Keele University
Keele

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Accommendation???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Stimpej
In all seriousness though, a connection that you pay a monthly fee for isn't a completely ludicrous idea (at least in my opinion). I'm sure a fair number would subscribe and it would mean less work for the monitors!

It would still have to be limited obviously, but in a way that more closely matches the ISP's that some of us might have grown used to :smile:

been there, asked before, got a reasonoble answer, which is a rarity where they are concerned. basically, it ain't gunna happen.

as i understood it:

hallsnet is linked into keele's actual university web access. keele's uni web access is linked to the JANET backbone, which is some kind of academic communications backbone for the universities and education establishments in the uk. JANET provide a service based upon the assumption that the uni's involved will use it only for academic purposes. this, unfortunately, does not involve downloading large amounts of music and videos of a questionable legality. keele can't do anything about it.

thats how i understood it from what i read and what people said.

the basic idea is, don't waste your breath.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 101
you can dial onto the net with some ancient technology (56k) though can't you? using the keycom crap I mean. whats stopping them whacking a convertor on there and making it DSL?
Reply 102
its an internal network of tefelopes. and besides, keele don't want to get themselves into a legal minefield. there was a keele compsoc ftp server. but hallsnet had it taken down when it was revealed that **** was being shared on it that wasn't kosher copyright-wise. im just going to drag my laptop down to my mates house in 'castle and rape the net there. then bring it back up to keele. its back to grassroots file sharing - i have an external hard drive full of music and films.....
Reply 103
Matt B
its an internal network of tefelopes. and besides, keele don't want to get themselves into a legal minefield. there was a keele compsoc ftp server. but hallsnet had it taken down when it was revealed that **** was being shared on it that wasn't kosher copyright-wise. im just going to drag my laptop down to my mates house in 'castle and rape the net there. then bring it back up to keele. its back to grassroots file sharing - i have an external hard drive full of music and films.....

awesome, well I'll just have to keep a list of crap that I want/need then when I get back home I'll do it there. NTL are bringing out a 10mbit conn before the end of the year apparently!

Latest