Getting info out of the admin. people

Watch
This discussion is closed.
H1987
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I want to do economics at cambridge, but i dont want to do maths a-level (im doing it 4 as-level).

so i want 2 email them un ask it tat would be a prob. How do i start the mail, let alone go on with the rest???

thanks
Hannah
Report 16 years ago
Before emailing them have a look in the prospectus(if you havent already done this) and see if they have a list of subjects required for certain degrees. I know they have one in the oxford prospectus and it says maths is recommended for an economics degree. However i applied to do a degree without the recommended subjects and still got an offer so its not set in stone.
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't believe the prospectus! My daughter went to Open day at Pembroke (Cam) and looked around some of the other colleges too. Although it was suggested by Pembroke that AS maths would be OK, when she went to Queens' open day they basically said that if you haven't got full A2 Maths (and pref Further maths) not to even bother applying!
ANY course for conomics requires a very good grasp of Maths.... you will also have to choose your other Econ courses very very carefully if you haven't got Maths A2 - Exeter, St Andrews, York and Edinburgh are all happy with AS only.
Go to the Open days and ask .. but even then you may not get a straight answer - if you are not happy with full A2 Maths then look at Oxford for PPE or Economics and Management
powerball
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Geogger)
if you are not happy with full A2 Maths then look at Oxford for PPE or Economics and Management
Perhaps not the best idea... every higly rated university require maths for economics. In both the Bath and Nottingham open days they said 99% or so people had A level Maths. A friend of mine at LSE had lots of differential and exponential problems in his interview rather than Current Affaires and economic issues. Econ and Management (mainly economics as most applicants dont have a clue about the management side, myself included), having spoken to some students on interview, is also heavily maths based. There is no written mandatory requirement for Maths, but it would seriously jeopardise your chances. Of course if you are going to get a B or C in it then as suggested something like PPE or combined course is better for you.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by H1987)
I want to do economics at cambridge, but i dont want to do maths a-level (im doing it 4 as-level).

so i want 2 email them un ask it tat would be a prob. How do i start the mail, let alone go on with the rest???

thanks
As well as asking if you will be disadvantaged also ask how many current econ students at that college (per year - you should know how many places there are per year as well) gained a place with only maths AS because sometimes colleges don't like to disclose whether or not they are biased towards students with specific A2s.

Oh yes and like Geogger said, I wouldn't consider applying to Queen's because they are very pro-maths/further maths there
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads