Turn on thread page Beta

how to get into top law school? watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys...

im really worried, i am currently an as level student and i dont even know if im going to be able to get into a top law scholl like cam, oxford, warwick etc...

what do you think with my current *credentials*???

4 a's, 5 b's, 1 c, 1 d, at gcse
    I was in the ATC, (air training corp, young RAF)
    I have done alot of voluntery work, and was presented with a cetificate from the mayor.
    I am hopefully going (soon) to do work experince in a local solicitiors office.
    I am a member of the debateing society in my school, and i hope to go on to do competitions.
    I have a great interest in politics and current affairs, = i am a member of the conservative party, and have got involved along the lines of leaftleting etc...
    so far at as level i am predicted = A for Psychology, B for Government and Politics, B for Business Studies, C for Sociology.

I believe that if i work really i should be able to scrap a aab or aaa.

Do you think this is enough? Be brutally honest! please....i dont want to be dissapointed...

Any advice..things i should do to improve my chance?

Thank you so much!!!

jay

ReputationRep:
    It won't be good enough for Oxbridge, but if you do get an AAB prediction you should be able to get somewhere pretty good (although looking at your AS prediction I'm afraid to say it would seem a little unlikely, as A2 is definitely harder than AS). Also the A-levels you have chosen probably aren't amongst those which are the most respected by the best law departments. Sorry to be so negative.

(Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)

Do you think this is enough? Be brutally honest! please....i dont want to be dissapointed...

Thank you so much!!!

jay
    as the guy before said other than politics your a-level choices arent the most respected. however if you can scrap aab you should get a few offers. but one has to ask why exactly you would want to do a law degree? i see you are going to do some work experience which is good but you must remember that law is the most popular degree in the country and only a small fraction of those people graduating will actually go onto the high paid jobs you are probably hoping for.

i would imagine you could sucessfully apply to places such as cardiff and reading but i don't think the likes of oxbridge or the higher london uni's would take you since competition is *so* harsh.

anyway best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi yeh, from what you have said, it will be difficult for you to get into a good law school. Most applicants usually have studied English (Lit or Lang), History and a foreign language - although I think that some unis accept almost any combination. From your predicted AS grades - I think that you are unliikely to get predicted even higher for your A2 unless you pull something out of the bag in your AS`s. I would apply to less popular universities for a law degree if that is what you want to do, as has been already mentioned the competition will be very tough. On the other hand you could study for another degree and then do a law conversion course...I think these exist (my forte being veterinary medicine not law!)...from what friends have gone on to do etc.
    Basically, to summarize, I would work your backside off to get good grades in AS - be predicted at least AAB and then apply to some of the less popular law schools. I would also encourage you to read into the different areas of law and good cases in the media, as well as getting to know some lawyers/solictors etc and what they do in day-to-day life.

ReputationRep:
    If you interview well, some law schools might offer you ABB (but that would be places like UEA, Cardiff, Manchester etc).

ReputationRep:
    i'd recommend studying a slightly less competitive course at a good uni and then if you are still set on law, do the conversion course (CPE) after your degree.

if you are hoping to work in a law firm or at chambers, then your gcse grades are a bit low for the bigger firms/sets, so realistically, you'd have to get at least AAB at A-level and a good/high 2:1 at uni to offset your comparatively low gcse grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    hey guys...

im really worried, i am currently an as level student and i dont even know if im going to be able to get into a top law scholl like cam, oxford, warwick etc...

what do you think with my current *credentials*???

4 a's, 5 b's, 1 c, 1 d, at gcse
    I was in the ATC, (air training corp, young RAF)
    I have done alot of voluntery work, and was presented with a cetificate from the mayor.
    I am hopefully going (soon) to do work experince in a local solicitiors office.
    I am a member of the debateing society in my school, and i hope to go on to do competitions.
    I have a great interest in politics and current affairs, = i am a member of the conservative party, and have got involved along the lines of leaftleting etc...
    so far at as level i am predicted = A for Psychology, B for Government and Politics, B for Business Studies, C for Sociology.

Thank you so much!!!

jay

DONT LISTEN to all that advice, if you wana do law, go for it, I have just been accepted at warwick, do research get in touch with the law school, my personal statement was real good so if u need a hand gis a shout, dont let anyone tell you that you cant get into a top law school, and wen u do apply before you do law at individual law schools, unis i would say are excellent are warwick, brum leicester, essex cam ox, durham UEA ETC

SUNNYX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    If you interview well, some law schools might offer you ABB (but that would be places like UEA, Cardiff, Manchester etc).
    Manchester doesn't interview (well it didn't me anyway). And, anyway, Manchester is extremely competitive - 3,000 apps for 121 places last year so they are unlikely to offer less than AAB. It is also ranked around 7th for law in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    It won't be good enough for Oxbridge, but if you do get an AAB prediction you should be able to get somewhere pretty good (although looking at your AS prediction I'm afraid to say it would seem a little unlikely, as A2 is definitely harder than AS). Also the A-levels you have chosen probably aren't amongst those which are the most respected by the best law departments. Sorry to be so negative.
    Presumbably he could possibly get into Oxbridge if he were predicted 3 A's though. Or he would at least get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Where can I obtain an accurate ranking of the Law School in UK?
    I am more looking forward to in terms of 'prestige' (meaning recognition by employers)

Just a top 10 ranking will do....

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    Manchester doesn't interview (well it didn't me anyway). And, anyway, Manchester is extremely competitive - 3,000 apps for 121 places last year so they are unlikely to offer less than AAB. It is also ranked around 7th for law in the UK.
    They interview quite a number of borderline candidates, and most of the candidates in the local area.

ReputationRep:
    From a 'brutally honest' opinion, I think that you should try really hard to pull your grades up to an AAB which may make getting into a top law school much easier.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you pull you AS results up you are in with a fighting chance but if you get less than AAB + for AS you are unlikely to get a place at a top law school but you will be ok if you put the work in this year good luck

ReputationRep:
    You could ask your teachers for help. I believe anything is possible with hard work and the right study techniques and discipline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    They interview quite a number of borderline candidates, and most of the candidates in the local area.
    Oh right. Didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me. How do you know about this then. Are you thinking of doing Law at Manchester - it would be good to find someone else is my position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazing)
    Presumbably he could possibly get into Oxbridge if he were predicted 3 A's though. Or he would at least get an interview.
    Yes but he said he was predicted ABBC at AS, so unless he does considerably better than expected then it's unlikely that he'll be predicted better than ABB or possibly AAB -- remember A2 is harder than AS.

ReputationRep:
    law schools can somtimes make lower offers if you seem to be particularly enthusiastic. my friend got an offer for Bristol of ABC which was much lower than their usual offers. But if i'm totally honest law is so competitive after graduation. A relative of mine got a first from cambridge and got a place in a presitgous Baristers chambers. Howeve, as Baristers are free lance he could not get any work and in the end did a conversion course and is working as a soliciter. Also even if you do get a lower offer from one of the good universities many firms want a minimum of 26 ucas points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Yes but he said he was predicted ABBC at AS, so unless he does considerably better than expected then it's unlikely that he'll be predicted better than ABB or possibly AAB -- remember A2 is harder than AS.
    AS/A level predictions at this stage aren't very good indicators of what his final results will be, especialy if he's gone to a college rather than carrying on at his old schools sixth form where they might be able to judge his abilities better. I have a friend in Year 13 who was predicted mostly Cs and 1 B for AS level, and he came out with 4 As quite comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    my advice is just to work really hard this year and do your best. so what if you don't get 4 A's it isn't the end of the world and if you get your predicted grades you could definately get into a good law school, perhaps not oxbridge, but still somewhere well respected. i think the best thing you could do is to concentrate on the sociology and if you can at least pull it up to a B then an ABBB at A-level certainly wont be scoffed at.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I dont want to discourage you from applying but based on what you have said it is unlikely that you will get into Oxbridge. I applied this year with a 3 A prediction and done loads of work experience etc interview went well but got a rejection.
    In the end i was rejected from 5 of my six choices, Cambridge, Durham, Notts, Bristol and Warwick but Aberdeen made me a 3 B offer. I wasnt planning on going there but i am going for a look around this friday to see if i will like the place.
    Law is a VERY competitive subject but there is no reason why, even with your predicted grades, you should not aim high and apply for Oxbridge. Just dont be too dissapointed if you dont get in like i was.
    Good luck to you though, and im sure if u want it, things will work out.
    As for me, looks like Aberdeen here i come!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.