Voting twice in two different locations - is this illegal? Watch

This discussion is closed.
hobo06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by King Pieb)
It's a secret ballot, so that wont happen.
(Original post by nempozpag)
They check off your name, so they know if you voted even though they have no idea who you voted for. Presumably they could easily find out if you double voted therefore.
When I went in, I gave them my polling card, they checked off my name, next to it was a number corresponding to my name, that number was then written next to the identification number of the ballot paper I was given. So it is very easy for them to check who you voted for.
Ebbson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They will know. Your name is crossed off of a list when you arrive to vote.
I shot a bear :(
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Golden Maverick)
To clarify - it is illegal, electoral fraud, to vote twice in the general election. It is legal to vote in two different local elections if you live in two places.

In practice, they will not find out, but a kitten might die.
Well I wouldn't want a kitten's blood on my hands..
michael321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by I shot a bear :()
You're not wrong, I am despicable to suggest something like this. But I'm also a bit scared at the outcome of this election
Weren't we all. As it turned out we were right to be. However, that's not to say that we should be so presumptuous as to suggest our view counts for more than someone else's. As Churchill or someone said (in as many words) - "Democracy sucks, but it's the best system we have".
Thomassss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by King Pieb)
It's a secret ballot, so that wont happen.
no there is no secret Ballot
tehjonny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by I shot a bear :()
You're not wrong, I am despicable to suggest something like this. But I'm also a bit scared at the outcome of this election
It scares me at just how dishonest your average labourite is.
a_man_1066
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course it's illegal (not to mention undemocratic). But since elections are run by old ladies at the local council, it's very unlikely they'll find out. This added to the case of the 14 year-old voter have convinced me that elections need to be administered nationally. You could get an electoral roll number automatically when you turn 18, like you get an NI number at 16.
jimbo11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it is illegal if a student is found to have voted twice the penalty can be one year in prison. plus or instead, a hefty fine. criminal record...damage to future employment..and probably removal from uni.authorities are going to check voting a lot more this year....be very careful what you do.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (63)
32.64%
Spring (36)
18.65%
Autumn/Fall (48)
24.87%
Winter (36)
18.65%
I love them all equally (10)
5.18%