Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 15, and in all my life I can honestly say I have only been totally pissed 5 times, two of them my mum didnt know about, and three my mum did know about. The thing is the problem lies with the parents, my mum doesnt have a problem if I want to get drunk, but not if I do it in the street and make a show of myself. Round by mine you see 12 - 16 year olds walking round with bottles of Lambrini - which is ***** wine BTW - and there screaming and basically making a show of themselves, but if your parents were a little more lenient and let you have a little drink when you were younger, then it wouldnt be too bad, plus if your parents are alkies themselves then it is even worse - but these girls of 14 - 15 asking for people to buy their ale, it makes me think what there life is like for them to have to act like slappers at that age.

ReputationRep:
    i couldn't be bothered to go in the shop and get it for them. I would buy it for my bro and his mates though. Street drinking, fake ID's... it all has to be be done. You can't start going to bars on your 18th bday, you gotta be weened into it.

ReputationRep:
    14 year olds shouldn't be drinking.
    Those that are, have a serious problem. Either that or awful parenting. In that case I feel sorry for them. There's so many little slappers and scally prats around nowadays thinking they are adults when they are really little more than children.
    Grow up! - go and play in the playground or something. Maybe buy a new Fisher Price kitchen playset, I dunno, but 14 year olds shouldnt be drinkin end of!

Edit: If there was a fiver in it for me, however, then it'd be a different story.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't buy for them.

ReputationRep:
    15+ then yeah I would. I know I'm not 18 but I'd get served anywhere being 6ft 4 and built like a shithouse.. I once got asked by these lads who looked about 11, told them to go home to their mummies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
    i couldn't be bothered to go in the shop and get it for them. I would buy it for my bro and his mates though. Street drinking, fake ID's... it all has to be be done. You can't start going to bars on your 18th bday, you gotta be weened into it.
    Quite Correct. Hong Kong? Really?

ReputationRep:
    i've just moved back to the UK for uni.

ReputationRep:
    well I started drinking at a really young age too... and me and my mates did get into some really quite sticky situations - I'm only 25 but the things teenagers are doing these days are NOTHING compared to what we got up to. I know it was only 10 years or so ago, but we didn't have knives and guns and mobile phone video violence, any of that stuff.

When I was drinking at a young age, we never asked anyone we didnt know to get it for us - we always had the bottle (no pun inteded)(or maybe looked older generally) to go into the shop ourselves and buy it.

now i'm working with young people as part of my degree and drugs and alcohol is a really big problem for some of them. I mean, I have met 2 alcoholics who are under eighteen, thats not right is it? Surely we should enjoy our childhood before we give ourselves these problems in adulthood - we have to enjoy life at some stage!!!

some really interesting views i'm seeing here, keep em coming!

ReputationRep:
    oh, and Im not saying I dont approve of drinkign before 18 - i think its fine, just as long in moderation. And I wouldnt buy for anyone under 18 I didnt know and trust that they would act 'sensibly'!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afireinside©)
    14 year olds shouldn't be drinking.
    Those that are, have a serious problem. Either that or awful parenting. In that case I feel sorry for them. There's so many little slappers and scally prats around nowadays thinking they are adults when they are really little more than children.
    Grow up! - go and play in the playground or something. Maybe buy a new Fisher Price kitchen playset, I dunno, but 14 year olds shouldnt be drinkin end of!

Edit: If there was a fiver in it for me, however, then it'd be a different story.
    play in the play ground at 14 :rolleyes:

My friends were dealing dope before they were 14, because if you are caught before you don't get a criminal record in the federal state I grew up in. Alcohol is not a big deal, most 14 year old still have to go home early and so they don't get very pissed so that their parents don't find out. Only if they are at a friend's place and overnighting there and their parents are on holidays or something, but really... when I was 14 we were more responsible with alcohol than we are now some times actually.
    You obviously just don't remember what it was like to be 14 and wanting to be all grown up and rebellious and all that.

ReputationRep:
    the thing is Britain is a nation of p155-heads. I don't know how it started or how to stop it from getting worse, but something needs to be done. Go 20 odd miles across the channel for a night out and you aren't going to get punched in the taxi rank, have someone puking on your shoes in a club or see three bouncers smacking the living shyte out of someone. the whole relationship between british ppl and alcohol sux.

ReputationRep:
    we always managed to get it ourselves from 15+!

i personally wouldn't buy it for them, have often thought about takin their money and running tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
    the thing is Britain is a nation of p155-heads. I don't know how it started or how to stop it from getting worse, but something needs to be done. Go 20 odd miles across the chanel for a night out and you aren't going to get punched in the taxi rank, have someone puking on your shoes in a club or a see three bouncers smacking the living ***** out of someone. the whole relationship between british ppl and alcohol sux.
    That is very true. Brits often just get totally wasted, where I grew up everything was much more in moderation. I don't know what the difference is. I don't think that all the UK parents are bad, that would be a stupid thing to say. Nor can I believe that it is all down the the law being 18, instead of a very lenient 16. Not sure though. I mean here things are getting a hell of a lot tougher on alcohol. It seems they are cracking down on alcohol in general all over. In the US the legal drinking age has been raised to 21 almost everywhere and here ID checks are increasing loads.
    We had curfews at night, no one obayed them, but they are now introducing them in the UK - won't that make staying out late even 'cooler'?
    Plus, young people need something to do. We had a club run by the schools in an old air port hanger for 16+. We got in if we were 12 when I was that age, all you needed was a fake school ID, which are made out of paper. But now you need a state ID and an independant security firm checks the IDs.
    Naturally the youths are not in the club now, but sit in the street and drink their vodka there - way to go! (being sarcastic)
    You've got to provide them with entertainment to keep them off the streets, make them think they are doing something cool. We spent hours getting ready for that club, went there, bought a coke and a small wine/coke mix and danced and were picked up early by parents. Now the kids are getting into loads of trouble cause they have nothing to do and are bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kard)
    Although I wouldn't expect the majority of users of this website to comprehend, as they are heading straight for the Daily Mail demographic and all have an ethos of; 'SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE IS HAVING FUN, AND IT MUST BE STOPPED NOW'.
    Heh heh. Right on. Though if you want to truly do a Daily Mail parody, it would have to be talk about house prices, asylum seekers and moral eschatology.

I have bought alcohol for under age people (spent about £65 on booze by proxy the other day). I wouldn't do it for just some chav outside a shop, but for someone I know who's underage, or if they wanted it for a party (such as in this particular instance), then, yes, I would.

I probably wouldn't buy an underage friend cigarettes, though. Not because it's bad for them, but because cigarettes just stink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drawmeamonkey)
    we always managed to get it ourselves from 15+!

i personally wouldn't buy it for them, have often thought about takin their money and running tho
    Ha i keep saying that top myself next time someone asks me.

Tbh im not bothered by underage drinkign but when they are all little scrouts who haev one can and thnk thers uperman and go and start fights, criminal damage etc although tbh 18 year oldsarnt much better.

ReputationRep:
    My friends were dealing dope before they were 14,
    Um.. I know its none of my business but, you need new friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdm708)
    Yeah, because pot is baaad. Miles Davis and Carl Sagan - both pothead losers.

ReputationRep:
    *never heard of either of those two people*

I can understand trying it, thats quickly becoming the norm for teens. But dealing it? At 14?

ReputationRep:
    they don't deal anymore, stopped when they were 14 cause they didn't want a criminal record :rolleyes:
    Some I know still do, but they are like 'people I know and get along with but wouldn't go so far as calling them friends'.
    Anyway, people who deal aren't 'bad people' who make crap friends. They are still human you know :p:

ReputationRep:
    *never heard of either of those two people*

I can understand trying it, thats quickly becoming the norm for teens. But dealing it? At 14?
    My grammar school was the number one place where all the dope was dealt. Not anymore, now it's another school on the other side of town.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.