The Student Room Group

UCL vs. Warwick for Chemistry?

Okay... I'm applying to uni next year to read Chemistry and I know it's a bit premature but I like to plan ahead.
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Warwick vs. UCL? I already know I don't want to be too far away from London (cos I'll get homesick) but I know that there isn't much of a campus feel to UCL, which is slightly offputting. I heard that the library at Warwick isn't so great for Chemistry (like seriously starved of textbooks and journals, apparently :eek: ) but that it has a great Chemistry department... I want to get the best out of uni and make the most of it so anyone got any first (or even second) hand info of what each uni is like? I respect the fact that everyone has their own opinion :smile:
Reply 1
As far as the course goes I don't think there's much to choose between them.

The big difference is Warwick is a campus uni in the middle of nowhere, whilst UCL is in the centre of London. That's really the main thing, in my book, to consider when applying. Do you want to be in the big city with all the events, clubs and well everything at your doorstep, or do you want the more community feel of Warwick?

Either way, apply to both, visit them, and then make your decision about which one you really want to go to. A visit is essential.
Reply 2
If you're mainly concerned about Chemistry, then Warwick is a relatively new university and the chemical research they do isn't as great as the big six chemistry departments in England.

There are other factors to consider. Location and the type of campus and all the usual business in choosing a university...
Reply 3
I just checked the times league table (i know u shouldn't always read into them) but UCL is 10th for chemistry while warwick is 5th! Also warwick has a more campus feel to it! trust i live near warwick uni.

Although tht doesn't necessarily mean go to warwick i suggest u check both uni's out and make a very thought out decision which u prefer and go for it.
Reply 4
I applied to both of these for chemistry this year and got into both of them easily but I can tell you that UCL do proper interviews with chemistry questions whereas Warwick wasn't an interview it was just a group question and answer session. I liked the Warwick chemistry department better than UCL as I loved their new labs but UCL do have the 5* for research and so are less likely to close in the future. If I had to choose between the two then I would choose UCL because it is in a city and Warwick seemed a bit isolated as you need to get on a bus to get anywhere. In the end I declined both offers and put Imperial as my first choice and I am going there in October. Hope this helps. : )
Tough call, a degree from either is good.
King_kul
I just checked the times league table (i know u shouldn't always read into them) but UCL is 10th for chemistry while warwick is 5th! Also warwick has a more campus feel to it! trust i live near warwick uni.

Although tht doesn't necessarily mean go to warwick i suggest u check both uni's out and make a very thought out decision which u prefer and go for it.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those things.
Reply 7
My boyfriend looked at Warwick for Chemistry, and I know that he almost put it as his insurance (after Cambridge) but chose Bristol. He loved Warwick's labs and the equipment, but what put him off was that its research wasn't as highly renowned as in some places. That was important to him because he wants to make a profession of being a research scientist/professor, but it might not be as big a deal to you.
Reply 8
do u think u can cope with as math cos u only got a c at gcse...
Reply 9
I gots me loads of mates who aced AS maths last year = being their best friend this year :biggrin:
Besides, our GCSE Maths teacher was appalling. I slept most lessons. I'm not that bad at Maths, I just forget it very easily. Plus I bin doing work over the holidays... I might not get an A but I'm not gonna fail.
im startin at bristol in oct to do chem.

i also aplied 2 warwick, but not ucl.i decided against wariwck coz even tho the campus atmosphere is brill , wen u move out in ur 2nd yr, the closest houses are somethin like 40 mins away.
i didnt aply 4 ucl coz its a bit close 2 home-but i have friends goin there who say its ab gorge!
regarding both of them... they have risen in the league tables.
both have beta repuations generally rather than specifically with chemistry.

as 4 maths- it wasnt my strongest subject either-but i found that puttin loadsa effort helped (obviosly!)

Latest

Trending

Trending