Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the Oxford college you go to affects your employment prospects? Obviously some colleges have better reputations than others, prestige wise, and there are academic differences.

But would a 2.1 from one college change your prospects from a 2.1 from another college?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    But would a 2.1 from one college change your prospects from a 2.1 from another college?
    You base your question on a false premise. Degrees are not issued by colleges, they are examined for and issued centrally by the University. So basically the answer's no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    You base your question on a false premise. Degrees are not issued by colleges, they are examined for and issued centrally by the University. So basically the answer's no.
    I do not base my question on a false premise, I am quite aware that degrees are issued by the University centrally. My point is that when filling out a job application, or completing a CV, you would probably state which college you attended. And my question is, as a rule, whether an employer may value one college over another?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    I do not base my question on a false premise, I am quite aware that degrees are issued by the University centrally. My point is that when filling out a job application, or completing a CV, you would probably state which college you attended. And my question is, as a rule, whether an employer may value one college over another?
    Your original post certainly implied that you thought that individual colleges issued degrees... however in answer to your current question I would think they almost certainly wouldn't care in the slightest, although it's possible that certain colleges might be better for "networking" (for example they used to say that Magdalen men governed the world, not true anymore though). It's possible that a degree from one of the old colleges might look very slightly more prestigious than a degree from one of the ex-women's colleges, but it's very superficial as it's exactly the same degree after all.

ReputationRep:
    If degrees are issued by the university why *would* the college make a difference?? Surely it defies logic or am I missing something...

The only thing can think of is the older the College is, the more likely you are to meet someone who went there (more years, more students) and so you might get lucky and get an employer who's all 'Ahh, you're a [insert college name here] graduate are you? One of us old boy, lets go sip Pimms, I'll buy you a drink and a riverside ride and we'll sing [insert college name here] songs till the early hours wearing matching scarves and ties'

honestly with some of the posts (not really this one overly) I wouldn't blame anyone reading these forums if they got the impression that Oxbridge wannabes are a bunch of status snogging college whores...

But I'm probably just saying that because I applied to Churchill

ReputationRep:
    well i have just filled out some online application forms for some internships at a couple of investment banks and the only option was to select 'Oxford University', there was no option to nominate a certain college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagzt)
    well i have just filled out some online application forms for some internships at a couple of investment banks and the only option was to select 'Oxford University', there was no option to nominate a certain college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagzt)
    Good for some

As for the initial question, whilst Christ Church, Balliol or Merton may seem more prestigious than LMH, Pembroke or Somerville, it's unlikely to be the difference between getting or not getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Good for some

As for the initial question, whilst Christ Church, Balliol or Merton may seem more prestigious than LMH, Pembroke or Somerville, it's unlikely to be the difference between getting or not getting a job.

I hate how you always mention *Pembroke*
    Last year (2003) out of the 8 historians--7 got Firsts (the 8th got a 2:1), and one of the First's was the top out of the whole uni! Bloody impressive i'd say............

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.