Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Aaah! Det här förbaskade djävla bankhelvetet tar kål på mig. :eek:

Vad jag förstår kan man betala tuition fees med en överföring (s k utlandsbetalning) från sin bank. Då behöver man bara swift och iban, som är neatly angivna i student finance guide. So long so good. (Gjorde lite research: Skandiabanken tar ingen "avgift", men ger dålig växelkurs. Handelsbanken tar 50 kr för utlandsbetalning (EU), men ger bra växelkurs. Totalt blev det 130 kr billigare på Handelsbanken. :p: ) Försök inte med "överföring" till utlandet. "Utlandsbetalning" är tydligen vad som gäller.

Concerning accomodation fees, I still don't have a clue. From what I understand, they have to be paid by direct debit set up with a UK bank account. (Or was it possible to pay for the first term in some other way, Merc?!) From what I've read, it's almost impossible to set up a UK bank account before actually getting there, unless you can do it with a branch of the bank in your home country. (HSBC i Sverige vänder sig uteslutande till företag, så att ni vet. Har redan försökt. :p: ) Following, it seems like the only thing to do is to apply for a bank account during orientation (we'll need our term time address anyway) and keep our fingers crossed that it will be all set up and ready by Oct 7 (deadline for direct debit form).

Or... any other suggestions? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Set up a UK bank account before you arrive, and do a telephonic transfer/wire/swift/chap (they're all the same thing just with a different name) its a direct bank transfer from one to another. You'll need your IBAN and account details from your UK bank.

Using cheques between accounts will prove expensive; use a main highstreet account and they'll give you business rate conversion. Though you'll be charged at each end for the service its far cheaper than cheques and getting it changed down the buro-de-change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangsiuje)
    Aaah! Det här förbaskade djävla bankhelvetet tar kål på mig. :eek:

Vad jag förstår kan man betala tuition fees med en överföring (s k utlandsbetalning) från sin bank. Då behöver man bara swift och iban, som är neatly angivna i student finance guide. So long so good. (Gjorde lite research: Skandiabanken tar ingen "avgift", men ger dålig växelkurs. Handelsbanken tar 50 kr för utlandsbetalning (EU), men ger bra växelkurs. Totalt blev det 130 kr billigare på Handelsbanken. :p: ) Försök inte med "överföring" till utlandet. "Utlandsbetalning" är tydligen vad som gäller.

Concerning accomodation fees, I still don't have a clue. From what I understand, they have to be paid by direct debit set up with a UK bank account. (Or was it possible to pay for the first term in some other way, Merc?!) From what I've read, it's almost impossible to set up a UK bank account before actually getting there, unless you can do it with a branch of the bank in your home country. (HSBC i Sverige vänder sig uteslutande till företag, så att ni vet. Har redan försökt. :p: ) Following, it seems like the only thing to do is to apply for a bank account during orientation (we'll need our term time address anyway) and keep our fingers crossed that it will be all set up and ready by Oct 7 (deadline for direct debit form).

Or... any other suggestions? :rolleyes:
    yes, you can pay with a credit card (even your swedish one), you dont have to pay by direct debit. HOWEVER if you dont pay by direct debit you will be charged an extra 2.5%, which in your case, seeing that you are swedish, isnt very much anyways. DONT PANIC. It will be ok. You'll get you account within two weeks. And if you go to the international office well in advance of the deadline and tell them it will be difficult for you to meet the deadline they are usually able to help somehow. Usually by giving advice but if there are special circumstances they some times extend your deadline ( tho I think this means you have to pay by bank transfer or credit card instead of direct debit ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    ... DONT PANIC. ...
    That's what I wanted to hear.

Things usually work out sooner or later anyway. Now, I'm just waiting for my student loan. :p:

ReputationRep:
    hope this helps...im from Tanzania and have managed to send accomodation and tuition fees directly from a local bank here to the university account...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chiungulu)
    hope this helps...im from Tanzania and have managed to send accomodation and tuition fees directly from a local bank here to the university account...
    yeah but I think this is the only time u are allowed to... Won't be able to do that for the second dose.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, question: aren't we supposed to have set up our direct debit whats-it-called in order to be able to enrol? And aren't we supposed to enrol by the 30th? And we can only set up the direct debit thingy with a British bank... But if we're only arriving for Orientation on the 20th, how the hell are we supposed to set up the direct debit and enrol on time?
    Panic... Ah!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aure)
    Guys, question: aren't we supposed to have set up our direct debit whats-it-called in order to be able to enrol? And aren't we supposed to enrol by the 30th? And we can only set up the direct debit thingy with a British bank... But if we're only arriving for Orientation on the 20th, how the hell are we supposed to set up the direct debit and enrol on time?
    Panic... Ah!!!
    If we have to set up the direct debit before we enroll I certainly missed out something while doing me homework. :eek:

Dun worry. There will be a few of us in the same situation. Maybe the only thing we can do now is to prepare ourselves for some queuing at the bank during orientation week.

ReputationRep:
    what about me, arriving on the saturday (not going to int. orientation)! What about me?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merc)
    what about me, arriving on the saturday (not going to int. orientation)! What about me?!
    Du verkar vara en redig karl. Du klarar dig nog. :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't believe you need to set up your direct debits before you enrol - when I enrolled the first time I had to enrol *first* then was asked to set up a direct debit. When I re-enrolled last year, I re-enrolled then confirmed my direct debit. I'd double check that if I were you...
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangsiuje)
    Du verkar vara en redig karl. Du klarar dig nog. :p:
    aaa, jag kan dansa också.

p.s. jag har gått igenom sånt här när jag pluggade i australien, som timbuktu säger, det löser sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chiungulu)
    I did the same but i'm yet to receive a confirmation from the univ. Its been more than a week since I made the wire transfer no reply as of now.Have you received a confirmation from the univ?

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.