Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mods, I think this is in the right place? Well, I have basically pissed about in my food course lessons over the past year, and I am currently at a D in mt mock exam, I dont want this to be my final exam, so do you have any tips of what the exam will be like, and how much of it is made up of the ''making'' bit and the ''writing'' bit? We have just started doing coursework and stuff and I am really going to push myself that little bit further to acheieve my full potential, but I am really worried about this year as I know how important this year is and I dont want to **** it up (Yr 11) so any tips about the food course would be much appreciated.

Are you talking about the GCSE Food Tech exam? If so I done it this year, got an A and done nothing all the two years apart from cook and nothing... I done my coursework which was supposed to be done over 1year in a week but only becuase I spent all day and all night on it during that week, I dont advise it. When you come to do your coursework do it as you go along and make sure its planned properly and when you are planning on the stuff you are making make sure its not simple and involves some skills and not overly complicated which is going to bring your practical mark down. The coursework is so long! What was your coursework question thing?

If you need anything else just ask

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, yes that is the exam I am talking about. What coursework did you do? I have to design a healthy meal for a school canteen, so keep your eyes peeled for a questionaire I will be posting in the next few weeks to help me with my research. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    hi ya shaun! Im currently doing a food degree @ uni and am going to train to be a food teacher.

Food cw involves alot of planning. do alot of background research. Could you interview your head of catering? ask her about suppliers etc. what about e-mail/looking at the government website for lastest publications on food in schools - there are lots. Keep copies of all e-mail and put them in your folder.

When planning your products you need to remember the nutritional guidelines/targets. you dont say for which age group you are doing it. the nutritional needs of children vary greatly between the ages. Get back to me with the ages and i will help you with nutrition.

You also need to remeber to make it sutiable for industry. Will the product be able to be stored for 3-4 days without going yucky? cost? packaging?

Also very important is the specification. keep refering back to it all throughout your making. and your specification should be made up from info from your background research i.e. My product will be high in fibre because i have found that young people only eat 1/2 the recommended amount of fibre per day.

Thats abit rambled. hope you understand. get back to me if you have any questions!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hear food tech is quite tricky isn't it? Very respected though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Yeah I hear food tech is quite tricky isn't it? Very respected though.

you trying to be funny?

(Original post by Shaun O'Keefe)
    Thanks, yes that is the exam I am talking about. What coursework did you do? I have to design a healthy meal for a school canteen, so keep your eyes peeled for a questionaire I will be posting in the next few weeks to help me with my research. Thanks for the advice.
    It was to design a low cost meal for one to be sold in a supermarket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super-Star)
    you trying to be funny?
    Not at all - I hear it's tricky, but respected.. Why would that be funny? Do you not agree?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you say it is respected? I just treat it like a normal subject, it can be tricky at times. But I have actually became a good cook because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I was of the belief it was one of the 'respected' subjects because of the work-load and the actual content is quite hard to get your head round and all. Quite complex. That's the word on the street anyway. Hey I was wondering, do you need to have done Food Tech GCSE to become a cook?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone says its mickey mouse. But if you want to be a chef, then..

ReputationRep:
    I took GCSE Food Tech, I didn't like it but I ended up getting an A* suprisingly. I was told by people a year older than me taking food tech that I'll be fine because it's quite easy to get a good grade and I guess they were right because I haven't a clue how I ended up getttin an A*. I think it's just best to get the coursework up to a high standard cos that was worth 60% so you go into the written exam with a good grade behind you if things don't go as welll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lykabelle)
    I took GCSE Food Tech, I didn't like it but I ended up getting an A* suprisingly. I was told by people a year older than me taking food tech that I'll be fine because it's quite easy to get a good grade and I guess they were right because I haven't a clue how I ended up getttin an A*. I think it's just best to get the coursework up to a high standard cos that was worth 60% so you go into the written exam with a good grade behind you if things don't go as welll.
    i did as-level, one of the worst subjects ever, massive coursework, large case-study,and hard exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs. Political)
    i did as-level, one of the worst subjects ever, massive coursework, large case-study,and hard exam
    woah, I know I wouldn't be able to take food technology to as level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun O'Keefe)
    i did that coursework! I was also predicted a C/D :p: But got 99/102. My exambord was Edexcel, whats yours?
    For advice i would say a lot of research but try and fit it in 3 pages because we could only have a maximum of 40 pages for the coursework (dont no if thats the same for you thou). Have a range of research, desk and field, so questionnaires is a big yes and try surveying a cook at your school canteen as well, worked for me Also research on the food standards agency..etc.
    Also the CGP Food Technology book really helped me alot in organising and presenting and basicly helping me step by step in my coursework! So thats very useful! Erm.. what else... do a range of initial ideas, such as, my courswork was Starter, Main Course and Dessert, so i would do 3 pages of initial ideas on each one. Also we had a program installed into the computers on calcultaing the calories, fat levels, carbohydrates...etc by entering the ingrediants of our chosen dishes, so if you have that program, its very useful and will gain you extra marks. I cant think of anything else but feel free to PM me if you like.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I've just got my GCSE exam result for this subject. I advise you to buy the Lonsdale GCSE Food Technology Revision Guide as it is great for coursework. Try to do practical work as much as you can and use your time wisely by dividing the number of weeks you have to complete it by the number of sections. For coursework, I think 20% is for the writing and 40% for the practical, but you have a written exam at the end which makes up the other 40% of the marks. If you have any specific questions then feel free toget in touch again. Sorry this isn't very helpful.

i agree with the trying to do as many practicles as possible, the more prototypes/developments the better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Oh, I was of the belief it was one of the 'respected' subjects because of the work-load and the actual content is quite hard to get your head round and all. Quite complex. That's the word on the street anyway. Hey I was wondering, do you need to have done Food Tech GCSE to become a cook?
    I can sense the sasrcasm there. :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    I can sense the sasrcasm there. :rolleyes: :p:
    people don't realise how much work there is to do for food tech- as level is even worse than gcse (which i didn't sit,)but people should realise that it is not just about becoming a cook, it's about nutrtion, it's the government's idea of a cop out- they should do this subject and they'll learn how to eat healthily- after doing this subject i know all you need to know, all the slogans, all the crap- i need a break

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in AQA food tech. I put it down partially to this book written by their principal examiner. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...431029-7126054
    Another great one is http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...431029-7126054
    Ask your teacher to get a free evaluation copy from publisher Collins

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.