Turn on thread page Beta

Difference between rap and hip-hop watch

ReputationRep:
    from wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop

so according to that hiphop is the music and an MC 'raps' over it.
    (you know rap stands for rhythmically applied poetry -you learn something every day )

ReputationRep:
    As it's already been mentioned: Rap is the genre of music and Hip-Hop is the culture which includes Breakdancing, fashion, slang etc etc.

However, some people do say that Hip-Hop is a genre of music and rap is totally different than Hip-Hop. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as its not really significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiplexed)
    As it's already been mentioned: Rap is the genre of music and Hip-Hop is the culture which includes Breakdancing, fashion, slang etc etc.

However, some people do say that Hip-Hop is a genre of music and rap is totally different than Hip-Hop. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as its not really significant.
    Quite a few serious guides to hip-hop like the wikipedia one would disagree with you. Then again it depends how you decide to define rap and hip-hop. People have talked as hip-hop as a culture and some as a music genre. It depends how you what to look at it. Rock can be seen as a culture too... but when discussing such things, we should probably remain at the musical level as otherwise people bring in their sentimental interpretation of the music genre: you end up getting people telling you "house music" isn't a genre it's a state of mind and all that kind of *******s.

Rap is just a form of singing, strictly speaking. I think the proof for this is that you can rap over any kind of music but it doesn't make the track hip-hop or rap music. However most of the tracks over which artists rap are hip-hop tracks so by extension, people sometimes refer to music over which people rap as "rap music" and sometimes are a bit lazy and say just "rap".

In the same way, a hip-hop track doesn't strictly need any rap vocals. Anyone who's into DJ Shadow, DJ Cam or the Herbaliser will know that.

Anyway, it's this way that I distinguish rap and hip-hop but most of the time "rap music" (or sometimes simply called rap) is hip-hop as a music genre. SO if you want to consider hip-hop as a culture, you can say that the music genre: rap music/hip-hop is part of it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.