?

What's that 7th October date for?
    Thats the final date during which the direct debit instruction can be set up/ So the problem is that we dont know whether our bank accounts will open until that time cuz after the 7th supposedly we cant set up a direct debit instruction which is required to pay for accom.

ReputationRep:
    Just like I thought, its aright to pay the accomodation fees by credit card as well if youre an international student (you can set up your direct debit later on and start paying term 2 with it)... Just phoned the finance office.

Oh yeah (Duff man is thrusting in the direction of the problem)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Szwemby)
    Thats the final date during which the direct debit instruction can be set up/ So the problem is that we dont know whether our bank accounts will open until that time cuz after the 7th supposedly we cant set up a direct debit instruction which is required to pay for accom.

Right, First thing, don't worry too much about the dates.....We had similar problems in our first week as it takes up to 10 days to open an account and over 2 weeks to get a debit card (+ a month for a credit card). The university is understanding, it knows that students will take some time to open their accounts and it will not add a surcharge if things do not work out in time.
    I suggest opting to pay by direct debit as it is hassle free and you get a letter stating when the money will be take out of the account 2 weeks in advance so that you have plenty of time to arrange the money.

Accomodation can ALSO be payed by direct debit (i did last year)
    Regarding which bank to open an account with- that depends on what you're looking for. I chose Natwest as they agreed to give me a credit card (low spending limit though - 250 a month!) and a debit card.....On top of which I have the option of opening a savings account for any money I might want to gain interest on. No bank will give you overdraft as an international student, or cheques for that matter. HSBC has a lot of people applying for accounts, but as stated by people earlier, they prefer if u already bank with them in your home country, although they provide better service (is what i have heard). Barclays is crap coz they require you to have a minimum amount at all times! (i think it was 1,000 last year or some ridiculously high sum anyway) but they give you a better card (visa electron)
    thts all I can think of as of now....
    it gets much easier when you come on campus, there's loads of people to help you.

ReputationRep:
    This is SO confusing!!!
    I re-read that Student Finance booklet so many times and I still don't have a clue on how you go about paying your fees if you're not a UK student.
    I just hope they'll clear some things up during Orientation. They better!

ReputationRep:
    I am not from Sweden but from India.I attended the pre-departure briefing by University of Warwick-India representative here in Mumbai.Many students asked questions about the mode of payment of the tuition and accommodation fees.The best method is the direct debit method where th university informs you about the date and amount before withdrawing it-around 10 days in advance.But the direct debit takes sometime and you get a months time after it is being set up.But since the first installment of tuition fees is to be paid by 26th September,05 you need to carry a bankers' draft with you when you arrive at Warwick.Once the first installment is paid by draft,you can continue paying remaining installments via direct debit.

ReputationRep:
    Which bank is everyone using for Direct Debit. It only has to be a british bank right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merc)
    Just like I thought, its aright to pay the accomodation fees by credit card as well if youre an international student (you can set up your direct debit later on and start paying term 2 with it)... Just phoned the finance office.

Oh yeah (Duff man is thrusting in the direction of the problem)!
    yup, but then they charge you 2.5% extra, i.e. £217. Imagine what you could buy for that! And, if like me you get your student loan paid out twice per year instead of all at once you cant really afford to pay the whole tuition fee at once.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i called the finance office again, any instalments are given a 2.5% surcharge. But I plan on paying my tuition fees in full though (still a loan). But I hope Ill get around to setting up a direct debit account asap, (im not coming to international orientation!)

ReputationRep:
    But Linda, where does it say about this 2.5% charge? If you pay your accomodation fees by direct debit, termwise... are you still charged 2.5%? I dont get it, cause that would be an instalment or?

ReputationRep:
    Yo!

Jag fattar inte hur vi ska överföra våra pengar från ett svenskt konto till engelskt- eller överför man exempelvis från sitt nuvarande konto/kredit kort till det nya kontot/kortet?
    Har Handelsbanken och dom är sjukt ohjälpsamma nämligen.
    Hur är läget annars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merc)
    But Linda, where does it say about this 2.5% charge? If you pay your accomodation fees by direct debit, termwise... are you still charged 2.5%? I dont get it, cause that would be an instalment or?
    if you pay by any other method than direct debit, then you have to pay the extra 2.5%. So my adwise is, pay by direct debit (most liekly you will have time to set it up, once you have gooten an account you can put up the direct debit via myInsite, takes a minute or two).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carolinedrew)
    Yo!

Jag fattar inte hur vi ska överföra våra pengar från ett svenskt konto till engelskt- eller överför man exempelvis från sitt nuvarande konto/kredit kort till det nya kontot/kortet?
    Har Handelsbanken och dom är sjukt ohjälpsamma nämligen.
    Hur är läget annars?
    I think the best way is to get an online account with Handelsbanken and do it online. I used to be with Handelsbanken as well, but I switched to Focus (Norwegian one).

ReputationRep:
    Jag skulle vara glad att bara göra en överföring direkt till deras konto, men får man göra det Linda? Är det inte bara direct debit som gäller?

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.