Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was just wonderin where other music students have applied to for uni, and whether you have recieved any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    I havent applied for music but one of my friends has, they applied at york, durham, sussex? and leeds maybe sum others and got rejected by york but got affered AAB with grade 8 voice and piano, i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    i was just wonderin where other music students have applied to for uni, and whether you have recieved any offers yet?
    hi munchie_rox i applied to read music at cambridge leeds sheffield nottingham bristol and birmingham.. what bout yourself? i have offers from leeds sheffield bristol and nottingham but haven't heard from cambridge yet. let me know..
    kat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat1234)
    hi munchie_rox i applied to read music at cambridge leeds sheffield nottingham bristol and birmingham.. what bout yourself? i have offers from leeds sheffield bristol and nottingham but haven't heard from cambridge yet. let me know..
    kat
    i applied to leeds, city, cambridge, kings, edingburgh(dunno y!) and also applied to b'ham conservatoire, an guildhall school of musik. Heard off leeds an city pooled for cam, accepted at b'ham dunno guildhall! What college at cam?

ReputationRep:
    i applied to leeds, city, cambridge, kings, edingburgh(dunno y!) and also applied to b'ham conservatoire, an guildhall school of musik. Heard off leeds an city pooled for cam, accepted at b'ham dunno guildhall! What college at cam?
    selwyn college but i haven't heard anything yet at all.. which is so annoying!! what college were you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat1234)
    selwyn college but i haven't heard anything yet at all.. which is so annoying!! what college were you?
    lol! i applied to kings, wld quite like to go to churchill, cuz they are very modern and i think may appreciate a jazz player more?! but im just hopin i get a phone call at all!

ReputationRep:
    lol! i applied to kings, wld quite like to go to churchill, cuz they are very modern and i think may appreciate a jazz player more?! but im just hopin i get a phone call at all!
    im just hoping to get a letter telling me something!! why are they putting me through this!!! good luck with churchill hope you get in

ReputationRep:
    my friend has just been accepted to clare college, cambridge for music. She's pretty awesome, plays in NYO :cool:

ReputationRep:
    hiya!
    nice to hear fellow musicians still dont know anything-like me!
    i wonder why there is alot of weird things going on with cam music people this yr!
    ive got offers from Nottingham and b'ham- AAB royal holloway and durham ABC / BBB and kings col london
    dont know which 1 to pick if dont get in at cam!
    what about u munchie -altho if uve already sed-ignore!
    xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat)
    hiya!
    nice to hear fellow musicians still dont know anything-like me!
    i wonder why there is alot of weird things going on with cam music people this yr!
    ive got offers from Nottingham and b'ham- AAB royal holloway and durham ABC / BBB and kings col london
    dont know which 1 to pick if dont get in at cam!
    what about u munchie -altho if uve already sed-ignore!
    xxxxx

what ave u got offered frm Kings? see previous posts for what i have applied to. There isnt a lot of music students this year apparently, so i think we shld all b given places (with free accomodation and two manservants, as well as a 1878 steinway in the room!)

ReputationRep:
    what ave u got offered frm Kings? see previous posts for what i have applied to. There isnt a lot of music students this year apparently, so i think we shld all b given places (with free accomodation and two manservants, as well as a 1878 steinway in the room!)
    i dont know i got there offer a few wks ago, but they didnt specify grades, and cos it was then xmas ucas havnt yet told me wot srades! so ill hav 2 wait till they get used 2 it. im getting more used 2 the idea of going to kings col london as surley london is the perfect place 4 a musican!
    well at robinson there was 6 applicants which i thought was qite alot seen as there are only 2 places 4 music and 1 of them will be the organ scholars!
    neway just hope i hear 2moz if not they WILL get a phone call!

ReputationRep:
    Kings isn't too good for music, i've been told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    really?
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat)
    really?
    why?
    I've heard there aren't enough practise rooms, i'd advise going to look round before you totally commit - as with any uni really.

ReputationRep:
    kings london?

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody inform me as the prestige associated with going to the Royal Northern College of Music? as a musician?

ReputationRep:
    i am seriously considering going to kings london now, the course looks amazing! what is so bad about it? how exciting would it be 2 live there! but also rather scary!

ReputationRep:
    Kings College London itself is great, as is London. I'm having a great time, and really enjoying my physics and computer science courses! I just spoke to somebody a few weeks ago that was really annoyed at the lack of practice rooms, that's all. I don't know how true this is, and in fact you never know how true something is until you check it out yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Kings College London itself is great, as is London. I'm having a great time, and really enjoying my physics and computer science courses! I just spoke to somebody a few weeks ago that was really annoyed at the lack of practice rooms, that's all. I don't know how true this is, and in fact you never know how true something is until you check it out yourself.
    true!

how do find the cost of living there and the accomodation?

also what is it like to live in a big city? i mean i have only ever been o london once when i was 7 so its not as if i know the area!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat)
    true!

how do find the cost of living there and the accomodation?

also what is it like to live in a big city? i mean i have only ever been o london once when i was 7 so its not as if i know the area!
    hello peeps!

has anyone pooled for music or Cambs heard anything at all yet? I don't know of any musicians who have had phone calls - I cetainly haven't (b'stards!! ) - but a friend of mine got a straight offer from the pool to Churchill last year, without another interview so heere's hoping still.

I've applied to York, Royal Holloway, Durham, Leeds and cardiff as well as Cambs and have BBB offers from all except Cambs. I have another audition at Royal Holloway in March for their RCM partnership. I didn't apply to conservatoires because I wanted to go the academic route.

KCL was highly recommended to me by my instrumental teacher and one of my friend's dads teaches there, but I really didn't fancy living in central London, never mind the exprense, which would have been a major problem.

Being in NYO sounds great (warning - sour grapes alert!!) but the residentials cost £400 a time which my mum (single parent) just can't afford, not to mention all the hidden costs of the expectation of having 'decent' instruments. Mine are good quality but old and second-hand - not quite up to the 'chewing gum to keep the cork on' standard, but almost! Sorry I'm off on one now, but I get really cross about all this! I went to a crap comprehensive with loads of staff absences so I had to teach myself GCSE sciences at the end, can't afford the 'ridiculous-sum-per-hour' professors charge for instrumental lessons ) though my woodwond teacher (BLESS HIM - I ADORE HIM!!) sweetly charges me 'normal' rates then gives me three hour lessons and 'forgets'...

And I'm STILL doing OK compared to other people who've had it all AND got the grades for Cambridge. When is it my turn to get a break? (You can tell I'm pee'd off cos I haven't heard from Cam can't you??

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.